Shoutbox

[suggestion] Kill msn's auto sound-reset - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: [suggestion] Kill msn's auto sound-reset (/showthread.php?tid=33001)

[suggestion] Kill msn's auto sound-reset by DeltaBlast on 10-13-2004 at 08:57 AM

Everytime I restart MSN Messenger, the thing resets the sounds back to the annoying original... Is there any way that can be disabled through plus? I would be soooo gratefull ^_^

how are you sure it'd be a nice feature if you don't know what I'm referring to?

Anyway, I'm reffering to the fact that if you start msn, it automatically resets it's sounds (the sounds you hear when someone talks to you, or when you get a new email).

It's goddamn annoying to go to the config screen and load a previously saved scheme each time you restart your computer.

And now that I talk about it, I also have the problem that msn changes my display picture each time I log in.. anyone got a fix for that?
RE: [suggestion] Kill msn's auto sound-reset by stuartbennett on 10-13-2004 at 05:16 PM

right well now that i do understand what your talking about i still agree it would be a nice feature i havent used custom sounds before so i personally havent encountered it but yes i can see where your coming from.

RE: [suggestion] Kill msn's auto sound-reset by Plik on 10-13-2004 at 05:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBlast
And now that I talk about it, I also have the problem that msn changes my display picture each time I log in.. anyone got a fix for that?
That shouldnt happen. Does it reset your custom emoticons aswell?
Because i think there is a problem with storing the preferences on you computer.
RE: [suggestion] Kill msn's auto sound-reset by kittyfantastico on 10-13-2004 at 05:41 PM

my dp keeps changing as well but my emoticons dont change

RE: RE: [suggestion] Kill msn's auto sound-reset by Leif on 10-13-2004 at 07:03 PM

quote:

Tools | Options | Secrecy -- bottommost option: untick (rough translation from Swedish)
Does that help at all?
RE: [suggestion] Kill msn's auto sound-reset by BlackStar on 10-13-2004 at 07:34 PM

I have the same problem with the customized sounds being reset every time I startup Messenger.
I solved it by renaming my customsounds to the same name as the original ones and put them in place of MSN Messenger's original sounds.
Quick n' Dirty.
But first I made a BACKUP of the original sounds.

RE: [suggestion] Kill msn's auto sound-reset by matty on 10-13-2004 at 09:04 PM

Now for the display pictures, is it a display picture you previously used? If so it might be MSN Messenger not actually saving the information on exit. You can try the following.

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to open a task manager (If using Windows XP, click on Processes) find MsgPlus.exe and end the process.

What you will want to do next is sign on to MSN Messenger (if you aren't already) and set your DP. Then sign off and exit MSN Messenger from the system tray. Reload MSN and check to see if your DP is different.

For the sound exit MSN Messenger, goto the Control Panel (Start (> Settings) > Control Panel > Sounds (or Sounds and Audio Devices)

Click the Sounds tab, and change the sounds for MSN save it as a scheme and hit apply. Reload MSN and see if the sounds have changed. If they are the default ones you can replace the default sounds in C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger with the ones you want them to be or try changing them form within MSN Messenger.

The other option is try changing it in the registry. If the others don't work I will give you the steps for that.

RE: [suggestion] Kill msn's auto sound-reset by kittyfantastico on 10-13-2004 at 09:11 PM

wow gd tip thanx for the help:)

RE: RE: RE: [suggestion] Kill msn's auto sound-reset by DeltaBlast on 10-13-2004 at 10:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Leif
quote:

Tools | Options | Secrecy -- bottommost option: untick (rough translation from Swedish)
Does that help at all?

Wow that actually work... even though it has nothing to do with my adressbook, it worked ^_^

quote:
Now for the display pictures, is it a display picture you previously used? If so it might be MSN Messenger not actually saving the information on exit. You can try the following.

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to open a task manager (If using Windows XP, click on Processes) find MsgPlus.exe and end the process.

What you will want to do next is sign on to MSN Messenger (if you aren't already) and set your DP. Then sign off and exit MSN Messenger from the system tray. Reload MSN and check to see if your DP is different.

That didn't work though. But leif's did, so that's all good. I guess that adressbook=contactlist

quote:
Click the Sounds tab, and change the sounds for MSN save it as a scheme and hit apply. Reload MSN and see if the sounds have changed. If they are the default ones you can replace the default sounds in C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger with the ones you want them to be or try changing them form within MSN Messenger.
I guess replacing the sound files worked... never thought of it. Still an odd way to do it :p

Could be a good feature for plus anyway; custom sounds for everything, not only contacts :p

Tnx for the tips, all. ^_^
RE: [suggestion] Kill msn's auto sound-reset by stuartbennett on 10-14-2004 at 07:31 AM

yeah custom sounds for everything would be a good feature for plus.

RE: [suggestion] Kill msn's auto sound-reset by gnownoskcid on 10-14-2004 at 07:54 AM

for the sound problem, i used to have the exact same problem. I wanted to disable the sound when someone signs in.  But everytime i exited messenger and restart it, the sounds goes back to before.  This problem somehow doesn't exist with me anymore, but I forgot what i did to get rid of the problem.  Im sure I didn't rename any sound files to fix the problem.  I think the problem may have been something to do with polygamy overwriting the config of each other. I guess im not being too helpful here....

RE: [suggestion] Kill msn's auto sound-reset by madhattr999 on 10-26-2004 at 04:17 AM

This is an MSN related problem.. not Plus.. i think...

Same thing would happen to me if I log in onto an account that isnt the .net passport account.. it doesnt remember my msn settings or display.. whether plus is installed or not..

RE: [suggestion] Kill msn's auto sound-reset by CookieRevised on 10-26-2004 at 12:44 PM

Ok, for the sounds problem, that is a long going bug in MSN Messenger.

The ONLY fix that always works is to replace the sounds in your MSN Messenger directory.

Even editing the registry will not always work! Hence posting registry fixes is useless (see: "Fix MSN sound problems" and "MSN sounds...")...

see also:
"CookieRevised's reply to MSN sounds..." and "CookieRevised's reply to MSN sounds..."

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Leif
Wow that actually work... even though it has nothing to do with my adressbook, it worked ^_^
It has everything todo with it. Read the complete sentences of that option:
"This is a shared computer so don't store my address book, display picture, or background on it."

quote:
Could be a good feature for plus anyway; custom sounds for everything, not only contacts :p
There are custom sounds for "everything" already ;)
- signing in
- signing out
- changing status
- changing name
- and the others events are the basic sounds from MSN Messenger

RE: RE: [suggestion] Kill msn's auto sound-reset by DeltaBlast on 11-03-2004 at 08:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
It has everything todo with it. Read the complete sentences of that option:
"This is a shared computer so don't store my address book, display picture, or background on it."

Dutch version. Only says adress book :p
RE: [suggestion] Kill msn's auto sound-reset by CookieRevised on 11-06-2004 at 04:47 AM

Well why didn't you say that you use a dutch version, I wouldn't have replied that then ;) :P

Anyways, there are more not-so-accurate things in the dutch translation though. Many are fixed by now, but I guess still some things are left :D If you like you could report this to MSN though, so they can fix it ;)
http://messenger.msn.com/help/contactus.aspx