Shoutbox

Find Contact (in the list) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Find Contact (in the list) (/showthread.php?tid=33577)

Find Contact (in the list) by Novex on 10-24-2004 at 07:26 AM

Having just realised exactly how much time I waste looking through my msn list for a specific contact I just made a mad attempt search through it by clicking on my main msn window and pushing ctrl+F

It didnt work :(

What, however, would be cool, would be if it did work! I reckon it'd be pretty nifty (and one hell of a time-saver) for those of us with hefty lists and contacts who just have to keep changing their nick (of that, I too am guilty as charged :D)

Anyhoo just a simple ctrl+F and the results could either pop up in a window (much like the events log, with last name, email addy, extra comments or time last seen online or something) or just select the matches in alphabetical order on the actual contact list (you know like how in notepad if there's more than one occurance you push F3 to go to the next one :))

Anyhoo just an idea that popped into my head.. it shou;d make sense, if it doesnt Ill come back and clarify (if anyone asks) when Ive had some sleep and no alcohol the previous night :$

RE: Find Contact (in the list) by Eljay on 10-24-2004 at 07:32 AM

this is where the custom names feature comes in

RE: Find Contact (in the list) by Novex on 10-24-2004 at 07:56 AM

Yeah I know, but I like to see actual msn names.. Generally cause it offers info about what's going on or what mood the person is in :)

RE: Find Contact (in the list) by Tochjo on 10-24-2004 at 09:52 AM

You can use Custom Names and still show the contact's name:
CustomName - (!N)
for example will show your custom name and his name as well :)

RE: Find Contact (in the list) by Novex on 10-24-2004 at 11:09 AM

hey that's a nifty idea :D

Ima do that to them now, thanks for that.. didnt realise you could put tags in their names :D

RE: Find Contact (in the list) by Joe771 on 10-24-2004 at 03:17 PM

Is there any way to make it so part of the custom name is is bold? So you could have your the custom name in bold, followed by their nickname in standard text? It'd just make it a little clearer and tidier if it's possible.
Thanks.

RE: Find Contact (in the list) by Tochjo on 10-24-2004 at 03:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Joe771
Is there any way to make it so part of the custom name is is bold?
Currently, this isn't possible, mainly due to the way the contact list works. However, if you take a look at Messenger 7 and Plus! compatibility, you will see that the MSN Messenger 7 contact list offers exciting new possibilies when it comes to formatting. Your nice suggestion might be considered then :)
RE: Find Contact (in the list) by Joe771 on 10-24-2004 at 05:48 PM

Thanks Tochjo, that looks like a really good feature. Shame we have to wait until February next year though!

RE: Find Contact (in the list) by lopardo on 10-24-2004 at 06:17 PM

BTW, why don't you use Plus! contact manager? (Plus! > Contact list clean-up).

RE: Find Contact (in the list) by Novex on 10-25-2004 at 11:43 AM

Cause I dont know emails off by heart either :/

This (!N) thing is working really nicely :D just one question, why does it not show emoticons in the actual conversation? :S Is that a bug?

RE: Find Contact (in the list) by Sunshine on 10-25-2004 at 11:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Novex
Cause I dont know emails off by heart either :/

This (!N) thing is working really nicely :D just one question, why does it not show emoticons in the actual conversation? :S Is that a bug?
Nope, that's not a bug its a limitation of custom names.

RE: Find Contact (in the list) by Novex on 10-25-2004 at 11:56 AM

ahh jeez, knew it was too good to be true :P

RE: Find Contact (in the list) by Pyroteq on 10-25-2004 at 12:46 PM

im using it for all my contacts so its easy to find in the list (and so i dont forget who they are :p) the no emotions dosnt bother me at all really