Shoutbox

Can't remove ad! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Can't remove ad! (/showthread.php?tid=32639)

Can't remove ad! by someone52 on 10-07-2004 at 07:55 PM

Everytime i open internet explorer this toolbar open's up at the bottom of the screen. Does anyone know how to get rid of it?
http://searchweb2.com/passthrough/newpass2.html
that is the url.
I sick and tired of seeing it, i looked everywhere but so help to be found.
Please Help!
I've had it since i installed messenger plus!
THX!

RE: Can't remove ad! by Plik on 10-07-2004 at 08:00 PM

You have problay installed the sponsor program acidently.
Follow the imformation in How to uninstall ad-ware/sponsor to remove it.

RE: Can't remove ad! by ayjay on 10-07-2004 at 08:08 PM

I dont think its the plus sponsor. I had that but just used adaware and it seemed to work www.ad-aware.com

RE: Can't remove ad! by someone52 on 10-07-2004 at 08:38 PM

I have ad-aware. I uninstalled  Messenger Plus and it is still there.

RE: Can't remove ad! by Plik on 10-07-2004 at 08:47 PM

Then there is a chance that it wasnt the sponsor.
If you do think it is the sponsor:
Did you try to remove it with ad-aware?
If you did then you need to re-install plus WITH the sponsor. Then uninstal it. Also make sure you have all of your browser windows completely closed so that the tool bar can be properly removed.

RE: Can't remove ad! by matty on 10-07-2004 at 08:52 PM

This is the search bar from the Optional Sponsor program when it is installed. Do not use Spyware Remover programs to uninstall the Sponsor. Reinstall Messenger Plus! with the sponsor, Uninstall it, and reinstall it if you wish.

You can also try changing your homepage without having Internet Explorer open.
Windows XP
Start > Control Panel > Internet Options > Use Blank > Click Apply & Ok

Other Windows:
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Internet Options > Use Blank > Click Apply & Ok

Open IE see if the search bar still opens up.

Edit: Noticed my mistake

RE: Can't remove ad! by someone52 on 10-07-2004 at 11:19 PM

Still there. Thx for the help. I try other spyware and adware program didnt work. Im going crazy

RE: Can't remove ad! by matty on 10-07-2004 at 11:40 PM

Try using the Lop.com Uninstaller

RE: Can't remove ad! by Patchou on 10-08-2004 at 12:18 AM

Isuggest you try reinstall Plus! with the sponsor program and uninstall it again, it should repair your installation package.

RE: Can't remove ad! by someone52 on 10-08-2004 at 01:05 AM

OK

RE: Can't remove ad! by matty on 10-08-2004 at 01:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
This is the search bar from the Optional Sponsor program when it is installed. Do not use Spyware Remover programs to uninstall the Sponsor. Reinstall Messenger Plus! without the sponsor, Uninstall it, and reinstall it if you wish.
I swore I said this as well :P
quote:
Originally posted by Matty.
This is the search bar from the Optional Sponsor program when it is installed. Do not use Spyware Remover programs to uninstall the Sponsor. Reinstall Messenger Plus! with the sponsor, Uninstall it, and reinstall it if you wish.

RE: Can't remove ad! by Patchou on 10-08-2004 at 02:02 AM

lol.. yeas but you also gave other instructions in the same message.. those are the one and only instructions anybody should follow. The uninstaller that is present on C2Media's web site is for software who don'y give access to the uninstaller themselves (and those software are not "banished" from C2Media do to their own new policies).

RE: Can't remove ad! by someone52 on 10-08-2004 at 11:10 PM

Well anyway thx for the info. It worked!

RE: Can't remove ad! by Gabgooba on 10-10-2004 at 09:10 PM

I tried uninstalling it with the sponsor and then reinstalling it, and it still appears for me.

Now what?!

RE: Can't remove ad! by Plik on 10-10-2004 at 09:16 PM

Make sure you have completely closed your browser (that means making sure its not running in taskmanager)
And then try to uninstall it.
Closing the browser means that the ad can be removed properly

RE: Can't remove ad! by Gabgooba on 10-10-2004 at 09:28 PM

Right now, Plus! is uninstalled, and the browser was closed when I uninstalled it.
But when I open IE, I still get this accursed toolbar (that doesn't even work, I might add), and pop-ups every once in a while.

Grr...

RE: Can't remove ad! by Plik on 10-10-2004 at 09:32 PM

If you used a program like Ad-aware inbetween the last install and the last reinstall then you need to reinstall with the sponsor to repair the files.
If you have alredy done this then i apologise and i dont know what is stoping it from uninstalling properly

RE: Can't remove ad! by Gabgooba on 10-10-2004 at 09:33 PM

I didn't use ad-aware, but a while back I did try to delete a few files. However I've reinstalled Plus! three times, with no luck.

RE: Can't remove ad! by Patchou on 10-10-2004 at 09:57 PM

Gabgooba: I suggest you try again by reinstalling the sponsor with Messenger Plus! 3.21. In version 3.20 I was testing delayed insstallation of the sponsor and this could have prevented you from reinstalling all the sponsorfiles properly.

Because of the feedback I got about delayed install, I removed it from the setup (again, to avoid misunderstandings) so installing version 3.21 will reinstall all the sponsor files instantly.

RE: Can't remove ad! by Gabgooba on 10-10-2004 at 10:12 PM

Thank you, Patchou, that worked splendidly! My old installer was 320.

Also, to avoid making another topic, I was wondering if you could just answer me this questio about the POP3 e-mail feature, I couldn't find it anywhere in the FAQs.

Okay, well, it isn't working. The server I enter, should it be the home page of the site, or the home page of the mail part of the site?
I'm using http://www.yahoo.ca (.ca, not .com), and am having trouble. Should the 110 be changed? Am I missing something here?

RE: Can't remove ad! by Plik on 10-10-2004 at 10:21 PM

yahoo isnt a pop3 email it is webmail

RE: Can't remove ad! by Gabgooba on 10-10-2004 at 10:28 PM

Okay... So there's no way I can get it to work?

RE: Can't remove ad! by Plik on 10-10-2004 at 10:41 PM

The app YahooPops alows you to use your yahoo account like a pop3 account, and then allow plus to check it
http://yahoopops.sourceforge.net is the website.