Shoutbox

Kee Pass :O - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Kee Pass :O (/showthread.php?tid=32822)

Kee Pass :O by Vantage on 10-10-2004 at 03:21 PM

quote:
Originally quoted by Michael Drago on 09 Oct 2004
KeePass Password Safe is a free/open-source password safe or manager which helps you to manage your passwords in a secure way. You can put all your passwords in one database, which is locked with one master key or a key-disk. So you only have to remember one single master password or insert the key-disk to unlock the whole database. The databases are encrypted using the best and most secure encryption algorithms currently known (AES and Twofish).

Latest Changes:

Fixed some problems in the relative paths handling

Added auto-sort password list feature, KeePass can sort the password list automatically now, see 'View - Auto-Sort'

Improved item selection handling after entry additions, duplications and edits

The database is now marked as modified when copying a TAN number to the clipboard

Password list refreshing should be a bit faster now

After minimizing to taskbar and restoring to tray, the window's maximized state is correctly restored now

The associated browser with 'http' is used now, instead of the one associated with '.htm' files
Full Story (By BetaNews StaffHere
Source: BetaNews and Winbeta
Download Kee pass beta here
Version: KeePass Password Safe 0.97c beta

This is a really cool idea :D, im defentily going to try and use it. What about you guys?
RE: Kee Pass :O by fluffy_lobster on 10-10-2004 at 03:48 PM

Personally I think there's no more secure place to keep my passwords in my own head :P

RE: Kee Pass :O by banky on 10-10-2004 at 03:49 PM

* banky agress with lobster

[Image: cheeseangry.gif]

RE: Kee Pass :O by saralk on 10-10-2004 at 03:51 PM

* saralk uses mind control to get fluffy_lobster to reveal his passwords :p

personally i would never use software that cant even spell key right :p

RE: Kee Pass :O by RebelSean on 10-10-2004 at 03:52 PM

I agree with lobster too....I usually just write them down on a piece of paper or something...I wouldn't ever use that....:p

RE: Kee Pass :O by banky on 10-10-2004 at 05:20 PM

All i do is use the same p.w for everything that way i dont have to rember a whole lot of them

[Image: shockednana.gif]

RE: Kee Pass :O by Eljay on 10-10-2004 at 05:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by The Don
All i do is use the same p.w for everything that way i dont have to rember a whole lot of them

thats really dodgy though because if somebody found out your password they would have access to everything :dodgy:
RE: Kee Pass :O by banky on 10-18-2004 at 01:33 AM

yea but trust me no one would ever guess this

code:
bakalakarollendolphia

lmfao :dodgy:
RE: Kee Pass :O by dotNorma on 10-18-2004 at 01:40 AM

quote:

NOT a good idea. Sean said his password on IRC once to his IRC name and it was the same password for like 20 other accounts on things and we changed the password to every single one of them.
RE: Kee Pass :O by banky on 10-18-2004 at 01:48 AM

i rember but im not stupid enough to tell my p.w

RE: Kee Pass :O by gnownoskcid on 10-18-2004 at 02:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sean
I agree with lobster too....I usually just write them down on a piece of paper or something...I wouldn't ever use that....:p

not smart, pieces of paper are extremely easy to lose (or stolen or peeked at or whatever)

having one master key is actually better than using one key for all passwords.  If you use one key for all passwords, ppl can access all the accounts as mentioned above.  It is clearly best to use different passwords for each account. However, it is hard to remember all those passwords (if you have a lot of accounts).  Therefore, a master key that can access all the other password is a good idea. If you lose the master key, you still need the password file to access the other passwords. If you lose anyother key to someone, you only lose one account.

However, I do think that this "kee pass" program is stupid. Why would you need this program if you can just use "excel" or other similar programs?  All you have to do is to enter your passwords in an excel document and password encrypt it.  Although excel's encryption may not be strong, people still need to have access to the file to crack your "password storing document".  All you have to do to prevent people from accessing it is to rename it to something less obvious which people would ignore (NOT "password here dont open.xls").
RE: Kee Pass :O by WDZ on 10-18-2004 at 02:26 AM

I use a password manager because I never use the same password for multiple accounts. I have like 30 different passwords, and many I don't type very much, so there's no way I could memorize them. I only memorize the passwords that I use on a regular basis.

quote:
i rember but im not stupid enough to tell my p.w
I think even the smartest person could accidentally reveal a password... :p
RE: Kee Pass :O by gnownoskcid on 10-18-2004 at 02:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I think even the smartest person could accidentally reveal a password... :p

that's called social engineering, i heard that it's very effective
RE: Kee Pass :O by WDZ on 10-18-2004 at 03:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gnownoskcid
that's called social engineering, i heard that it's very effective
Well, that's not what I had in mind... I don't think it would be too effective on smart/careful/experienced computer users. :-/

I was thinking you could accidentally reveal a password by trying to log in quickly and typing it in the wrong field/window or something like that. :p
RE: Kee Pass :O by banky on 10-18-2004 at 03:11 AM

ive done that on my comp
i dont log onto school comps :P very dogdy

the school logs the keys(at least thats a rumor)

RE: Kee Pass :O by gnownoskcid on 10-18-2004 at 03:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I was thinking you could accidentally reveal a password by trying to log in quickly and typing it in the wrong field/window or something like that. :p

that reminds me of a trick i played on someone

i was sitting beside that person and that person doesn't want me to look at the keyboard to see him type the password. so he looked at me to make sure im not watching as he type in his password.  just before he enters the password, i hit the tab button to switch to a non-cencored txt box.  Of course that person didn't notice and because he was too busy watching me. hehe :D
RE: Kee Pass :O by banky on 10-18-2004 at 03:25 AM

lmfao i just tested that keepass thing and thought of something say you forgot ur pass to ur email account and went to open ur keepass and for got that one lmfao