Shoutbox

Connecting to an IRC server from within plugin - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Connecting to an IRC server from within plugin (/showthread.php?tid=33117)

Connecting to an IRC server from within plugin by Ash_ on 10-15-2004 at 02:15 PM

ive been thinking about making an IRC plugin for plus.

ive come across a few problems tho
1.) waiting for the winsock to connect freezes the IMWindow. i checked the forums for creating threads from within a plugin ( in visual basic) and found it wasnt possible but linking between an active x exe and sending back and forth commands might work

2.) another problem is where would i store the message from IRC. i was thinkin in the conversation the connection was initiated in but it would get confusing having two conversations in one window. then i thought of opening a whole new IM Window to have IRC in. ive been looking around but the only way i can get a new window open is through the windows messenger api. and i dont even know where to begin storing message into it because it says something about he/she not being on my contact list. but i know addons such as messengerdiscovery put messages in just your side of the IM window. i could use a feature such as this to post the messages in the window but typing aswell. and the nicklist would be another hard thing.

i just want a few pointers in the right direction and can you please let me know if this project is even possible?

thanks in advance Ash

RE: Connecting to an IRC server from within plugin by RaceProUK on 10-15-2004 at 07:24 PM

1: Yes it is possible to create threads in VB.
2: Make your own window!