Shoutbox

Steven Hawkings admits he was incorrect. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Steven Hawkings admits he was incorrect. (/showthread.php?tid=32513)

Steven Hawkings admits he was incorrect. by user27089 on 10-04-2004 at 09:22 PM

this is an interesting article

Hawking's U-Turn
Stephen hawking has dramatically announced the he's been wrong about black holes for the last 30 years. The world's most famous living scientist now believes that black holes don't destroy everything thats sucked into them. Instead, information about particles that have been sucken in can leak out over time.

Hawking's new theory concernts the black hole's event horizon - its 'surface', from which matter, energy and light cannot even escampi the hole's awsome gravitational grasp. Hawking believes that tiny flunctuations on the event horizon allow information, such as energy stats of atoms, to escape.

Its a radical departure from his own famouse theort, called Hawking radiation. Proposed in 1974, Hawking radiation holds that black holes emit energy, causing them to shrink and eventually explode - this forever removes information about the particles from our universe, but the new theory scuppers that possibility. "I'm sorry to dissapoint science fiction fans, but if information is preserved, there is no possibility of using black holes to travel to other universes," he says.

from Focus magazine that my dad bought, i can't believe i copied that out

RE: Steven Hawkings admits he was incorrect. by Ginger on 10-04-2004 at 09:34 PM

I dont think im smart enough to understand that

RE: Steven Hawkings admits he was incorrect. by andrey on 10-04-2004 at 10:12 PM

Heard about that some months ago...
I think it has something to do with some law of conservation of energy in the universe and that it can just be transformed and not be removed...:rolleyes:...
...whatever
[Image: old_news.jpg]

RE: Steven Hawkings admits he was incorrect. by Alamarco2 on 10-04-2004 at 10:15 PM

I saw this a while ago. Very interesting though. I like any kind of science, except biology.

In the article I read it summed it up better.

Ex: A black hole will suck in an asteroid then later on in it's life release the asteroid in a mangled form.

Google News is good for this kind of stuff. I also visit New Scientist

RE: Steven Hawkings admits he was incorrect. by RebelSean on 10-04-2004 at 11:02 PM

I also hurd this awhile back...Like maby a year ago or so when my Science teacher talked to us about it...Anyways, I sorta understand it abit, but then again I don't :p...

RE: Steven Hawkings admits he was incorrect. by user27089 on 10-05-2004 at 03:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sean
I also hurd this awhile back...Like maby a year ago or so when my Science teacher talked to us about it...Anyways, I sorta understand it abit, but then again I don't :p...

I'm not sure why i severely doubt that you already knew... i'm not sure why, just past experiences, but don't matter.

I found it quite interesting, what he basically means is that instead of the black holes actually sucking everything into it and destroying it instantly, instead, the particles get let out gradually over time, and they are not destroyed. Completely changing his theory.
RE: Steven Hawkings admits he was incorrect. by azn angel on 10-06-2004 at 10:16 AM

pretty interesting stuff. it would be great to witness something like this. it reminds me of the big bang where did the big bang come from and what was before space. makes you ponder your existance.

RE: Steven Hawkings admits he was incorrect. by KeyStorm on 10-06-2004 at 10:19 AM

Whatever Andrey said about "OLD NEWS"... :dodgy: Traxor.

Anyway, I made a couple of minor changes to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hawking as it happened. Take a look, you might find it interesting.

RE: Steven Hawkings admits he was incorrect. by user27089 on 10-06-2004 at 06:46 PM

Stephen William Hawking, CH CBE FRS (born January 8, 1942) is one of the world's leading theoretical physicists. Hawking is Lucasian professor of [[FUCK4ER

fuck4er? whats that all about... thats well harsh.

RE: Steven Hawkings admits he was incorrect. by KeyStorm on 10-06-2004 at 08:02 PM

24.217.222.212 (I wouldn't dare to say it's someone from here, but it could be) screwed it up. Remember this encyclopedia is wiki. It was quickly reverted by user Hadal, luckily.

These little bastards vandals and hakz0r wannabes really piss me off :)

RE: Steven Hawkings admits he was incorrect. by user27089 on 10-07-2004 at 07:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
24.217.222.212 (I wouldn't dare to say it's someone from here, but it could be) screwed it up. Remember this encyclopedia is wiki. It was quickly reverted by user Hadal, luckily.

These little bastards vandals and hakz0r wannabes really piss me off :)

Yea me to, it sucks when the rip the crap out of someone thats a genious, and disabled aswell.. 8o|

Ok, so how long has this news been out, because well, the focus magazine is stupid :D
RE: Steven Hawkings admits he was incorrect. by KeyStorm on 10-07-2004 at 01:06 PM

At the beginning of summer, iirc...