Shoutbox

MsgPlus on Call for Help with Leo Laporte - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: MsgPlus on Call for Help with Leo Laporte (/showthread.php?tid=32529)

MsgPlus on Call for Help with Leo Laporte by Captain Ghost on 10-05-2004 at 04:49 AM

I did a quick search and didn't see any mention of this on the forums.

For those of you who watch G4TechTV you probably remember a little show called Call For Help with Leo Laporte. And when G4 and TechTV merged the show was canceled in the US version of the new station.

Luckily for us Canadians G4TechTV Canada made a deal with Leo to make Call For Help for Canada.

Anyway long story short, Today (Oct 4th, 2004) Leo and his co-host Andy Walker showcased Messenger Plus! as the Free File of the day. :o):D

Here is a link to the show notes. The notes are pretty sparse but there it is.

http://www.g4techtv.ca/callforhelp/shownotes/0080.shtml

I am assuming they will add the link to msgplus.net  They did mention the site on the show and showed some of the options as well as the website.

So Patchou, if you see a little bump in traffic on the official site this might be why. ;)

Sorry I don't have a videoclip of it. I'll see if I can maybe make one, but I have no where to host it.

Take care folks!

RE: MsgPlus on Call for Help with Leo Laporte by brianjdupuis on 10-05-2004 at 05:00 AM

Heyy you can host it on my web site and i'll just make a link on the forums here!

RE: MsgPlus on Call for Help with Leo Laporte by Patchou on 10-05-2004 at 05:47 AM

Cool.. I would really like to see this video :). I still have the tape of the review TechTV made on Messenger Plus! 1.4 two years ago :)

RE: MsgPlus on Call for Help with Leo Laporte by WDZ on 10-05-2004 at 08:47 PM

Got the clip! :banana:

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/files/msgplus_on_CFH.avi

Size: 5.9 MB
Length: 03:40
Format: DivX - AVI

Copyright © 2004 G4 Media, Inc. All rights reserved. (a)

Sorry about the dodgy cutting & pasting of video... I was in a hurry to get it online. :p

BTW, here's the thread from last time Plus! was on TV: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=2158

RE: MsgPlus on Call for Help with Leo Laporte by Jeronimo on 10-05-2004 at 09:36 PM

Nice work WDZ!

Those guys made me laugh. Almost like they didn't know what they were doing or what they were talking about. As they were going through the Preferences panel, I couldn't help but think it was the first time they'd seen it, and were just reading features off of the screen :gfdrin:

Nice to see Plus getting some coverage on TV though. [Image: woot.gif]

RE: MsgPlus on Call for Help with Leo Laporte by Captain Ghost on 10-05-2004 at 10:45 PM

[Image: woot.gif]:clap:[Image: headbang.gif]

You da man WDZ! :D Thanks for snagging that.

* Captain Ghost looks at the link to the old topic

Whoa . . . deja vu . . .

Looks like the only time I come to these forums is to tell you that Plus! is on TV :lol:

Yeah considering the show is not live any more you would think they would be a bit more prepared to show off such a kick a$$ program. Still though . . . Plus! on TV!!

RE: MsgPlus on Call for Help with Leo Laporte by Patchou on 10-06-2004 at 12:10 AM

Excellent, thank you very much. If you notice, these guys installed the sponsor and the didn't even noticed it was there... talk about a software that "takes control of your computer". Anyway, that's a very nice review, thanks for sharing it.

RE: MsgPlus on Call for Help with Leo Laporte by WDZ on 10-06-2004 at 03:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
Those guys made me laugh. Almost like they didn't know what they were doing or what they were talking about. As they were going through the Preferences panel, I couldn't help but think it was the first time they'd seen it, and were just reading features off of the screen
Yeah, I agree... I thought the whole thing was pretty funny/stupid. :p It could have been better, anyway. :-/

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
If you notice, these guys installed the sponsor and the didn't even noticed it was there
Really? :lol: How can you tell? The desktop icons? They were using FireFox, so no toolbar.

There was kind of a dodgy moment at the beginning where that guy seemed concerned about something...

[Image: attachment.php?pid=317470]

I can just imagine him thinking "hey, where did these ads come from?" :lipsrsealed:
RE: MsgPlus on Call for Help with Leo Laporte by marissa on 10-06-2004 at 04:02 AM

I laughed pretty hard when the guy had to reinstall because he couldnt get out of boss mode :lol:  and...arent these guys suppose to be smart and read things? :P

RE: MsgPlus on Call for Help with Leo Laporte by michael_m91 on 10-06-2004 at 04:08 AM

I don't know if it's supposed to be a sound file, but thats what I had... Anybody know where the video was?

RE: MsgPlus on Call for Help with Leo Laporte by WDZ on 10-06-2004 at 04:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by michael_m91
I don't know if it's supposed to be a sound file, but thats what I had... Anybody know where the video was?
I think you'll need the DivX codec installed to see the video.

quote:
Originally posted by marissa
and...arent these guys suppose to be smart and read things? :P
Well, it's a TV show, so it's possible that they aren't as careful when they're on the air... :p
RE: MsgPlus on Call for Help with Leo Laporte by michael_m91 on 10-06-2004 at 04:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I think you'll need the DivX codec installed to see the video.

In windows media how can I find out if I already have it?

And where can I get it?
RE: MsgPlus on Call for Help with Leo Laporte by WDZ on 10-06-2004 at 04:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by michael_m91
In windows media how can I find out if I already have it?
I dunno if you can check within WMP, but if you have DivX, you should have a "c:\program files\DivX" folder, and a "DivX" folder in your Start Menu.

Get it at http://www.divx.com/divx/download/

I think the installer asks to install some player software, but you don't need that; just the codec.
RE: MsgPlus on Call for Help with Leo Laporte by Captain Ghost on 10-06-2004 at 04:45 AM

Download and install this. ;)

K-Lite Codec Pack

RE: MsgPlus on Call for Help with Leo Laporte by Patchou on 10-06-2004 at 05:32 AM

So that you know, yes, , I can see the sponsor was installed because of the desktop icons :).

RE: MsgPlus on Call for Help with Leo Laporte by Chrono on 10-07-2004 at 06:06 AM

they missed the ! sign in Messenger Plus! :P

and its fun when he says that its free because people is generous, he really doesnt know about the sponsor :P He would have mentioned it :lol:.