Shoutbox

DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND (/showthread.php?tid=32520)

DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by Jolo on 10-05-2004 at 01:20 AM

http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=24625&category=main

As MSN Messenger 7 goes into private beta, Neowin has learned of several exploits resulting in the "winks" feature of MSN Messenger 7. A Neowin member wishing to remain anonymous has alerted us that users can generate their own flash movies and send them across MSN Messenger. As flash movies can open other things on the system such as Internet Explorer, this could be fatal. As MSN Messenger 7 is only beta and isn't available publically this isn't a major exploit but it does show that added features to a product like this makes it less secure and more open to attack/exploit.

MSN Messenger 7 is beta and is available in copies floating around the internet. We strongly advise members not to use the current beta until this flaw has been resolved. MSN Messenger 7 effectively opens your system up to allow a hacker to run numerous tasks on your machine.

We ask members not to post any exploit code or how to exploit MSN Messenger 7, thank you.

RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by Hank on 10-05-2004 at 01:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jolo
http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=24625&category=main

As MSN Messenger 7 goes into private beta, Neowin has learned of several exploits resulting in the "winks" feature of MSN Messenger 7. A Neowin member wishing to remain anonymous has alerted us that users can generate their own flash movies and send them across MSN Messenger. As flash movies can open other things on the system such as Internet Explorer, this could be fatal. As MSN Messenger 7 is only beta and isn't available publically this isn't a major exploit but it does show that added features to a product like this makes it less secure and more open to attack/exploit.

MSN Messenger 7 is beta and is available in copies floating around the internet. We strongly advise members not to use the current beta until this flaw has been resolved. MSN Messenger 7 effectively opens your system up to allow a hacker to run numerous tasks on your machine.

We ask members not to post any exploit code or how to exploit MSN Messenger 7, thank you.

already posted in this Thread . http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=32301&page=6
RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by RebelSean on 10-05-2004 at 01:41 AM

Yet another reason why Msn Messenger 7.0 isn't going to be installed on my machine without a workaround were people can't do this...:)

RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by DJeX on 10-05-2004 at 02:43 AM

I'll still use it. (Y)

RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by BooGhost on 10-05-2004 at 04:00 AM

i will continue using it as soon as Plus! is compatible :P

RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by Twan on 10-05-2004 at 04:40 AM

only when it isn't A beta anymore.. it's full of bugs I guess   I didn't trusty it and now I see I was right :)...   

Stupid Beta's :dodgy:

RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by The One on 10-05-2004 at 04:46 AM

Ah well, that's what comes with Beta's Microsoft didn't want you to see...

RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by dwergs on 10-05-2004 at 12:34 PM

Here's a temporary fix to disable MSN Messenger 7 winks. We hope to release a more effective and easy patch soon.

RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by find_your_spot on 10-05-2004 at 01:20 PM

if you patch msn messenger 7 and make it in your own language, then there is nothing wrong with msn messenger 7

RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by stuartbennett on 10-05-2004 at 01:35 PM

Well i installed msn 7 last night after i saw in a friends nickname that he had it. however as soon as i saw it didnt support messenger plus i uninstalled it and reinstalled msn 6.2 so i could have my plus back. i like what i saw in msn 7 u get nice big pictures on ur main contact list and in convos i like the winks fewature and am yet to find out watt the hell the nudge function does as in the current beta it doesnt work. you also have a messenger plus style options interface in 7.0 which is cool. what would be nice is if the guys at plus can write a tab killer function into into the next msn 7 compatable version of plus as i like seeing some of the tabs but would like to get rid of the ones i dont want to see. as soon as plus is written to support msn 7 i will upgrade to it but ubntil then msn 6.2 is fine by me.

RE: RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by neoyaquay2002 on 10-05-2004 at 01:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
what would be nice is if the guys at plus can write a tab killer function into into the next msn 7 compatable version of plus as i like seeing some of the tabs but would like to get rid of the ones i dont want to see.

I think you can remove tabs you don't want at the option page of MSN 7.0... Well that's wat i think i saw...

I feel quite safe cause majority of my friends aren't so advanced in their computer skill yet... so i guess I'm safe... 8o|:P

Edit: my bad... It only move the tabs up and down =X haha Guess MSN team have to work on tat too =X lol
RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by stuartbennett on 10-05-2004 at 02:00 PM

i looked for tabs yesterday u do have options for tabs you can move them up and down but theres no way to remove tabs u dont want i looked for it.

RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by MessEnGer on 10-05-2004 at 02:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by neoyaquay2002
am yet to find out watt the hell the nudge function does as in the current beta it doesnt work

The nudge function does work

it is like the "Buzz" in yahoo messenger , it shakes the chat window rapidly with a sound to gain the persons attention or to irritate the person :P
RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by stuartbennett on 10-05-2004 at 03:29 PM

cool sounds good but it didnt seem to work from watt i could see i pressed the button and i saw nothing happen.

RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by MessEnGer on 10-05-2004 at 04:05 PM

The other person needs to have msn messenger 7 as well otherwise it doesnt work

"You cannot sent a Nudge to your contact because he or she is using an older version of Messenger."

this is the error you get :)

RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by stuartbennett on 10-05-2004 at 04:36 PM

actually it never gave back an error message it just did nothing the button appeared to be pressed done nothing and that was it but yes i see ur point they were still using 6.2 so probably ur right but then why didnt i get an error message?

RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by .blade// on 10-05-2004 at 04:53 PM

You know there is a simple way around this....you just turn uncheck "Play winks automatically" and voila...

RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by toddy on 10-05-2004 at 05:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sean
Yet another reason why Msn Messenger 7.0 isn't going to be installed on my machine without a workaround were people can't do this...:)

did u post u would pay for a copy of msn 7 the other day ???
RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by Millenium_edition on 10-05-2004 at 05:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
You know there is a simple way around this....you just turn uncheck "Play winks automatically" and voila...
quote:
Originally posted by mess.be FAQ
The fact that the 7.0.0205 beta build doesn't allow proper disabling the automatic playback of Winks increases the danger level.
read what dwergs says, thank you.
RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by RebelSean on 10-05-2004 at 09:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
quote:
Originally posted by Sean

did u post u would pay for a copy of msn 7 the other day ???

Were did I say that?? :S
RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by find_your_spot on 10-05-2004 at 09:39 PM

paying for msn messenger 7 :S?

RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by MessEnGer on 10-05-2004 at 10:44 PM

quote:
but then why didnt i get an error message?

Stuart its a beta version and not for public use yet so its bound to have problems

for example my msn messenger just crashed yesterday fo rno reason it just dissapeared just like that without any reason

so basically a beta version is bound to have problems and is for this reason called beta because its still under testing not open for public use

Wait stuart isnt that the basic aim of this thread please read carefully :)
RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by stuartbennett on 10-06-2004 at 07:24 AM

yeah i know that i do use betas a bit but youde atleast think they would of thought of something like that and added it its not like its anything hard right? oh well hopefully the full version release will be better. hey i dont mind finding probs in beta software i do better testing for winmx but my big concern is with messenger is if u find a fault i have nowhere to send the feedback to atleast with other companies beta software theres an email address to send your feedback to thats all im saying.

ok all enjoy.

RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by The One on 10-06-2004 at 07:31 AM

Of course the full release version will be better...

RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by CookieRevised on 10-06-2004 at 07:47 AM

quote:
but my big concern is with messenger is if u find a fault i have nowhere to send the feedback to atleast with other companies beta software theres an email address to send your feedback to thats all im saying.
Because you are not a beta tester! The beta isn't a public beta, it is a leaked version...

RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by neoyaquay2002 on 10-06-2004 at 08:01 AM

Hrmm... speaking of animated Emoicon, is there any free programme tat can edit the number of times the gif Loops?

RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by stuartbennett on 10-06-2004 at 09:20 AM

ok so how does one become an official beta tester for msn messenger then cause id love to do that.

RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by CookieRevised on 10-30-2004 at 05:08 AM

quote:
ok so how does one become an official beta tester for msn messenger then cause id love to do that.
This has been answered many times in different threads. The answer is always the same (AKA please search the forums before posting ;)):

quote:
Originally posted in Reminder: MSN Beta - MSN Messenger chat.

Jon_MSN (Expert)
Q: How can I join the MSN Messenger Beta?
A: For those that are not yet a beta tester and enjoying this chat. You can nominate yourself by going to beta.microsoft.com and logging in with your passport. Then type the guestID of MSNBeta (Case sensitive), click on survey and fill out the nomination survey. We will then review it and accept.

RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by stuartbennett on 10-30-2004 at 08:11 AM

thanks ive filled out the survey hopefully ill get selected as a beta tester

RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by benjyrama on 10-30-2004 at 09:40 AM

does ne1 no where dey do alpha testing or is it just a name....

RE: DO NOT USE MSN MESSENGER 7.0.0250 - CRITICAL FLAWS FOUND by stuartbennett on 10-30-2004 at 09:43 AM

not a clue ive never heard of any alpha testers but assume that kinda testing is done internally at microsoft on there products