Shoutbox

IMAP Email Checking? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: IMAP Email Checking? (/showthread.php?tid=32749)

IMAP Email Checking? by moose_nz on 10-10-2004 at 12:24 AM

Hey guys (and Pathou).

There's one very tiny feature that would be so helpful if it were implemented.

Basically there is pop3 support for checking new emails and I've used it before. It's great! But unfortunately all my email accounts are now IMAP, which is a bit different as the messages are stored on the server. If I use pop to check it, it tells me I have 1000 unread messages, which is obviously not what I want.

I've found the same problem in many third party email checkers. I have one now that supports IMAP, however, it would be so much easier if it was just built straight into plus.

I mean everything is there for pop, it would be a minor (but extrememly useful) change to support imap as well.

Keep up the good work on Plus. It's great and I use it lots. :)

RE: IMAP Email Checking? by Vantage on 10-10-2004 at 12:42 AM

Why dont you just find one that works with the IMAP and have it run when you startup windows :S

RE: RE: IMAP Email Checking? by moose_nz on 10-10-2004 at 12:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Vantage
Why dont you just find one that works with the IMAP and have it run when you startup windows :S

Ah yes, but the whole point is to have it streamlined. Similarily, why don't people just get a separate pop3 checker? Because it's far easier to have it integrated into something you use all the time. No separate download, no separate updates etc.

The fact that the basic functionality is already there is also another reason I don't think it's an unreasonable request, it's just a matter of supporting the imap protocal, which is widely used and well documented :)

As a side note, I already have one of these, but it pisses me off, I'd much prefer to have it look the same and interact with plus, since I use that heavily.

Also this one one can have the count of unread mail messages on the windows xp login screen and other useful little extras.
RE: IMAP Email Checking? by vlio on 10-10-2004 at 09:09 AM

I would find it very usefull too !

RE: IMAP Email Checking? by lamaral on 02-15-2005 at 03:46 PM

Hey guys? I'm looking for same feature... Can I help on develop this?

Tks.
Luis Amaral.

RE: IMAP Email Checking? by Anubis on 02-15-2005 at 03:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lamaral
Hey guys? I'm looking for same feature... Can I help on develop this?

I doubt it, I can't see a way that a plugin could configure Plus to be able to check IMAP.
Unless it part of it was a process which checks IMAP e-mail accounts, and then a plugin can retrieve the infomation from the process that checks the account and display it in a Plus! toast. It may be a little tricky to do, but with a lot of work, yes it could be done.
As for making this into a Plus! feature atm, Patchou isn't doing much feature adding, just working out problems with 3.50...I can see this being put in the future though. You may need to get a lot of people to show their interest though...
RE: IMAP Email Checking? by Ezra on 02-15-2005 at 09:49 PM

I would like this feature also, so you have my interest :)