Shoutbox

receiving oversized emoticons without SPNG - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: receiving oversized emoticons without SPNG (/showthread.php?tid=33198)

receiving oversized emoticons without SPNG by gnownoskcid on 10-17-2004 at 01:47 AM

this idea just came across my mind...

with SPNG, you are enabled to send oversized emoticons if the other person also have SPNG. However, this would not work if the other person doesn't have SPNG

then i remembered that you can send hand-drawned images of any size to anyone even if the other person doesn't have plus!

here's a msgPlus plugin project idea:
create a plugin that can send pictures as hand-drawn images

(ok that is not exactly oversized emoticons like the title says)

RE: receiving oversized emoticons without SPNG by VuDu on 10-17-2004 at 02:09 PM

seems to be a good idea,  maybe someone that knows how Handwriting plugin works may give some more information about that possibility. :)

RE: receiving oversized emoticons without SPNG by Menthix on 10-17-2004 at 02:31 PM

Well, if it's gonna be used for things like emoticons,winks and DP's then no. But i think it can be usefull for other things like for example showing somebody a picture without the need for your contact to press accept.

The idea is nice, it just depends on what you do with it to make it usefull.

RE: receiving oversized emoticons without SPNG by TRIFORCE89 on 10-17-2004 at 06:38 PM

I would think that it's possible for someone to make this. The current HandWriting Enabler plugin is basically just InfoPen. Now, there is InfoPen Pro...which does what you're asking for. It converts pictures into ink. So, we just need a new version of HandWriting Enabler to be based on InfoPen Pro.

RE: receiving oversized emoticons without SPNG by user27089 on 10-17-2004 at 06:48 PM

Well, its a really good idea, but surely if y ou want to recieve large emotes then you'll also want to show them aswell.. why not just use stuffplug, rather than patchou wasting time.. stick with stuffplug mate ;) ;)

RE: receiving oversized emoticons without SPNG by Menthix on 10-17-2004 at 07:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
stick with stuffplug mate
quote:
Originally posted by gnownoskcid
with SPNG, you are enabled to send oversized emoticons if the other person also have SPNG. However, this would not work if the other person doesn't have SPNG
His point is that native MSN clients can recieve ink without any plugin. SPNG needs SPNG at both sides.
RE: receiving oversized emoticons without SPNG by benjyrama on 10-17-2004 at 08:35 PM

its a lot harder to develop the handwriting plugin to do this as infopen did as infopen is an actual company based plugin whilst handwriting only enables a tablet pc's msn messenger capabilities

RE: receiving oversized emoticons without SPNG by _Humphreys on 10-17-2004 at 08:59 PM

Yeh when you want to use overside emoticons on n00bs like old news is so exciting or captain obv they say, "whats that small thing" as they are too stupid to install the stufplug so it would help if someone could add it too plus or make a plugin so everyone can see the emoticons the size they should be.

RE: receiving oversized emoticons without SPNG by Kashif on 10-18-2004 at 12:51 AM

sounds to me as a nice idea ! but it just sounds to be a nice idea :D.

neways .. one needs to give it a try . i think its worth a try though :)

RE: receiving oversized emoticons without SPNG by CookieRevised on 10-18-2004 at 03:54 PM

quote:
then i remembered that you can send hand-drawned images of any size to anyone even if the other person doesn't have plus!
Handwriting messages are actually vectors. Emoticons and other things are bitmaps. It is difficult to convert bitmaps to vectors (without sending lots of data).

quote:
Originally posted by TRIFORCE89
The current HandWriting Enabler plugin is basically just InfoPen.
No... InfoPen adds different things to the already build-in handwriting reconizer of MSN Messenger.
The Handwriting plugin does nothing more then fooling MSN Messenger that it is running on a tablet PC and thus enabling the standard build-in handwriting features.

quote:
Now, there is InfoPen Pro...which does what you're asking for. It converts pictures into ink.
And those can ONLY be send/viewed if the other person also has InfoPen Pro!

quote:
So, we just need a new version of HandWriting Enabler to be based on InfoPen Pro.
Like said above, the handwriting plugin isn't based upon anything. It doesn't contain ANY features!! It only fools MSN Messenger that it is run on a tablet PC.
RE: receiving oversized emoticons without SPNG by gnownoskcid on 10-19-2004 at 10:26 PM

now that i am unbanned, i can reply...

if handwritting are vectors, then they can still be saved as files. For example, microsoft clip arts are in vectors (forgot extensions). Maybe it is possible to draw with the plugin and save the pics with a 'save button' or you can create these files using flash or equivelent softwares. Since flash has a tool that can convert bitmap to vector, I think this is quite possible.

RE: receiving oversized emoticons without SPNG by Guido on 10-19-2004 at 11:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
And those can ONLY be send/viewed if the other person also has InfoPen Pro
Are you sure? Doesn't make sense... InfoPen Pro is paid... And for some reason they are converted into handwriting, to be seen by MSN Messenger without any plugins :-/

quote:
For example, microsoft clip arts are in vectors
.WMF (windows metafile format)
RE: RE: receiving oversized emoticons without SPNG by CookieRevised on 10-19-2004 at 11:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
And those can ONLY be send/viewed if the other person also has InfoPen Pro
Are you sure? Doesn't make sense... InfoPen Pro is paid... And for some reason they are converted into handwriting, to be seen by MSN Messenger without any plugins :-/
If he was talking about the same thing, then yeah, I'm sure... those pics were only visible when both parties had InfoPenPro (that's the reason why I dished it immediatly). The pics weren't exactly converted to vector ink messages though. They still were bitmaps, only encapseled in an ink drawing. To view them you needed InfoPenPro.

quote:
if handwritting are vectors, then they can still be saved as files. For example, microsoft clip arts are in vectors (forgot extensions). Maybe it is possible to draw with the plugin and save the pics with a 'save button' or you can create these files using flash or equivelent softwares. Since flash has a tool that can convert bitmap to vector, I think this is quite possible.
It wouldn't be totaly impossible what you suggest, but it will be very extremely hard to do. Converting pure bitmaps to vectors is not easy at all and in fact it will screw things up 99% of the time. (and if they are not screwed up, they will be very very huge vector graphics, also something you don't want for this "feature")

Ink is, btw, not the easiest vector format to work with. But say that you could convert bitmap images to pure ink ("pure" because you could also convert into an ecapseled ink, but that isn't viewable without a plugin/addon), you still need the whole "gui" to let you select an image, convert it and automatically send it to you contact...

On a personal note, I hope that there will never be such a thing were you can recieve oversized emoticons (without the need of a plugin)... 19x19 is a nice, decent and proper size for emoticons. I don't want to recieve full blown 500x500 stupid things...