Shoutbox

Graphical idea - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Graphical idea (/showthread.php?tid=33733)

Graphical idea by Xorzo on 10-27-2004 at 07:21 PM

Back in the day I used to use ICQ and ICQ Plus, together they made a superior user interface.  I wish MSN Plus had the same graphical setup options as ICQ Plus did.  Let me show you

RE: Graphical idea by .blade// on 10-27-2004 at 08:04 PM

I don't see anything other than a desktop screenshot ^o)

RE: Graphical idea by saralk on 10-27-2004 at 08:18 PM

if you mean those contacts on your desktop, you can do that with messenger plus, Right click on a contact and then go to Messenger Plus Extras, and then Add to desktop

RE: Graphical idea by Xorzo on 10-29-2004 at 07:50 PM

Naw... its horrible doing it like the floating contacts method.
When you are as popular as me, that means over 100 people on my desktop and no way to scroll.. BLEH!

Check this out, I made another example. high rez.

RE: RE: Graphical idea by Twan on 10-29-2004 at 07:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Xorzo
When you are as popular as me

:dodgy: no comment...

Anyway it's only for the persons you talk the most with.. it's of no use to put all your contact on you desktop :dodgy:
RE: RE: Graphical idea by .Roy on 10-29-2004 at 08:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Xorzo.
When you are as popular as me, that means over 100 people on my desktop and no way to scroll.. BLEH!

:dodgy: You arent very umm.. Polite... :dodgy:
RE: Graphical idea by matty on 10-29-2004 at 10:41 PM

I just can't get over how cocky he is. Look If you wan't something to show your contacts on your desktop use the Contact List and make it 80% transparent.

Plus! isn't ment to show your entire flipping contact list on your desktop, thats not the purpost of the feature. If you want your entire contact list on your desktop, go back to using ShitCQ, I mean ICQ.

The other thing I can't get over is that stupid address bar in the taskbar, oh lets try and be cool and type in http://msnplus/ seeing how the address is http://msgplus.net 8-)

Like I said earlier, if you want your entire contact list on your desktop then make it 80% transperent, thats the best you can do. Or better yet make a program and set the parent window of the Floating Contacts to your program and make them scroll.

RE: Graphical idea by Xorzo on 10-31-2004 at 06:01 AM

My point is that people like to be creative, and not just have a standard view of things.  That's why the car customizing business is so popular for example.  There are other people like me, like it or not, who want to customize their desktop appearance.  This is also why they integrated the abilitiy into the Windows operating systems.  However, it's limited, but open to such designers and programmers as the Messenger Plus team, people who have the skill to program at this level should let their creativity be expanded by their users.

Politeness is your perception.  Why do you try to impose your views on others?  I'm not saying don't stand up for what you believe, calling me rude is the way YOU interpreted me, and to me, the way you interpreted me was rude, so stop being rude ;)

RE: Graphical idea by Chrono on 10-31-2004 at 06:37 AM

quote:
When you are as popular as me
:rolleyes:

Anyway its true, if u hide the tabs and the ad banner, and make the window 80% transparent u can get a similar effect.

the idea isnt having the whole contact list on the desktop, thats instane :P

[Image: desktop.jpg]

(click to enlarge)

:o i like it! ill leave it like that lol
RE: Graphical idea by Xorzo on 11-04-2004 at 02:51 AM

You can bearly see the names on your contact list!  It does look okay though, but that doesn't mean the option to be able to customize your msn appearrance shouldn't be integrated.  There are so many benefits, such as attracting more users to the MSN client.

RE: Graphical idea by gnownoskcid on 11-04-2004 at 03:12 AM

quote:
However, it's limited, but open to such designers and programmers as the Messenger Plus team, people who have the skill to program at this level should let their creativity be expanded by their users.
just letting you know msgPlus is programmed by a one-man-army so don't expect too much ;)
RE: Graphical idea by Uchuujin-san on 11-08-2004 at 01:12 PM

Its a good idea though.. and something i've been tryin to work around for awhile now (though my lack of knowledge is too great lol). Like on Xorzo's Desktop I want to be able to show my contacts while seeing my BG.. I know this can be done to a similar effect with the opacity thing but that affects the whole MSN window.. including the contact names making them really hard to read. Is there anyway to either have a completely transparent background for the contact list? or somehow control the fading of the contact names when you change the transparency so that you can read it clearly?
I've tried editing a transparent .gif for the list but the white stills shows through :$

RE: Graphical idea by Concord Dawn on 11-08-2004 at 01:28 PM

I dunno, it looks like WAY too much work for Patchou. I mean, he has to first code the window to take ALL your contacts, their statuses, their names, their icons, and their groups, AND the window has to be "invisible" so it doesn't show up in your taskbar. Then he has to make it all transparent and scrollable. Then, he has to make it hide with Boss Protection Mode. Mind you, the Boss Mode part doesn't seem like it would be too hard, so correct me if I'm wrong.

RE: Graphical idea by FrozernFire on 11-08-2004 at 02:15 PM

if u have your entire contact list on ur desktop, you might as well either not have them on your desktop and only have your contact list or just totally do away with the contact list. the point of floating contacts is for VIPs, not your entire list. and patchou is already working hard enough, so pls, this is not neccessary

RE: Graphical idea by Xorzo on 11-19-2004 at 07:47 AM

Of course it is necessary FrozenFire.  To the totality of the project, it is necessary.  (Just as you are necessary to the totality of existence.)  To make the program the continually better, you must keep trying to add features that will satisfy users.  It seems like MSN will be popular for a while, so I assume Patchou will not abandon his project.  This entails that he will need ideas in order to keep his program fresh while making further success with time.  If we are to help Patchou in his success, his users must guide him in this way.  It seems wrong to defend Patchou like that, as you can see, your defence has not resulted in anything positive.  It's not like I'm rushing him, as you make it seem.

Xorzo.

RE: Graphical idea by lepr on 11-21-2004 at 12:57 PM

Sorry if i've got the wrong idea, but it sounds like what ur asking for is this:
You want the MSN contacts list to become a part of ur desktop so u can quickly see who's online and who isnt, but u want it to blend in with ur desktop to make it more appealling.

What I dont understand is this:
If you have your contact list on your desktop, then that's going to get covered up by other programs running. Therefore ur going to have to press your Show Desktop button to be able to see your contacts list - but thats pretty much the same as just clicking the MSN Messenger taskbar button that u have now 8-). Also I don't think Patchou needs to add fresh ideas so often anymore as Plus! seems to be doing alright for itself with many people using it, and i dont think all of them use it to its full potential either. Just my 2 pennys worth :D

RE: Graphical idea by user27089 on 11-21-2004 at 02:27 PM

I don't really see the point in the idea, just do what choli said, It would just be hard work for Patchou with not much point.