Shoutbox

Virtual Floppy drive?? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Virtual Floppy drive?? (/showthread.php?tid=32944)

Virtual Floppy drive?? by gatepass007 on 10-12-2004 at 07:50 AM

I have downloaded a software HDD regenerator to remove bad sector from my HDD. That requires a floppy disk to make a bootable disk. Unfortunately my floppy drive isn't working now. So, is it possible to make a virtual floppy drive like Virtual CD/DVD drive?
THanks.

RE: Virtual Floppy drive?? by Pyroteq on 10-12-2004 at 07:54 AM

Instructions on how to create a floppy boot could be usefull too..Seeing as my computer says it needs 11 flopps to do it automatically. Yeah Right!

RE: Virtual Floppy drive?? by Concord Dawn on 10-12-2004 at 02:08 PM

It is possible. You just need to find the program.

Try this program: VMWare's Virtual Floppy Driver

RE: Virtual Floppy drive?? by Choli on 10-12-2004 at 02:40 PM

For what you want to do, gatepass007, you'll need a real floppy so you need a working floppy drive. With VMWare's VFD you can emulate that you have another floppy drive, but you really need a floppy to make it bootable and boot your computer using that floppy (and I suggest to real boot your computer with the floppy. Don't try to use VMWare's VFD, make a virtual floppy and then use VMWare to emulate a boot using that virtual floppy)

RE: Virtual Floppy drive?? by gatepass007 on 10-12-2004 at 04:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
For what you want to do, gatepass007, you'll need a real floppy so you need a working floppy drive. With VMWare's VFD you can emulate that you have another floppy drive, but you really need a floppy to make it bootable and boot your computer using that floppy (and I suggest to real boot your computer with the floppy. Don't try to use VMWare's VFD, make a virtual floppy and then use VMWare to emulate a boot using that virtual floppy)
I just want to make a bootable floppy disk required by the program HDD Regenerator. I've tried VMWare's Virtual Floppy Driver  but that didn't worked. My 2 floppy drive (2 PC's) has been damaged. So, I just wanted a Virtual Floppy drive so that I can make a bootable CD from that. :(

RE: Virtual Floppy drive?? by Mnjul on 10-12-2004 at 04:19 PM

You can't boot your computer from a virtual floopy drive, gatepass007, as Choli said. I think you should buy a REAL floopy drive...it doesn't cost very much (at least far less than an HDD) :)

RE: Virtual Floppy drive?? by Choli on 10-12-2004 at 04:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
You can't boot your computer from a virtual floopy drive, gatepass007, as Choli said
in fact, you can boot it from a virtual floppy, using vmware but it's highly unrecommended and even more if what you need to do is a repair in your damaged sector of the hdd

as mnjul said: buy a new floppy drive. They cost less than 10 € (~ $10)