Shoutbox

Password-Protecting shared folders on network (Windows XP) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Password-Protecting shared folders on network (Windows XP) (/showthread.php?tid=33235)

Password-Protecting shared folders on network (Windows XP) by Mike on 10-17-2004 at 05:46 PM

Hello...

On older windows version there was a textbox to password protect your folders when sharing them.....
But i cant find this option on windows xp! Look screenshoot
[Image: attachment.php?pid=324424]

Anyone  know how to pwd protect folders when sharing them?

Thanks!

RE: Password-Protecting shared folders on network (Windows XP) by Menthix on 10-17-2004 at 07:38 PM

That's because you use the Windows XP simple file sharing feature. You should disable simple file scharing to be able to assign passwords.

Read how to enable and disable simple file sharing here.

RE: Password-Protecting shared folders on network (Windows XP) by Mike on 10-17-2004 at 08:47 PM

Hmmmm ok now i see a diffrent sharing tab...
But i still cant find anything to put a password...
There is only a permissions button that allows you to add users but not choose passwords...
Anyway i should look more at it tommorow...

RE: Password-Protecting shared folders on network (Windows XP) by Black_Forky on 10-17-2004 at 09:30 PM

Did you try googling for a file & folder encryption proggy?

RE: Password-Protecting shared folders on network (Windows XP) by Menthix on 10-17-2004 at 09:32 PM

Hmm. that's true. You'll need to play arround with the rights, unfortuanally it isn't that easy like it was in 98/ME anymore :s.

You could also make the folder private for your account only: http://www.worldstart.com/tips/file-management/pa...prtct-fldrshtm.htm . Which is more simpler but only gives access with your own private password.