Shoutbox

Googles new project called GnuX! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Googles new project called GnuX! (/showthread.php?tid=33240)

Googles new project called GnuX! by R-Style on 10-17-2004 at 07:41 PM

Google is working on a secret project called GnuX.
This will be a free Linux distro.... a big enemy of MS will this be.

What do you think must Google make this real...

I don't wanna post a source because i will not to get in trouble with google..

RE: Googles new project called GnuX! by _Humphreys on 10-17-2004 at 07:48 PM

Google making a Os to rival MS I doubt but I have been wrong loads of times though.

RE: Googles new project called GnuX! by DJeX on 10-17-2004 at 07:50 PM

Ahh c'mon just post the source, how is Google going to know you posted it here. And any ways what would they do ban you from there site most likely not and if they did so what.

Unless you work for Google :o

RE: Googles new project called GnuX! by lizard.boy on 10-17-2004 at 07:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by R-Style
I don't wanna post a source because i will not to get in trouble with google..

do you mean source of the distro, or source of the information?
RE: Googles new project called GnuX! by x2zen on 10-17-2004 at 07:56 PM

Are Google just going mad with making new stuff, they have recently launched Google Desktop: http://desktop.google.com

RE: Googles new project called GnuX! by ipab on 10-17-2004 at 07:59 PM

OMG i didnt even kno about that, seems like they are realli sticking to their goal of categorising everything in the world!

RE: Googles new project called GnuX! by Anubis on 10-17-2004 at 08:05 PM

Cool, this could be good...Maybe this will give Linux that boost to the general public they want...or it's just bull. btw, if you have the source code me wants a peek :p

RE: Googles new project called GnuX! by Menthix on 10-17-2004 at 08:24 PM

I say hoax. Google is a company aimed at search technology, what's there to earn from a own linux based OS?

RE: Googles new project called GnuX! by RebelSean on 10-17-2004 at 09:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
I say hoax. Google is a company aimed at search technology, what's there to earn from a own linux based OS?

I agree. Something like this was posted on mess.be but was just a hoax as well...:)
RE: Googles new project called GnuX! by Concord Dawn on 10-17-2004 at 09:38 PM

They could build in Google Search features into GnuX. Maybe this isn't BS.

RE: Googles new project called GnuX! by toddy on 10-17-2004 at 09:43 PM

some else who came on the forum for a while, as said about google buildin an OS so think it mite be true.  but then again it could all just be bull

RE: Googles new project called GnuX! by Menthix on 10-17-2004 at 09:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
They could build in Google Search features into GnuX.
They must include all of the Google search function into it, like an email client that only reads GMail, browser with build in GoogleBar, build in desktop search and all that, that's the only way they make money. However, conincing people they should change their entire OS just because it has some Google functions build in is ridicilous, that's why i say hoax.

RE: Googles new project called GnuX! by ZrednaZ on 10-17-2004 at 10:03 PM

Hmm... shouldn't they be concentrating on completing their current projects rather than starting new ones? :dodgy:

Gbrowser, Gmail, Desktop seach, Froogle and so on. :)

RE: Googles new project called GnuX! by Patchou on 10-17-2004 at 11:15 PM

quote:
Maybe this will give Linux that boost to the general public they want
Funny.. reminds me of somethign I've heard in the past years everytime a new version of Linux was released :p. I don't know if it's true or not but if it is, it's a mistake and they will fail as all the others have failed before (I'm taking about making a real user friendly OS here, not a server related one).
RE: Googles new project called GnuX! by DJeX on 10-18-2004 at 01:19 AM

I think Google is trying to flood every one with there programs so when people go to get a OS, email, desktop crap or even search for something they will think Google. It sounds like what Sadam Husane did, he brain washed his people into thinking he was the one and only and that you must die for your country and be a phyco suicide bomber lol.

Google very doggy :mipdodgy:
Google Spying on us :mipdodgy:

RE: RE: Googles new project called GnuX! by Anubis on 10-18-2004 at 04:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
quote:
Maybe this will give Linux that boost to the general public they want
Funny.. reminds me of somethign I've heard in the past years everytime a new version of Linux was released :p. I don't know if it's true or not but if it is, it's a mistake and they will fail as all the others have failed before (I'm taking about making a real user friendly OS here, not a server related one).

Gentoo linux, imo, has a real nice UI and is very friendly to the public but lacks publicity. At the end of the day hardly anyone uses Linux as a primary OS for everyday tasks and playing around due to compatibility and unpopularity mainly. If Google can do this and make a real nice Linux based OS, I think we can see your everyday computer user giving it a go...
RE: Googles new project called GnuX! by _Humphreys on 10-18-2004 at 08:45 PM

When I think of Linux I think of that as the second Os option that why I won't ever use it and I bet thats why some other people don't use it as well espcially n00bs most of them think only Microsoft make Os's.:^)

RE: Googles new project called GnuX! by Pr0xY on 10-19-2004 at 01:54 AM

Google making an OS?  What's next on their list.... running for president?

RE: Googles new project called GnuX! by Pyroteq on 10-19-2004 at 08:15 AM

Patchou OS (Y)

RE: Googles new project called GnuX! by Guido on 10-21-2004 at 06:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Scone
Patchou OS (Y)
lol, I'd design that logo :)
RE: Googles new project called GnuX! by tony on 10-21-2004 at 07:39 PM

what are you waiting for [Image: rocknana.gif]

RE: Googles new project called GnuX! by Concord Dawn on 10-22-2004 at 03:46 AM

Incorporating all the features of Plus! into one crazy OS. I'd honestly buy that. That would be some sweet s**t. While we wait, I'm going to design a Plus! skin for WindowBlinds, which will be available for download sometime in the next couple of months at WinCustomize.net.