Shoutbox

2 versions of msn installable? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: 2 versions of msn installable? (/showthread.php?tid=32474)

2 versions of msn installable? by M73A on 10-03-2004 at 08:37 PM

is it possible to install msn 7 beta and still have msn 6.2. when u install 7 beta it says a previous version of msn is installed...is there a way to install it and keep the previous verion? so u can use both without any trouble?

RE: 2 versions of msn installable? by Tochjo on 10-03-2004 at 08:41 PM

According to toddy it's possible (see also toddy's reply to Installing 6.2 AND 7):

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
yes u can have both on your computer. after your install 6.2, rename the folder to "msn messsenger 6.2" and then run the installer for 7. and u will have both on your computer
Do note that people have reported problems in that thread regarding this method.
RE: 2 versions of msn installable? by kingboy on 10-03-2004 at 08:41 PM

install 6.2, then rename the install folder to something else, ie: MSN Messenger 6.2. Then install 7.0. Make sure you patch both of them with a Polygammy patch otherwise you will only be able to run one of them

RE: 2 versions of msn installable? by RaceProUK on 10-04-2004 at 07:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kingboy
Make sure you patch both of them with a Polygammy patch otherwise you will only be able to run one of them
So that's what went wrong on mine... no polygamy on v7!

<offtopic>
<<< And what do you know... exactly one year on the forum, and exactly 1000 posts as of now!
</offtopic>
RE: 2 versions of msn installable? by M73A on 10-04-2004 at 06:19 PM

has anyone got polygamy that works with version 7? i already have it on 6.2. ive heard theres one on some spanish site but i cant find it. can anyone tell me where it is or help in any way?

RE: 2 versions of msn installable? by Millenium_edition on 10-04-2004 at 06:26 PM

it's on mess.be :rolleyes:

open your eyes mates!

RE: 2 versions of msn installable? by M73A on 10-04-2004 at 06:37 PM

oh found it, derrrr sorry

RE: 2 versions of msn installable? by bungleMX on 10-05-2004 at 05:16 PM

but, if I reneme msn messenger (version 6.2) to something like msnmessenger62, plus, msnshell and stuff like that will continue working even if the path has changed¿?

RE: 2 versions of msn installable? by toddy on 10-05-2004 at 05:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bungleMX
but, if I reneme msn messenger (version 6.2) to something like msnmessenger62, plus, msnshell and stuff like that will continue working even if the path has changed¿?

u don't rename the .exe u rename the folder where msn is
RE: 2 versions of msn installable? by prabvoodoo3dfx on 10-05-2004 at 09:35 PM

hiz guys thanks for guide... certainly worked for me..and i feel beter havein both 7 and 6.2 in my com... usin messenger without plus makes me feel as if messenger 7 is handicapped lol... the guide is preety clear except for one part...so just makin it clear for the newer readers...and recapping...

make sure u uninstall 7 and only have 6.2 in your computer..patch it with polygammy...[ DON'T USE JRNZLOADER or any loading programmes use the polygammy patch-easily available on Mess.be ] then... rename your msn messenger folder to something else a good guideline would just to add 6.2 behind the folderz name... after this install messenger 7 and patch it with messenger 7 polygammy patch [ again use the patch which is easily available on mess.be. Don 't use any loaders ] after this aloha messenger 7 is easily available and if you want to use 6.2 go to ur renamed folder and open it...

there you have it messenger 6.2 and 7 in your computer..
most ppl i know are using loaders and thatz what causing the problems not allwing ppl to have both versions in their computer...you have to use the polygammy patch ~!!!

RE: 2 versions of msn installable? by stuartbennett on 10-13-2004 at 09:50 AM

cool sounds good i might try this.

sorry people you are all being deceived im really good when it comes to using computers i followed the instructions given on this thread and it isnt possible to have both this cannot ever be accomplished its all lies.

RE: 2 versions of msn installable? by FrozernFire on 10-13-2004 at 11:04 AM

it's possible... i just did it after following the instructions

RE: 2 versions of msn installable? by stuartbennett on 10-13-2004 at 11:36 AM

i dont see how let me talk ya through it.

as it says i only have 6.2 installed i installed a polygamy patch although i dont know if its the right 1 as none of them are clearly marked as compatable with 6.2 only 6.1. i then renamed the folder to by adding 6.2 at the end as instructed then installed msn 7.0 and it overwrites my messenger 6.2 so therefore it cannot be accomplished.

RE: 2 versions of msn installable? by FrozernFire on 10-13-2004 at 01:44 PM

hmm interesting. 7.0 is only supposed to install it to Msn Messenger not Msn Messenger 6.2. so therefore, you must change the target for the installation of 7.0 yourself to Msn Messenger. and anyway remember put the patch onto 7.0 so that u can sign in

RE: 2 versions of msn installable? by stuartbennett on 10-13-2004 at 02:32 PM

but ur missing the point the 7.0 installer doesnt have the option to determine the target directory it puts it where it feels like putting it its the only installer ive ever seen that does have a destination path screen.

RE: 2 versions of msn installable? by FrozernFire on 10-14-2004 at 01:18 PM

but anyway, just to let you know, after i patched msn 7.0 with the polygamy, i repaired it with the installer as there was some trouble. then i ran it. after that, i could open msn 6.2 too. so all you have to do is just to repair it first and run it BEFORE you run 6.2, like what i do. funnily the repair does not cover polygamy.

im having them both running together now.

RE: 2 versions of msn installable? by stuartbennett on 10-14-2004 at 05:31 PM

hi there

well right now i cant even retry this proceedure my computers died the hard drive is undetectable therefore i cant boot my machine it looks like its going to take a total reformat of the computer to fix it which ill only be able to do if i can by some miracle get the drivers for my hard drive from the computer manufacturer "thepcmanuk.com" meanwhile i am using my dads pc to go online and for my every day stuff. anyways what good is running both messengers when 7.0 forces you to reinstall 6.2 everytime you try to do a sign in?

RE: 2 versions of msn installable? by toddy on 10-14-2004 at 05:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett

hi there

well right now i cant even retry this proceedure my computers died the hard drive is undetectable therefore i cant boot my machine it looks like its going to take a total reformat of the computer to fix it which ill only be able to do if i can by some miracle get the drivers for my hard drive from the computer manufacturer "thepcmanuk.com" meanwhile i am using my dads pc to go online and for my every day stuff. anyways what good is running both messengers when 7.0 forces you to reinstall 6.2 everytime you try to do a sign in?

u can use the CVR patch to stop it makin you downgrade to 6.2, it can be found on http://www.mess.be
RE: 2 versions of msn installable? by stuartbennett on 10-14-2004 at 06:02 PM

thanks ill try that