Shoutbox

PLD Files - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: PLD Files (/showthread.php?tid=32528)

PLD Files by michael_m91 on 10-05-2004 at 04:19 AM

I think Messenger Plus Should Associate the Preferences file "*.pld" with itself.

and if you double click it... It would be like a "*.reg" file it would say "Would you like to import the settings to plus?"...

;)

RE: PLD Files by aptiva on 10-05-2004 at 07:52 PM

good idea...but not only should it say "would you like to import the settings to plus?" but it should also say something like "Warning! This Will Overwrite Your Current Settings" or something along those lines...

RE: PLD Files by CookieRevised on 10-05-2004 at 10:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by michael_m91
I think Messenger Plus Should Associate the Preferences file "*.pld" with itself.
yes, maybe, but only if it is optional and OFF by default, and it can restore the old association back. I hate it when programs change associations without notifying you!
RE: PLD Files by michael_m91 on 10-05-2004 at 11:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
yes, maybe, but only if it is optional and OFF by default, and it can restore the old association back. I hate it when programs change associations without notifying you!

Yah so like it wouldnt be assoiated until you clicked associtae this file with plus.

But what else would a pld file be assoiated with
RE: PLD Files by CookieRevised on 10-05-2004 at 11:14 PM

quote:
But what else would a pld file be assoiated with
It doesn't matter. It is about the principle...

And every programmer can choose his own extensions for his/her programs, so it is well possible that somebody uses .pld for something else...

eg: Search with google to ".pld": all the institues, programs, definitions, etc. that you'll find (and their abbrivation PLD) can be used by people to make programs for it. eg: somebody can make a program which contains biomolecular data listed in the Protein Ligand Database and call its datafiles *.PLD...

EDIT: Ddunk was first, I was also editing this post with that list :P
RE: PLD Files by ddunk on 10-05-2004 at 11:17 PM

http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=pld&goButton=Go

4 sources that use .pld :)

RE: RE: PLD Files by aptiva on 10-06-2004 at 12:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

you hate it...good for you...stop being lazy and change the damn association back manually...:P
RE: PLD Files by CookieRevised on 10-06-2004 at 12:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by aptiva
you hate it...good for you...stop being lazy and change the damn association back manually...
Dude, this has nothing todo with being lazy. This has todo with proper Windows management. If you work with files and Windows like I do you'll know what I'm talking about :dodgy:
RE: PLD Files by matty on 10-06-2004 at 01:35 AM

What happens if you accidently run the pld file and it imports the settings, who cares if there is a warning, people don't read. Patchou probably wont add it because of that reason. Even if you add the file association manually, Plus! won't know what to do with it because it is not running an external app to load it, its using the internal code.

RE: PLD Files by michael_m91 on 10-06-2004 at 02:12 AM

Well i think you could just make it so that you could revert back to old setting like someone already said.

Also you could do somthing like a small program that Sends a message to plus telling it to import the certain file. I'd be small.

RE: PLD Files by CookieRevised on 10-06-2004 at 07:32 AM

quote:
Also you could do somthing like a small program that Sends a message to plus telling it to import the certain file. I'd be small.
There is no nead for an external application. msgplus.exe can do this perfectly.
RE: PLD Files by Patchou on 10-06-2004 at 08:04 AM

Well, I already thought about it and I didn't do it forone very simple reason: I only want to authorise importing data into the currently logged in user's preferences. If Messenger is closed and you click on a PLD file, I would be forced to display an error messageso that's no goo... and yes, there's also the fact that I don't want to screw up people's file types for no reason :).