Shoutbox

CDs spinning at 35000 rpm - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm (/showthread.php?tid=32624)

CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by Choli on 10-07-2004 at 02:41 PM

Have you ever loaded a faulty CD into a high speed (30X or higher) CD-ROM player, heard it spin up to incredible speeds, rattling and whining, and thought to yourself: "this thing is going to explode"?

Read http://www.powerlabs.org/cdexplode.htm [Image: blast.gif]

RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by Eljay on 10-07-2004 at 03:09 PM

LMFAO @ the disc
[Image: cdexplo.jpg]

RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by toddy on 10-07-2004 at 03:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
Have you ever loaded a faulty CD into a high speed (30X or higher) CD-ROM player, heard it spin up to incredible speeds, rattling and whining, and thought to yourself: "this thing is going to explode"?

Read http://www.powerlabs.org/cdexplode.htm [Image: blast.gif]

i've had a CD explode in a cdrom before, i'm not sure if it was from it spinning so fast tho. all i know was that i put it in the drive, came bac 2mins later. opened the cd drive and it was in tiny little pieces

RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by Eljay on 10-07-2004 at 03:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
i've had a CD explode in a cdrom before, i'm not sure if it was from it spinning so fast tho. all i know was that i put it in the drive, came bac 2mins later. opened the cd drive and it was in tiny little pieces

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by toddy on 10-07-2004 at 03:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by leejeffery
quote:

i didn't find it too funny, it was my office xp cd
RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by Eljay on 10-07-2004 at 03:37 PM

* Eljay finds that even funnier

:dodgy: Microsoft

RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by Choli on 10-07-2004 at 03:55 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by leejeffery
quote:

maybe the cd was made in materials of bad quality (in case it was a cd-r) if it was the original cd...
* Choli slaps microsoft around a bit with a large trout.
RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by user27089 on 10-07-2004 at 04:50 PM

I can't believe that that would even happen, its like if a glass is next to a speaker, and the speaker is emitting a tone at such a high frequency, the glass will bend then smash..

* user27089 loves how.

what would you do if you were rotating at that speed.

* user27089 is reminded of Scary Movie 3

RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by saralk on 10-07-2004 at 07:52 PM

iirc from a physics video you cant smash a class through noise, they put a glass in the same room as a speaker emmiting noise as loud as a concord engine and it still didnt work

RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by Mike on 10-07-2004 at 08:09 PM

Well i dont think that it will explode but i think that it will burn!

RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by ayjay on 10-07-2004 at 08:16 PM

It can be as loud as you want and it won't smash unless it is at the exact frequency of the glass. (back to the glass smashing bit)

*ajd impresses himself at his scientific knowledge

RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by Plik on 10-07-2004 at 08:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
iirc from a physics video you cant smash a class through noise, they put a glass in the same room as a speaker emmiting noise as loud as a concord engine and it still didnt work
It's not the volume that makes it smash.
If you have a glass near a speaker that is emiting a sounds at the right frequency. The glass will start to vibrate, and as the volume is turned up, the glass vibrates more and more, until it cant take anymore, and it smashes.
Edit: ajd your faster than me :dodgy:
RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by user27089 on 10-07-2004 at 08:48 PM

I think that this whole debate is funny :lol: aww well..

The glass would break, i even watched video footage of it happening! It was on the kids show 'How' on cbbc, i watched it a couple of years ago. 

RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by Choli on 10-07-2004 at 09:00 PM

the real truth about the glass: Well, in fact any frequency can break the glass, but the loud of that sound/noise should be very very very high for the most of frequencies. It should be so loud that maybe it's impossible to create that sound.

However each object (a glass in particular) has an associated frequency that is called resonancy frequency (sorry if the translation is dodgy) That is a special frequency beacuse the object, due to its form, the materials it's made in, etc..., amplifies a lot the power of the sounds with that frequency and then a little/medium loud of that sound can break the glass "easyly".

RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by ddunk on 10-07-2004 at 10:07 PM

Theres a show called "Mythbusters" on the Discovery channel here and they did a similar experiment, except these people took a full Black and Decker drill and put it on the drive and spun it. Next to the drive, they created a rubbery dummy which resembled a human (like the toughness of the skin/muscle) and when the drive exploded, they showed the CD slicing into the dummy, It went in fairly depp, it was pretty cool :P

Episode Guide from that Episode:

quote:
Episode 2: Cell Phone Destruction, Silicone Breasts, CD-ROM Shattering
In this episode, Jamie and Adam test several explosive theories. Can chatting on a cell phone while pumping gas cause the pump to blow up? Our mythbusters put themselves at risk so you don't have to. They also put silicone breast implants to the test at high altitude. Will they burst under pressure? Finally, we'll learn once and for all if high-speed CD-ROM players can really shatter a compact disc.

RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by CookieRevised on 10-08-2004 at 12:43 AM

quote:
blah... your license was expired, that's all....

quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
Isn't that resonance?
yup, resonance or resonance frequency...

There is even famous video footage of a normal powerfull wind (not storm though) that demolishes a large bridge. It happened that the wind blew at the same frequence of that suspencion bridge...

Also this, (funny, but very true): In the army they teach you to march, and each soldiers must walk in the same rithme. Everybody knows that. But, they also teach there that if you need to cross a bridge while marching, the soldiers may not march in the same rithme! But each soldiers must march slithly earlier/later then the one before him. This is because of the same thing, the marching frequency of a whole platoon marching in the same rithme could demolishe a bridge!
RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by user27089 on 10-08-2004 at 07:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
yup, resonance or resonance frequency...

There is even famous video footage of a normal powerfull wind (not storm though) that demolishes a large bridge. It happened that the wind blew at the same frequence of that suspencion bridge...

Also this, (funny, but very true): In the army they teach you to march, and each soldiers must walk in the same rithme. Everybody knows that. But, they also teach there that if you need to cross a bridge while marching, the soldiers may not march in the same rithme! But each soldiers must march slithly earlier/later then the one before him. This is because of the same thing, the marching frequency of a whole platoon marching in the same rithme could demolishe a bridge!

Thats absolutely crazy, the wind was at the same frequency as a suspension bridge, and it was demolished... suppose its one less job for all of the townies to break :dodgy:

Thats stupid, how could an army destroy a bridge, does that mean, if you wanted to break a bridge, you get a load of your mates, steel capped boots, and get them to march across the bridge in unison... not that i'll try it or anything lol....

The glass broke, it was right next to a speaker, and when I say speaker, I mean like a marshall stack :S
RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by CookieRevised on 10-08-2004 at 08:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
does that mean, if you wanted to break a bridge, you get a load of your mates, steel capped boots, and get them to march across the bridge in unison.
yes indeed

* Tacoma Narrows Bridge Collapse (November 7, 1940):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacoma_Narrows_Bridge
(that of those soldiers is also mentioned there in a quick sentence)

http://www.eng.uab.edu/cee/reu_nsf99/tacoma.htm
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/may98/892678504.Eg.r.html
http://www.civeng.carleton.ca/Exhibits/Tacoma_Nar...DSmith/photos.html
http://www.vibrationdata.com/Tacoma.htm (<=nice still photo's of the bridge's resonance in action)
http://abel.math.harvard.edu/archive/21b_fall_03/tacoma/ (<= contains the video's.)
http://homepages.tscnet.com/rickc/tnb/ (<= collection of info, links and video's about the collapse)

* "Small" case study (and live example) of a physics teacher and his class doing the same with a small suspension bridge:
http://home.messiah.edu/~barrett/mpg/2harend.html

remember that there is nothing fake about these video's! This is pure science even how wierd it may seem...

PS: not many know this but the Millenium Bridge in London was also closed for a time because it began to sway alarmingly due to resonance.
RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by Blair on 10-08-2004 at 10:36 AM

You have way too much time on your hands. :|

RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by Choli on 10-08-2004 at 11:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
oh, yes! that's also true. At the end, it's all due to the same phisical effect. the resonance frequency.
RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by Pipish on 10-09-2004 at 03:53 AM

lol thats pretty funny

now tell me is that a guys reflection????:s

RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by user27089 on 10-09-2004 at 08:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pipish
lol thats pretty funny

Yeah, its a guys reflection, my guess, is that he was using a digital camera with a screen on the back, so that he could take the picture with acuracy, and thats the top of his head, anyway, why are you looking that deep into the picture??? Thats worrying lol, or was it a corner of the eye thing?

I think they should see what happens if a computer is dropped from a buidling :)

I've seen them do it when they were testing which was better, a top of the range mac, or a top of the range pc, guess which won, the pc!! The pc beat the graphics test, the lag test, the rendering test, and best of all, it was dropped off of a 18 foot wall, and the mac was messed up completely, the pc was messed up a bit, but would still turn on, they ordered the parts for the pc, and they couldn't get any parts for the macintosh, and they would've had to wait for ages to get the parts, and it would've cost a hell of a lot of money..

Now, why don't i want a mac?
RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by surfichris on 10-09-2004 at 09:50 AM

Sorry about the off-topicness.. but did you know that its also very possible to kill a person with a certain frequency and a certain wavelength (well hurt them significantly). You can also change brain patterns and states.

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/psychology/resonance.shtml

RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by Pyroteq on 10-09-2004 at 11:35 AM

My windows cd cracked in my cd drive while i was reinstalling mspaint. Didnt find it too funny

RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by Idium on 10-23-2004 at 04:18 PM

at about 36000 RPM the plastic becomes unstable and therefore could possably eXplode

RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by Dane on 10-23-2004 at 05:03 PM

* Dane had a CD explode in his CD-ROM drive.

It spun so fast that it musta just exploded...The CD Drive opened and pieces of the disk just shot out.  Was very dangerous, luckily there were no serious injurys.  It also destroyed most of the inside of my computer (Thank god for warrentys).

RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by Millenium_edition on 10-23-2004 at 05:06 PM

it's the first time i heard about exploding cd's. :|

RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by _Humphreys on 10-23-2004 at 05:29 PM

Expolding Cd's Holy Moly Citizens. Well I have put a DVD in a Cd drive before and there was this terrible noise from it I got it out a second later would that explode the DVD?

RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by Choli on 10-23-2004 at 07:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Attitude Extreme
Well I have put a DVD in a Cd drive before and there was this terrible noise from it I got it out a second later would that explode the DVD?
That depends on the speed at which the DVD was spinning and the quality of the DVD. It doesn't depend on it being a DVD or a CD, but onthe things I've just said. :)
RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by Pipish on 10-24-2004 at 09:17 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pipish
lol thats pretty funny

Yeah, its a guys reflection, my guess, is that he was using a digital camera with a screen on the back, so that he could take the picture with acuracy, and thats the top of his head, anyway, why are you looking that deep into the picture??? Thats worrying lol, or was it a corner of the eye thing?

I think they should see what happens if a computer is dropped from a buidling :)

I've seen them do it when they were testing which was better, a top of the range mac, or a top of the range pc, guess which won, the pc!! The pc beat the graphics test, the lag test, the rendering test, and best of all, it was dropped off of a 18 foot wall, and the mac was messed up completely, the pc was messed up a bit, but would still turn on, they ordered the parts for the pc, and they couldn't get any parts for the macintosh, and they would've had to wait for ages to get the parts, and it would've cost a hell of a lot of money..

Now, why don't i want a mac?

lol it was just a corner of the eye thing it wasnt like i was looking for it or nuthing i just saw it thought it was funny and posted it :P
RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by FrozernFire on 10-24-2004 at 01:30 PM

never heard of cds exploding but i would like to see one exploding in the drive lol
i haf only heard of batteries popping and leaking in a mouse (my mouse). there's this LOUD pop sound and it goes all oily

RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by user27089 on 10-24-2004 at 01:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pipish
lol it was just a corner of the eye thing it wasnt like i was looking for it or nuthing i just saw it thought it was funny and posted it :p

Lol, I wasn't questioning you or anything :p

quote:
Originally posted by FrozernFire
never heard of cds exploding but i would like to see one exploding in the drive lol
i haf only heard of batteries popping and leaking in a mouse (my mouse). there's this LOUD pop sound and it goes all oily

Why wouldn't a cd explode :p After all it is spinning at a very high speed which not a lot of things could handle, its basically spinning and trying to expand outwards, like you do when you're on the waltzers or whatever, then when the cd is at its highest peak it explodes outwards..

;)
RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by Concord Dawn on 10-24-2004 at 03:10 PM

I had a CD burnt in my CD-RW drive. I guess the CD wasn't made for that high speed. All I smelt was burning plastic and I took the CD out of the drive and is was deformed, extremely hot, and had a huge black mark.

RE: CDs spinning at 35000 rpm by CookieRevised on 10-24-2004 at 11:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Loki^uk
at about 36000 RPM the plastic becomes unstable and therefore could possably eXplode

quote:
Why wouldn't a cd explode After all it is spinning at a very high speed which not a lot of things could handle, its basically spinning and trying to expand outwards, like you do when you're on the waltzers or whatever, then when the cd is at its highest peak it explodes outwards..

Both wrong actually... The reason why CD's explode (and DVD's, but they spin at a much lower speed so changes are much less of "exploding") is not because they're made out of plastic (and liquifides) or that they can't handle the high velocity. Plastic doesn't become unstable at that speed.

What happens is that the hole in the middle isn't exactly centered (sometimes it only takes a mm at that speed), or that there is an added label or something on the CD. (Also a possible small crack in the surface can cause such things)

This makes that the CD is out of balance. At low speeds this doesn't harm anything, but at high speeds the centrifugal force acts on it and creates a resonance factor. As the speed increases, the force becomes higher and higher and at high speed this makes that there are extremely great forces acting upon the spindle (the thing that goes into the cd-hole) which isn't designed for it. The CD crashes into the drivework and because of it's high speed it breaks (not "explodes")...

That's also the reason why it is strongly adviced not to put selfsticking labels on CD's. It is not because it could damage the surface of the CD, but because the CD would become "out of balance" at high speeds...

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
I had a CD burnt in my CD-RW drive. I guess the CD wasn't made for that high speed. All I smelt was burning plastic and I took the CD out of the drive and is was deformed, extremely hot, and had a huge black mark.
That's something else. The red laser (used for burning the data) proberly malfunctioned and burned your CD (but not in the good sense)...