Shoutbox

CVR Patch - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: CVR Patch (/showthread.php?tid=32598)

CVR Patch by Xero_Cool on 10-06-2004 at 08:22 PM

Submitted by inky in mess.be forums.

Just made a little simple VB app which patches your MSN Messenger to fix the block from Microsoft. It dumps 11 random characters over the MSNMSGRBETA string send on the Notification Socket, which tricks it into thinking it's some random other client (I made them random so Microsoft can't block the patch as well).

You need to close MSN Messenger completely (no taskbar icon anymor either). Download the zip file and store it on your PC. Open the exe file in it and click "Find target" to look up the Messenger executable (usually c:\program files\msn messenger\msnmsgr.exe). Click "Patch" to patch it. Making a backup is optional.

Patching it is your own responcibillity. Remember, if you do and keep using Messenger 7 you will still be vunrable to the Winks exploits!

Have fun, keep messing (H).

Edit: patch removed

RE: CVR Patch by find_your_spot on 10-06-2004 at 08:37 PM

cool, but there are lot's of multiple patches.....

RE: CVR Patch by Xero_Cool on 10-06-2004 at 09:02 PM

that can block the connection? I don't think so.

RE: RE: CVR Patch by find_your_spot on 10-06-2004 at 09:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Xero_Cool
that can block the connection? I don't think so.

eeeh no. you're right..
RE: CVR Patch by )(Rockerboy on 10-07-2004 at 12:04 AM

kool thanks just what i was looking for, today when i try to connect to 7.0 it says that a new version is out and i need it to sing in

RE: CVR Patch by Sherro on 10-07-2004 at 12:31 AM

tryed it and it works, thanks xerox :D :D :D :D

RE: CVR Patch by Devilz on 10-07-2004 at 12:34 AM

Lol yeah I had the same problem too and I thought there was something newer than 7.

RE: CVR Patch by Patchou on 10-07-2004 at 12:37 AM

Sorry guys but I can't have this kind of crack on theforum... feel free to post it anywhere else but here :).

RE: CVR Patch by Sherro on 10-07-2004 at 12:42 AM

thats cool, lucky i got it before it got removed, anyway im going back to msn 6.2 so i can use Plus!

RE: CVR Patch by The One on 10-07-2004 at 12:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Sorry guys but I can't have this kind of crack on theforum... feel free to post it anywhere else but here :).
Even though you now need this to make MSN 7 work, will you still be making Plus! compatability for it?  Or will it know be dropped?

RE: CVR Patch by Genesis on 10-07-2004 at 01:14 AM

Does any one  have a link for this patch....im getting the same problem as )( Rockerboy

RE: CVR Patch by The One on 10-07-2004 at 01:27 AM

Hope I can do this...

http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=846&st=20

RE: CVR Patch by 4ke. on 10-07-2004 at 01:36 AM

msn 7 works fine for me with no patching :D

RE: CVR Patch by Genesis on 10-07-2004 at 01:45 AM

Thanks

RE: CVR Patch by 4ke. on 10-07-2004 at 01:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 4ke.
msn 7 works fine for me with no patching :D
oups wrong me :p i doesn't work now :(
RE: CVR Patch by The One on 10-07-2004 at 01:52 AM

Just get the patch at that site, it works fine then... I'm using it now.

RE: CVR Patch by Genesis on 10-07-2004 at 01:52 AM

works like magic

RE: CVR Patch by Gin on 10-07-2004 at 07:23 AM

Oops, posted this in a different thread a min ago, but seems appropriate here...

I've got a new problem today... I have now been told to install the previous version of messenger, so downloaded the patch needed. But I cant seem to get that patch to work. I extracted file, ran it and found the messenger folder in Program Files, but it's not showing anything inside the file, when messenger is clearly there as you can see from this screenshot. Any ideas what I can do??

[Image: msn.jpg]

RE: CVR Patch by Sean Pirie on 10-07-2004 at 07:33 AM

Ive got it workiung, but now i need to know wether i can install all the other patches over the top, like the tabs, ad etc....

Anyway, Patchou, so you think you will be carrying on with the PLus! compatability or just waiting for a proper release?

RE: CVR Patch by JaymachRalTir on 10-07-2004 at 07:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Gin
Oops, posted this in a different thread a min ago, but seems appropriate here...

I've got a new problem today... I have now been told to install the previous version of messenger, so downloaded the patch needed. But I cant seem to get that patch to work. I extracted file, ran it and found the messenger folder in Program Files, but it's not showing anything inside the file, when messenger is clearly there as you can see from this screenshot. Any ideas what I can do??
You're looking in the wrong folder...the folder you have there is the WINDOWS Messenger folder...instead, go to C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger

RE: CVR Patch by Gin on 10-07-2004 at 07:56 AM

Heh, thanks...was being dim there!! :)

But now, I select MSN messenger...what am I then supposed to see? Because it closes that window, so I select "patch" and I get an error "Error writing to file.. Make sure it's closed!"

Both msn messenger and windows messenger are exited... so what's this?

RE: CVR Patch by JaymachRalTir on 10-07-2004 at 09:03 AM

All I can really suggest to that is make sure it is deffinately closed (ctrl, shift, esc - go to processes - make sure msnmsgr.exe isn't there) and then try to patch again...alternatively you can download the Star Wars skin in this thread, which I have already patched...but you may not want to do that if you don't like Star Wars...sorry I can't be of more help

RE: CVR Patch by Sherro on 10-07-2004 at 10:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Gin

i know why, as you can see its looking for msnmsgr.exe BUT the file in your folder is named msmsgs.exe :P
RE: CVR Patch by siebe on 10-07-2004 at 12:45 PM

msmsg.exe = Windows Messenger
msnmsgr.exe = MSN Messenger

Dont apply the patch to Windows Messenger.. that will screw it up ;). If you still want to (Which I very much doubt) use ctrl+alt+del to close it. BTW Patchou, I would hardly call it a CRACK.

RE: CVR Patch by The One on 10-07-2004 at 01:26 PM

Crack, hack, little difference... anyways, it hacks the file so that Microsoft don't know what you use, I would call that a hack/crack.

RE: CVR Patch by Gin on 10-07-2004 at 03:57 PM

Cheers for the help all, got it sorted and patched now :)

RE: CVR Patch by Xero_Cool on 10-07-2004 at 08:34 PM

Windows X now copied Siebe :@

RE: CVR Patch by siebe on 10-07-2004 at 11:52 PM

Cracking and hacking are two different things, to start with. Patching is a whole other thing, too. In my eyes cracking is illegally obtaining software you should have paid for. For example, changing a trial's executable in a way you can use that trial as the full version without you paying.

Did you have to pay for MSN Messenger 7.. No? (If you did, you are brainless :P). I consider this a patch, something that merely changes something in a program, without damagin the income of a company. Did we damage the income of a company? Don't think so. The whole community got hyped up, everyone is enthuastic about MSN Messenger 7 (Well, almost everyone). We even beta tested it for them for free.

RE: CVR Patch by Patchou on 10-08-2004 at 12:26 AM

quote:
Crack, hack, little difference...
.Wrong, there's a huge difference. It's the same kind of thinking that mixes adware with trojans :).
Cracks are little programs thatchange data inside other programs in order to remove protections. Hacks are actions taken on a network to get access to resources you shouldn't have access to.

As for patchs, they are the same thing as cracks, only not illegal :)... sooooo, all that to say that the CVR patch is, by definition, a crack :).

Also, note that yes siebe, this is doing damanges... Microsoft didn't want a beta to be leaked, because it was leaked people started to complain that there were bugs and security issues and because of that,they had to take some measures toremove Messenger 7 from circulation... this kind of thing is very damaging and we saw it last year when Microsoft was forced torelease version 6.0 without all the features it was supposed to have because of this kind of pressure.
RE: CVR Patch by siebe on 10-09-2004 at 12:20 AM

quote:
Microsoft didn't want a beta to be leaked
So who's fault is this then? Certainly not mine. If they dont want stuff to leak, then make sure it's not leaving the building! Funny isnt it how the msn-int.com servers went "down" maybe 15 or 20 minutes after it got leaked. They always put stuff on there, if they dont want things to be leaked then they should be more careful!

quote:
people started to complain that there were bugs and security issues and because of that,they had to take some measures toremove Messenger 7 from circulation
"Beta" say anything? If people can't understand that then they need some education on what software to use and what not to. I'm sure microsoft has enough abillity to reach the average John Doe.

quote:
Microsoft was forced torelease version 6.0 without all the features it was supposed to have because of this kind of pressure.
It's not like we seen any of those "features" in future builds (6.1, 6.2) anyhow, so I dont know what you are talking about. If there was pressure then I'm sure they could have included it with a future build.
RE: RE: CVR Patch by unigolyn on 10-11-2004 at 12:31 PM

rant warning

quote:
Originally posted by siebe
quote:
Microsoft didn't want a beta to be leaked
So who's fault is this then? Certainly not mine. If they dont want stuff to leak, then make sure it's not leaving the building! Funny isnt it how the msn-int.com servers went "down" maybe 15 or 20 minutes after it got leaked. They always put stuff on there, if they dont want things to be leaked then they should be more careful!

That's a retarded line of reasoning. It's like a car thief saying stealing your car wasn't really stealing because you left the car door open, or saying a rape victim had it coming for wearing such revealing clothes.

quote:
people started to complain that there were bugs and security issues and because of that,they had to take some measures toremove Messenger 7 from circulation
"Beta" say anything? If people can't understand that then they need some education on what software to use and what not to. I'm sure microsoft has enough abillity to reach the average John Doe.

The average John Doe doesn't even know what 'beta' means. Microsoft's concern is its reputation, and their decision to pull the leaked beta was aimed at just these people, who hear 'security problem' and think messenger 7 is an unsafe product.

Bottom line - if Microsoft says you can't use that beta, then cracking/patching/hacking/tickling it to get past their blocks is a crime. Agreed, it ranks right up with stealing a pack of gum or jaywalking, and I've done similar (and worse) things before. But it irks me to no end how people yammer on about their 'right' to steal, and then rationalize it by saying their victim is an evil corporation who deserves no better for denying you your free lunch.

I've had intellectual property stolen from me, and I've given intellectual property away for free. I make my living selling it. Just because it's ones and zeroes doesn't make stealing it any different from stealing my car or my TV. And yes, I've pirated software. I'm pretty sure my computer isn't 100% legit. And that makes me a thief. Funny though, I think admitting you're a thief is quite more morally defensible than arguing you have some sort of esoteric right to the fruits of someone else's labor, with or without their consent.

Also, everyone calling Microsoft Micro$oft, and whining about the quality of MS products - use Linux for chrissake! Or MacOS! They're completely functional operating systems. You're like advocates of veganism eating spare ribs while yelling 'meat is murder!'.

(and don't even start with 'i wasn't defending stealing' - you were flaming someone who defended Microsoft's right to their intellectual property)

/end rant