Shoutbox

Messages not going through.... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Messages not going through.... (/showthread.php?tid=33690)

Messages not going through.... by dashrendar on 10-26-2004 at 09:29 PM

Hi, I've spent a while trying to find a solution or someone with a similar problem as this but couldn't, so here goes:

Sometimes when I send somebody a message it doesn't go through. A while later they message me "You there?"... and I reply "Yes, I just messaged you"... and they say they haven't received anything.

This happens some of the time with all my contacts. I do NOT get any error messages or anything. It happens randomly.

It seems as if the messages get dropped along the way. Is this a software, connection or Microsoft server issue?

Thanks

RE: Messages not going through.... by lopardo on 10-26-2004 at 10:56 PM

Try switching servers (read that thread, it could be useful for you).

RE: Messages not going through.... by dashrendar on 10-26-2004 at 11:33 PM

Thanks, I downloaded the MSNServers program and switched servers. I'll test it out and let you guys know if this fixes my problem.

RE: Messages not going through.... by RaceProUK on 10-27-2004 at 11:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
Try switching servers (read that thread, it could be useful for you).
That switches the notification server (the one you log into) not the switchboard server (the one that handles the chat).
The NS tells the client which SB to use when a conversation is initiated. Therefore, switching NS will not really affect which SB you get, although you will probably get a new one. Which will happen if you close the restart the conversation anyway most likely.
RE: Messages not going through.... by dashrendar on 10-27-2004 at 02:43 PM

I see what you're saying. Thanks for clearing it up.

I think yesterday it failed on me again. A friend txt msged over the phone complaining why I left "abruptly" without leaving a msg, but I did leave a message, which didn't get through. See? This is destroying my life. :D

Nah, but seriously, is there anything else I can try?
I have the latest Zonealarm, Windows XP Pro SP2 (Firewall off), Norton Anti-Virus 2004 w/ Autoprotect. I also have an MR814v2 NetGear Router. I have the latest MSPlus! installed, but I think I had this problem even before.

Once again, no error messages or anything.

Thanks

RE: Messages not going through.... by Anubis on 10-27-2004 at 03:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dashrendar
I also have an MR814v2 NetGear Router
Are the UDP ports between 5004 and 65535 open on the router?
quote:
Originally posted by dashrendar
I have the latest MSPlus! installed, but I think I had this problem even before.
Long shot, but what plugins are installed on it?
And also your version of MSN Messenger client could be useful...but I think the problem most likely lies in the router (they've been known to cause this kind of thing)...also you could try contacting both M$ and\or NetGear to see if they have any knowledge of this, but most likely they'll blame each other for laziness :p
RE: Messages not going through.... by Millenium_edition on 10-27-2004 at 04:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Are the UDP ports between 5004 and 65535 open on the router?
why do you need to open those UDP ports? the chatting only takes outgoing TCP ports :-/
RE: Messages not going through.... by dashrendar on 10-27-2004 at 05:58 PM

Thanks for the reply...

Although I can configure ports, I can't specify UDP and/or TCP. Anyway, no, I don't have those open, do I need to? I mean I do have UPnP enabled both in XP and the Router--video and audio in MSN work fine.

My MSN Messenger version is: 6.2.0137

I'll try contacting them and I will report back with results.