Shoutbox

ICQ over MSN? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: ICQ over MSN? (/showthread.php?tid=33032)

ICQ over MSN? by DJeX on 10-13-2004 at 09:05 PM

For the past 2 weeks or so I've seen an increase of people on my contacts list adding "add my ICQ #6765765 GET ICQ!" to there nicks.

Today I got about 10 people on my list that are now using ICQ. Some say they switched because of Msn's problems with Messenger and the service. They also say they want it for back up, incase Messenger goes down.

I've heard and I don't know if it's true but people I know that have had ICQ in the past say it's just about the worst IM out there. It loads you with spy ware and plus when you uninstall it it crashes your computer. I've heard this form many people I know and I think out of about the 10 or so people I've heard this form only 1 or 2 like ICQ. So why get it?

I know I wouldn’t switch to ICQ. Would you?

^o)

RE: ICQ over MSN? by .blade// on 10-13-2004 at 09:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
For the past 2 weeks or so I've seen an increase of people on my contacts list adding "add my ICQ #6765765 GET ICQ!" to there nicks.

Today I got about 10 people on my list that are now using ICQ. Some say they switched because of Msn's problems with Messenger and the service. They also say they want it for back up, incase Messenger goes down.

I've heard and I don't know if it's true but people I know that have had ICQ in the past say it's just about the worst IM out there. It loads you with spy ware and plus when you uninstall it it crashes your computer. I've heard this form many people I know and I think out of about the 10 or so people I've heard this form only 1 or 2 like ICQ. So why get it?

^o)

ICQ =< Shit
I don't use it, let alone switching to it...
RE: ICQ over MSN? by RebelSean on 10-13-2004 at 09:26 PM

quote:

Nope, I had it, it laged, it got delted...:refuck:
RE: ICQ over MSN? by thc2010 on 10-13-2004 at 09:48 PM

I use it to add people i want to talk to whom i dont trust. I olny add People to my MSN when I know them personaly. People go asking me why I olny have 26 People on my contact list, I tell em, those are all the people I personaly know, the rest of my internet buddies go to ICQ and Yahoo.

RE: ICQ over MSN? by Concord Dawn on 10-14-2004 at 12:24 AM

Just use Trillian.

RE: ICQ over MSN? by marissa on 10-14-2004 at 12:28 AM

it actually looks pretty nice, i personally havent used it, so i dontknow the behavior of the program. It seems like a user-friendly interface, but im too used to msn messenger to go switching around so easily...

Edit: Im using it right now, and its nice (Y) i like it

RE: ICQ over MSN? by Concord Dawn on 10-14-2004 at 12:39 AM

ICQ makes funneh noises. Teehee :D

RE: ICQ over MSN? by GoD on 10-14-2004 at 10:52 PM

quote:

^o)

Thats ICQ 98/99 your talking about.
you should try ICQ 4. most of the features Yahoo! and MSN are adding now are just old compared to ICQ. IMO ICQ has a better search engine and the best spam filter.
RE: ICQ over MSN? by Sizzleman45 on 10-14-2004 at 10:56 PM

WEll i had Icq peice of crap msn laggy aim pretty ok using it now trillen WEllk i have every messeger i'm picky

RE: ICQ over MSN? by DJeX on 10-14-2004 at 11:39 PM

quote:
Posted By: GoD
you should try ICQ 4. most of the features Yahoo! and MSN are adding now are just old compared to ICQ. IMO ICQ has a better search engine and the best spam filter.

Well whoop dee do about a spam filter, I don't get spam because I don't sign up for crap.

Ex. Doggy ad filed sites with sypware I don't sign up with.

And search engines?! Bah! Who needs more search engines we got enough! Google pleases me quite well. I don't need another. :D
RE: RE: ICQ over MSN? by Hank on 10-15-2004 at 12:11 AM

quote:
quote:

Well whoop dee do about a spam filter, I don't get spam because I don't sign up for crap.

And search engines?! Bah! Who needs more search engines we got enough! Google pleases me quite well. I don't need another. :D

ICQ4 is an will improve as there adding like ICQmail into ICQ4 an other features that are in ICQ2003 but i personally like Gaim or Trillian , but i htink with MSN Messenger7 on its way its just getting to Big compared to trillian an ICQ , i feel sorry for DialUp users that will have to download a 7+MB MSN Messenger7 Program along with its Bloatware, i seem to recall thats why users left ICQ due to the Ads etc in it,  an now MSN adding Winks an Nudges  who is gonna use them? Adults?  i dont think so , why didnt MSN make one for Kiddies an one for Adults without the bloat.  ,
RE: ICQ over MSN? by DJeX on 10-15-2004 at 12:40 AM

I read on a Msn site that the winks were aimed at the age groupe of Teens not adults or children. Not to sure about the nudges, thats just a copy off Yahoo and AIM.

RE: RE: ICQ over MSN? by Hank on 10-15-2004 at 07:27 AM

quote:
I read on a Msn site that the winks were aimed at the age groupe of Teens not adults or children. Not to sure about the nudges, thats just a copy off Yahoo and AIM.

what a waste, why didnt or havent they made 2 versions 1 with Nudges/winks an 1 without  , just aswell we Got  Patchou to improve the looks of MSN7 when its out ,  anyone know when exactly this Public beta of MSN Messenger7 will be out? .. i  read in mess.be ithat its due for December sometime  if thats the case the Feb final due date will be changed to i gather or not?
RE: ICQ over MSN? by user27089 on 10-15-2004 at 08:17 AM

I've never used and will never use icq for this reason, I don't like it, it just seems a little strange for me, and the user interface isn't very nice at all. Its just unprofessional ;S

RE: ICQ over MSN? by bach_m on 10-15-2004 at 11:00 AM

ICQ is one of the oldest chat programs around.

I used it back in 2000 and before, but switched when a lot of my friends switched.

Theres nothing unprofessional about the program. maybe u've all beceome MSN whores....

RE: ICQ over MSN? by user27089 on 10-15-2004 at 11:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
ICQ is one of the oldest chat programs around.

I used it back in 2000 and before, but switched when a lot of my friends switched.

Theres nothing unprofessional about the program. maybe u've all beceome MSN whores....

Yea, i suppose a lot of us all have, i know that i'm obsessed with it, and don't like using aim or anything, i use it, just not a lot ...
RE: RE: ICQ over MSN? by thc2010 on 10-15-2004 at 12:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
Just use Trillian.

I dont like to use trillian cuz it looks like shit. Looks like a kid made it.. Sry to say but its true. MSN 7.0 Looks way better, ICQ looks way better and Yahoo Messenger Looks Way better. Trillian doesnt have everything MSN has (Tabs). I just put ICQ 2 Go and Webmsn on my tabs incase i need to check my ICQ. SO basicly, I got a Trillian Version of MSN but the other messenger clients are Tabs. I also have Java Based Chikka (SMM + SMP Mobile Free Text Messenger) on my Tabs, mIRC Quik on my tabs, Neowin on my tabs, and Plus! on my tabs. In all trillian can suck my nutz!!!

You just have to know how to use msn messenger. Ohhyeah, I forgot... TRILLIAN DOESNT HAVE PLUS3!!!! HAHAHAHAHHAA!!!!

Doesnt have 3 Degrees Suported. Etc... well you get the point.. trillian sucks, i meen it was good, when msn 5.0 was out.... then tabs in msn 6.0 changed all that
RE: RE: RE: ICQ over MSN? by Hank on 10-15-2004 at 01:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by thc2010
quote:
Just use Trillian.

I dont like to use trillian cuz it looks like shit. Looks like a kid made it.. Sry to say but its true. MSN 7.0 Looks way better, ICQ looks way better and Yahoo Messenger Looks Way better. Trillian doesnt have everything MSN has (Tabs). I just put ICQ 2 Go and Webmsn on my tabs incase i need to check my ICQ. SO basicly, I got a Trillian Version of MSN but the other messenger clients are Tabs. I also have Java Based Chikka (SMM + SMP Mobile Free Text Messenger) on my Tabs, mIRC Quik on my tabs, Neowin on my tabs, and Plus! on my tabs. In all trillian can suck my nutz!!!

You just have to know how to use msn messenger. Ohhyeah, I forgot... TRILLIAN DOESNT HAVE PLUS3!!!! HAHAHAHAHHAA!!!!

Doesnt have 3 Degrees Suported. Etc... well you get the point.. trillian sucks, i meen it was good, when msn 5.0 was out.... then tabs in msn 6.0 changed all that

Umm.. trillian does Have tabs if im right  an skins an plugins
RE: RE: ICQ over MSN? by GoD on 10-16-2004 at 04:53 AM

quote:
quote:

Sorry i ment *User* Search engine aka "ICQ Whitepages" - This helps u meet new friends from all over the world and not just add someone u already know.
Spam filter filters msgs from users not on ur contact list.
I think its clear now (Y)
RE: ICQ over MSN? by DJeX on 10-17-2004 at 07:02 AM

Humm ok then. :mipdodgy:

RE: ICQ over MSN? by CookieRevised on 10-18-2004 at 06:14 PM

Since you're comparing to different types of IM's with both there own possebilities, pro's and cons (everything depends on user preferences) here I go in defence:

quote:
Originally posted by GoD
Sorry i ment *User* Search engine aka "ICQ Whitepages" - This helps u meet new friends from all over the world and not just add someone u already know.
MSN Messenger has just the same: http://members.msn.com/

quote:
Originally posted by GoD
Spam filter filters msgs from users not on ur contact list.
In Messenger just thick "only people on my allowlist can send me messages", et voila, no spamfilter needed at all...

In short: both not valid arguments for pro's for ICQ...
RE: ICQ over MSN? by saralk on 10-18-2004 at 08:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Demandred
why didnt MSN make one for Kiddies an one for Adults without the bloat.  ,

Windows Messenger? the latest version of it has DPs and CEs, but no fun and games, or nudges or other 'bloat'
RE: ICQ over MSN? by Guido on 10-19-2004 at 12:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
quote:
why didnt MSN make one for Kiddies an one for Adults without the bloat.  ,

Windows Messenger? the latest version of it has DPs and CEs, but no fun and games, or nudges or other 'bloat'
You sure it has DPs and CEs? What version?

RE: ICQ over MSN? by Concord Dawn on 10-19-2004 at 12:43 AM

4.7 or later. BTW

AIM < YIM < TRILLIAN < ICQ < MSN = mIRC :refuck:

RE: RE: RE: RE: ICQ over MSN? by thc2010 on 10-19-2004 at 01:12 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by thc2010
quote:
Just use Trillian.

Umm.. trillian does Have tabs if im right  an skins an plugins

Trillian doesnt suck as i said it did, but it still sucks, since it doesnt have plus 3. Trillian doesnt have Custom tabs... it may have tabs, but you cant make your own website for a tab on trillian, I meen I admit, Trillian is a good Chat Software but its not as popular since it doesnt look as nice as MSN Messenger. Well to most people it doesnt. Every one has difrent taste, and this is a forum, forums are ment for Opinions.... so in my opinion, I like MSN messenger Better... About ICQ, it sucks!! I find using mIRC fun compared to ICQ, and its annoing "Ohh, Ohh!" bullshit childish sounds