Shoutbox

IDEA | Others Messenger plus! contacts - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: IDEA | Others Messenger plus! contacts (/showthread.php?tid=33154)

IDEA | Others Messenger plus! contacts by abatonime on 10-16-2004 at 01:34 PM

hi
I think the msg plus! picture before a contact in contacts list must be show only if the contact have installed msg plus!. However if the mouse stay on a contact who have not installed msg plus!, an other picture is showed. And if msg plus! don't know if the contact have installed msg plus another one picture is showed.

what do you think of that exept the mistakes ?

RE: IDEA | Others Messenger plus! contacts by Anubis on 10-16-2004 at 04:30 PM

No point, the button has nothing to do with them having Plus or not...Just lets you access features of Plus that apply to that contact...

RE: IDEA | Others Messenger plus! contacts by Tochjo on 10-16-2004 at 04:41 PM

Also, in order to be able to do your idea (which has been suggested in a slightly different way, like changing the green buddy icon to something with a Plus! logo), you need to know who has Plus! installed.

In your way, Plus! should send data to get this information in a hidden way - people will not know they have been checked to see if they have Plus!. This can be considered a breach of privacy and will therefore not be added.

RE: IDEA | Others Messenger plus! contacts by abatonime on 10-16-2004 at 07:46 PM

we can know if the contact have installed msg plus using  /ping
and when you click right on a contact and then   msg plus! Extras\contact information   there is write "Contact has msg plus installed (last chek xx/xx/xx)"

RE: IDEA | Others Messenger plus! contacts by Tochjo on 10-16-2004 at 07:47 PM

Yes, but when you do that, the contact gets notified you are checking him. If your suggestion gets implemented, this won't be the case.

RE: IDEA | Others Messenger plus! contacts by Volv on 10-17-2004 at 02:22 AM

Not to mention it is possible to disable responses to /pings...

RE: IDEA | Others Messenger plus! contacts by michael_m91 on 10-17-2004 at 05:24 AM

There are to many things that can go wrong with this, the fact that (like mentioned here already) you would half to do a ping with each person, and it would take alot longer for plus to go through each member and decide if it sould show an icon.

RE: IDEA | Others Messenger plus! contacts by FrozernFire on 10-17-2004 at 01:24 PM

and the contact window will sort of be messed up too... and some people might not want others to know that they have msg plus eg i don't want people to know that i use openConvo or they have fun bombing me with popups

RE: IDEA | Others Messenger plus! contacts by NeoMatter on 10-18-2004 at 02:13 AM

Now I didn't quite pay attention to most of the replys, but this is what I understand. Abatonime "thinks" their should be away to be able to find out if a person has Plus! without having to use "Ping" Command, like a different Person Icon in the contacts list or something.

I understand that some people do not want other people to be to know that they have Plus! as well because of bombing and ect. I don't really know if this would be a pain in the butt, but why not have Plus! change the Person Icon in the contact list if that person(s) has Plus! and for protection if some one doesn't want others to know that they have Plus!, make an option to have Plus! Hidden from others and maybe other options to protect from other Plus! users from Bombing and ect.

*Waits to be yelled at...*

RE: IDEA | Others Messenger plus! contacts by FrozernFire on 10-18-2004 at 03:42 AM

from what i understand, you just want a different icon for ppl with plus. im not sure if this is possible, but maybe a different icon can be used for people who has plus detected by using the ping command, so there will be no privacy questions or anything by some hidden ping

RE: IDEA | Others Messenger plus! contacts by CookieRevised on 10-18-2004 at 03:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by FrozernFire
from what i understand, you just want a different icon for ppl with plus. im not sure if this is possible, but maybe a different icon can be used for people who has plus detected by using the ping command, so there will be no privacy questions or anything by some hidden ping
That's something I would find to be nice. But as said previously: only this, thus not the automatic checking etc...

(IMHO an icon in the chatwindow next to the webcam icon or something, which reflects the three possible states of what is in the Contact Info: "Not yet checked", "Has Plus!" and "Maybe has/has not Plus!": [Image: attachment.php?pid=324905]. And clicking on it performs the /ping command.)
RE: RE: IDEA | Others Messenger plus! contacts by Leif on 10-18-2004 at 03:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
(IMHO an icon in the chatwindow next to the webcam icon or something, which reflects the three possible states of what is in the Contact Info: "Not yet checked", "Has Plus!" and "Maybe has/has not Plus!": [Image: attachment.php?pid=324905]. And clicking on it performs the /ping command.)

What a splendid idea! I second that!! Patchou?
RE: IDEA | Others Messenger plus! contacts by abatonime on 10-18-2004 at 04:29 PM

That's what i tryed to explain