Shoutbox

firefox help - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: firefox help (/showthread.php?tid=33729)

firefox help by saralk on 10-27-2004 at 06:39 PM

I need help with firefox, I just got it today, and there is one thing that really annoys me - all links open in a new window, how can i make them open in a new tab?

RE: firefox help by TGG on 10-27-2004 at 06:40 PM

right click the link, and choose open in new tab ;)

RE: firefox help by saralk on 10-27-2004 at 06:45 PM

thats too inefficient, i want it to open in a new tab whenever its meant to open in a new window.

RE: firefox help by toddy on 10-27-2004 at 06:47 PM

u can add a plugin called single window that will make links open in new tabs

https://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=50&vid=673

i would also suggest getting miniT, this allows u to drop and drag tabs

https://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=176&vid=797

RE: firefox help by Jeronimo on 10-27-2004 at 06:52 PM

To open links in a new tab, you can also use the middle button to open them.

To make all links open in new tabs rather than new windows, check out the extension Tabbed Browser Preferences. If you download the latest Firefox nightly, you will find this tabbed behaviour is already built in (y)

RE: RE: firefox help by .Roy on 10-27-2004 at 07:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
To open links in a new tab, you can also use the middle button to open them.

To make all links open in new tabs rather than new windows, check out the extension Tabbed Browser Preferences. If you download the latest Firefox nightly, you will find this tabbed behaviour is already built in (y)

thats the program i use to open links in a new tabs -_- i suggest you to use the Tabbed Browser Prefrences...
RE: RE: firefox help by auhsor on 10-28-2004 at 03:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
If you download the latest Firefox nightly, you will find this tabbed behaviour is already built in (y)

That is very good news, and something that should've been built in ages ago. When you first download it, you wonder what all the fuss is with tabs if you have to use them manually.
It's not until you get extensions like Tabbrowser Preferences thesn it becomes awesome.
RE: firefox help by gnownoskcid on 10-28-2004 at 03:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by auhsor
That is very good news, and something that should've been built in ages ago. When you first download it, you wonder what all the fuss is with tabs if you have to use them manually.
It's not until you get extensions like Tabbrowser Preferences thesn it becomes awesome.
that is not true, when you first run firefox the first time, it's already configurated for tab browsing, just middle click a link to open the link in a new tab
RE: firefox help by auhsor on 10-28-2004 at 04:07 AM

Yeah it is semi-configured. If I can remember correctly, if you click on a link that opens a new window, it does that, instead of a new tab as you would want it too. It's nice that they have fixed that as default.

RE: firefox help by Weyzza on 10-28-2004 at 04:18 AM

Do you guys know how to delete Cookies and Temporary Internet Files automatically every time I close the browser?

RE: RE: firefox help by .Roy on 10-28-2004 at 06:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by thekid
Do you guys know how to delete Cookies and Temporary Internet Files automatically every time I close the browser?

If you do that then you will never be able to save passwords... and stuff
RE: firefox help by Weyzza on 10-28-2004 at 08:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DureX
If you do that then you will never be able to save passwords... and stuff
Yes...

That is exactly the reason why I want always want to delete those things: security ;)
RE: firefox help by auhsor on 10-29-2004 at 02:57 AM

Try going to tools>options>privacy
There are options for passwords/cache/history etc there. Those might be able to help you do it automatically. If not, you can always press clear.

RE: firefox help by saralk on 10-29-2004 at 11:55 AM

it doesnt matter, i switched back to opera.

RE: firefox help by .Roy on 10-29-2004 at 01:05 PM

I suggest you give firefox another chance its a great program :-) I love it. dont give up on it yet

RE: firefox help by WDZ on 10-29-2004 at 01:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DureX
I suggest you give firefox another chance its a great program :-) I love it. dont give up on it yet
Hey, it's not like he went back to IE. Opera is a great browser too. :p
RE: firefox help by Eljay on 10-29-2004 at 01:12 PM

but opera offers nothing that firefox doesnt  and firefox looks a whole lot better and sleeker ;)

RE: firefox help by WDZ on 10-29-2004 at 02:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by leejeffery
but opera offers nothing that firefox doesnt
That's debatable, but since I don't know much about FireFox, I can't debate. :p

quote:
and firefox looks a whole lot better and sleeker ;)
Opera is very customizable, and has many skins available... it can look however you want it to look... :dodgy:
RE: firefox help by .Roy on 10-29-2004 at 04:13 PM

lol... try getting used to fire fox before you get rid of it!! its a GREAT Program.. Dont give it up

RE: firefox help by saralk on 10-29-2004 at 05:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by leejeffery
but opera offers nothing that firefox doesnt  and firefox looks a whole lot better and sleeker ;)

There were loads of little things that i found a lot better with opera, and that were nagging me with firefox.
For every thing i say, your probably gona tell me that there is a plugin available for it, but i just want a simple browser that does everything i want, without spending an hour to customise it.

Mouse guestures - That is the one thing that every browser must have, i got the plugin for it but still, rather have it intergrated

Side bar - I liked the side bar, as all my mail and RSS feeds.

Tabs at the top - the tabs in opera automatically resize depending on how long the title is

Auto Skinning - you dont have to restart to change skin

Everything is intergrated - your inbox comes as a tab, IRC comes as a tab

Better e-mail - i prefer operamail to thunderbird, and if you like gmail organisation then M2 is exactly the same, but came first!

I can double click on an open space in the tabs bar to open a new tab in opera

Edit: i dont want this to be a browser war, just saying why i went back to opera