Shoutbox

Impossible problem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Impossible problem (/showthread.php?tid=33847)

Impossible problem by BlackStar on 10-30-2004 at 01:27 PM

I have had this problem now for a long time. It started when MS added a new Tab from a local bank in my country 2 months ago.
I have only on one particular computer so it is not accountrelated.
I have been in contact with MS onlinehelp but they didn't have a clue. I have been on several forums but at no avail.
I have uninstalled and installed several times.
I have cleaned out the registry and the local profile for MSN Messenger.
See the attached picture and you see the problem, questionmarks instead of tabs.
I have had the MSNFanatics Tabmanager before this started but not anymore.
Please, anyone here that have a clue to solve this?

[Image: messmess.jpg]

RE: Impossible problem by Sunshine on 10-30-2004 at 01:31 PM

I get that too every now and then...it dissapears by itself tho...its a serverproblem, nothing you can do about it.

RE: Impossible problem by FrozernFire on 10-30-2004 at 01:39 PM

question marks appear when the picture for the tab cant load or connection can't be made with the company associated with that particular tab i think. i always have this problem for a few seconds after i signed in before the tabs would load properly

RE: Impossible problem by BlackStar on 10-30-2004 at 01:39 PM

I don't think that it is a server problem because I only have it on one particular computer. If I log in on one of my other computers the problem is not there.

RE: Impossible problem by toddy on 10-30-2004 at 01:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BlackStar
I don't think that it is a server problem because I only have it on one particular computer. If I log in on one of my other computers the problem is not there.
they are more then one *msn server !!!!

so your other computer(s) will connect to a different *msn server

edit:
msn server
RE: Impossible problem by BlackStar on 10-30-2004 at 01:51 PM

>toddy
I didn't understand your answer...
I have 8 computers on the LAN using NAT. They all are identified with the same public IP. To make MS identify my computers they must use the MACadress in that case. I do have tested that by changing the MACadress on the affected computer. That operation made no difference.
Believe me, I have tried it so many times that at least once I should be connected to a different MS server.
Hope I understood you right.

RE: Impossible problem by toddy on 10-30-2004 at 01:58 PM

it has nowt to do with your lan set up !!!! it has to do with msn server your computer connects to.

if you can the msn server on the computer that it doesn't work on then it should fix your problem.

use this program to change msn server http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=273157

RE: Impossible problem by BlackStar on 10-30-2004 at 02:13 PM

Thanks, nice program. Tested several servers, no difference.
I have same server on all computers.
I have logged on now to all the computers, using the same server. Works okay on all computers except the one with the problem.
Still no difrence though. The problem is still there :-(

RE: Impossible problem by toddy on 10-30-2004 at 02:20 PM

:dodgy:

well u could try installing messenger again (not sure it will help tho, but probably worth a try)

RE: Impossible problem by BlackStar on 10-30-2004 at 02:30 PM

I have Un-installed, cleaned everything I can find and Re-installed at least 10 times. Did not help.
Right now I cleaned out the registry and imported values from another machine were the account is working. No difference, still questionmarks on the Tabs.
I also copied C:\Documents and Settings\<usename>\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\<account>. No difference.
There must be some hidden setting somewhere that I can't find.

EDIT: I have now signed in on the problemcomputer with a new MessengerAccount. That was the first time so all registrysettings and everything else were created for the first time.
The same problem is there.
So my conclusion is that the problem is Machinedependant and has nothing to do with the Account or which MS Server I am using.
The big question is, What on earth could cause this problem?
Please, I am tearing my hair off right now...

I have RUN: "control keymgr.dll" (without quotes) and deleted all accounts and re-logged on, no difference!

RE: Impossible problem by John on 11-01-2004 at 09:51 AM

why not just hide the tabs so you dont see them at all? :)

[Image: hiddentabs.jpg]

RE: Impossible problem by Derwan on 11-02-2004 at 04:37 AM

Are the images on the MSN server - or on the services that the tabs take you to?

The reason I ask is that if you have any ad blocking software installed, it may be blocking those particular images.  There may be a keyword or server included that's preventing the display of the tab images.

Just a thought.