Shoutbox

MessengerDiscovery problems - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: MessengerDiscovery problems (/showthread.php?tid=33626)

MessengerDiscovery problems by Pyroteq on 10-25-2004 at 09:40 AM

I installed the first version of messenger discovery a long time ago and it always crashed straight away with a runtime error. therefore i deleted it.
I heard about it being updated so i thought hey maybe its fixed now. downloaded it and wat do u no the program opens but most features crash. it always crashes after 30seconds anyway. it made it difficult to sign into msn randomly crashing the messenger client. The documented features were basically invisible, i think i saw about four options. the sign in offline status feautre i couldnt find.

Is everyone else having these problems or does discovery just not like me?

RE: MessengerDiscovery..Is it just me or is it really gay? by John on 10-25-2004 at 09:52 AM

Everyone is, you have to be lucky for it to actually work how it's supposed to and it's also a friggin RAM whore. It has never worked for me with any version and in the latest version then options menu doesn't even appear. MD is the most feeble made program i know of. ^o)

No offence to the makers of MD, it's just my opinion :)

RE: MessengerDiscovery..Is it just me or is it really gay? by Tourist on 10-25-2004 at 10:22 AM

I've been using MD for a while now, I haven't had any errors.

RE: MessengerDiscovery..Is it just me or is it really gay? by Abz2k4 on 10-25-2004 at 10:29 AM

I downloaded and installed it but didn't really find any of it's features useful so i uninstalled it.

RE: MessengerDiscovery..Is it just me or is it really gay? by _Humphreys on 10-25-2004 at 10:36 AM

What is Messenger Discovery and why do most people get runtime errors?

RE: MessengerDiscovery..Is it just me or is it really gay? by Anubis on 10-25-2004 at 12:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Attitude Extreme
What is Messenger Discovery and why do most people get runtime errors?

An add-on for MSN Messenger like Plus...but it's newer and buggy (and unlike Messenger Mate :refuck:) shows promise and a future...here you can check out the site at www.MessengerDiscovery.com but some UK ISPs (both BT and NTL that you use) have problems connecting to it...

RE: MessengerDiscovery..Is it just me or is it really gay? by _Humphreys on 10-25-2004 at 12:13 PM

Ok thank you for the info but with these runtime errors and such it sounds dodgy I think I'll just stick with Plus! and some plugins.

RE: MessengerDiscovery..Is it just me or is it really gay? by Pyroteq on 10-25-2004 at 12:44 PM

im not meaning offence to the creators or anyone im sure its a great program for those who it works for but for me its extremly dodgey and ill choose not to use it.

RE: MessengerDiscovery..Is it just me or is it really gay? by Purity on 10-25-2004 at 02:22 PM

i find most of the features usefule and fun like the fake error message feature:D[Image: sperm.gif]

RE: MessengerDiscovery..Is it just me or is it really gay? by Mr.T on 10-25-2004 at 04:00 PM

matt has worked extremely hard on this project.

converting all his code from vb to c++ is a major task.

runtime errors??? are you using the newest version?
runtimes errors normaly = visual basic

RE: MessengerDiscovery..Is it just me or is it really gay? by lizard.boy on 10-25-2004 at 09:28 PM

i've never really had stability errors with discovery :S but i have had problems using visual styles.

RE: MessengerDiscovery..Is it just me or is it really gay? by gnownoskcid on 10-26-2004 at 12:40 AM

i've been using MD for more than a week now, I didn't get any error...

Most of the features in MD are in plus and plus' plugins already, but i do enjoy using the !imitate, block detection, disable "user is typing" message, msn window titlebar rename

however i find that:
the block detection is really inaccurate
remove "mobile" group dont always work
flood detection ALWAYS delete contact even if you choose to block him/her

but the signing in as any status you choose is really good IMO, at least i dont get any errors so it's still good

RE: MessengerDiscovery..Is it just me or is it really gay? by Concord Dawn on 10-26-2004 at 12:42 AM

MD is REALLY dodgy, and is a proxy. Two of the best reasons not to use it. I find that it isn't really useful anyways, since most of the features are Plus! plugins and the rest can be done with Dimension, which is NOT a proxy.

RE: MessengerDiscovery..Is it just me or is it really gay? by gnownoskcid on 10-26-2004 at 01:49 AM

huh? MD a proxy? what do you mean? im not familiar with proxies. Can you explain what they are and why they're bad?

RE: MessengerDiscovery..Is it just me or is it really gay? by Concord Dawn on 10-26-2004 at 01:58 AM

A proxy is something that directs some or all of your internet traffic through itself. This can be bad because it can cause instabilities, security holes, and other malicious things.

RE: MessengerDiscovery..Is it just me or is it really gay? by ipab on 10-26-2004 at 02:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
MD is REALLY dodgy, and is a proxy. Two of the best reasons not to use it. I find that it isn't really useful anyways, since most of the features are Plus! plugins and the rest can be done with Dimension, which is NOT a proxy.

i believe dimension acts as a proxy, otherwise y would jon make such a big fuss over trying to figure out a way to hook dimension into msn messenger 7.0 :O, since the "traditional" way that msn handled proxies was changed in 7.0, disabling or crippling the proper functioning of addons like MessengerDiscovery and Dimension.

As for the stability issues, they have improved tenfold since the highly unstable 2.0 :O, many people who have 98 and Me are experiencing problems (runtime errors), these will most likely be solved in version 3 anyway! So keep your hopes up, cause Messenger Discovery is about to go through a thorough cleanup as it is being recoded from the ground up (effekt is porting it from vb to c++, thus removing the annoying runtime errors)!
RE: MessengerDiscovery..Is it just me or is it really gay? by Concord Dawn on 10-26-2004 at 02:24 AM

Dimension is not a proxy, since I can exit it without it disconnecting me from MSN, and I have all my Proxy options cleared.

RE: MessengerDiscovery..Is it just me or is it really gay? by eckocomplex on 10-26-2004 at 05:01 AM

Your run time errors are because you use an OS that is out of date (as a side note so are your clothes :P - kidding).  Oh yeah, if it's 'gay' then why has it grown to 1/5 of the popularity of Plus! and still in a couple of months? Hmmm......

Also not to mention the amount of people that want MessengerDiscovery features in Plus! is amazing.

Anyway I guess it's just you (and your closely related n**bs). I mean it isn't my fault you can't accept that Plus! isn't the only addon :). And gay? I didn't know software could be homesexual. Shutup homophobe :).

Peace out dudes (h).

Disclaimer:
You want your opinion about my software? Sweet. That was my opinion about you and what you have to say :refuck:.

Don't take this as a swing at Plus!. It's not. It's a swing at who ever thinks they're cool in trying to start wars and who can only say negative things in this world. Children -_-.

Oh yeah, dimension acts as a bouncer.

RE: MessengerDiscovery..Is it just me or is it really gay? by Pyroteq on 10-26-2004 at 07:52 AM

Admin/Mod: Edit the name of this thread to Messenger Discovery problems. I shouldnt have used the phrase "is it just really gay"

Sorry eckocomplex im not having a go at you or your program
It just dosnt (and never has worked for me)
That may be because of my OS (winME) but i do get more than just runtime errors, unexpected program crashes, messenger problems (even after uninstalling)
Ever other developer/program configures thier software to work on other OS's than windows xp. there are those of us who cant afford to upgrade like you can.

At least document on your website (visibly) That this program hasnt been known to work with windows ME (and whatever other systems it hasnt worked with) And let us know that there is compatability issues.

Hopefully you will fix this in your next version.
Sorry for any offence.

RE: MessengerDiscovery..Is it just me or is it really gay? by eckocomplex on 10-26-2004 at 08:22 AM

I'm suprised Windows ME works for you. You should really upgrade to XP (at least) :P.

RE: MessengerDiscovery..Is it just me or is it really gay? by FrozernFire on 10-26-2004 at 10:21 AM

at least plus! has a higher percentage of working on computers than MD. mine can run but when i sign in, it stays forever at the sign in screen and signing in again won't help either. i reinstalled it and it refused to work at all.

and oh yea, it's about being noobs or watever, it's more like user-friendliness of the program.

RE: MessengerDiscovery problems by mIzZmEtHoDz on 11-02-2004 at 07:47 AM

[font=Impact]well I tried installing MD ages ago, and it didn't work, and stopped my msn working too, so I uninstalled.  A few days ago I reinstalled my entire operating system and decided to try it again, and now it works fine.  Got a lotta cool stuff, like the !imitate and !error functions, and deletion dectection, tells ya when sum1 opens a convo window, and all sorts of stuff.  As good as (if not better) than Plus I reckon, and both of them together make msn a lot more fun.............. :)

RE: MessengerDiscovery problems by FrozernFire on 11-02-2004 at 01:56 PM

reinstalled entire operating system?? :o. just downloaded it and my msn is forever signing in... never works for me. must be it being a proxy