Shoutbox

How to extend the lease on an IP address? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: How to extend the lease on an IP address? (/showthread.php?tid=33908)

How to extend the lease on an IP address? by .blade// on 10-31-2004 at 07:39 PM

Ok, I'm getting sick of having to disconnect my router, connect my modem directly to my PC, get a new IP then connect it back to my router and renew the lease on an IP address. I have a static IP connection and every week or two I have to do this or I can't get online. Any suggestions?

Telus High Speed 2.5 mbps down/ 712mbps up ( http://www.telus.net )
Windows XP SP2, no hardware/software firewall enabled
SMC Barricade Wireless router (though I'm using it corded) (I believe it's this one: http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?sec=Products&pg=Prod...ls&prod=258&site=c )

[Image: 7004VWBR.gif]

RE: How to extend the lease on an IP address? by lizard.boy on 10-31-2004 at 07:48 PM

hmm. go into the admin panel (192.168.2.1) and then go to the advance setup and press renew ip?

RE: How to extend the lease on an IP address? by .Roy on 10-31-2004 at 07:52 PM

where do you find out what your username and password is?

RE: How to extend the lease on an IP address? by .blade// on 10-31-2004 at 07:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DureX

For that SMC router your default username is blank and default password is rather blank or "admin"
(If it's neither of those, u'll bave to reset it...)

And lizard - I'll try that later.
RE: How to extend the lease on an IP address? by lizard.boy on 10-31-2004 at 08:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DureX

well with smc there is no username and the default password is in teh manual i think
RE: How to extend the lease on an IP address? by gnownoskcid on 10-31-2004 at 09:40 PM

OMG blade! I use the exactly the same router model (SMC barricade) with wireless support and ISP (telus DSL) too! I also use cord instead of wireless too (used to use wireless but it sux)! And I run into exactly the same problem too!

What i think is that SMC sux BIG TIME. My internet connection 'hangs' every couple of hours and i have to login to the router to 'untangle' the connection. When I connect the modem directly to a comp, it never have any problem.

If im rich, i would change my router to a "Linksys" or even "DLink" anything is better than SMC. O well, what you pay is what you get.

RE: How to extend the lease on an IP address? by .blade// on 10-31-2004 at 09:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gnownoskcid
i would change my router to a "Linksys" or even "DLink" anything is better than SMC. O well, what you pay is what you get.

Lynksys = (y)
D-Link = Sucks worse than SMC
SMC Router = $15 (CAD) on boxing day = why I bought it :banana: :refuck:
RE: How to extend the lease on an IP address? by user13774 on 10-31-2004 at 10:06 PM

$15 for a router... :| for f*ck sake :tongue:

I payed 100 euro's or something like that for my Draytek Vigor 2200E (3 years ago or something). But I got a very good quality router for that amount of money. Never had any problems ever, easy menu, it rox!

RE: How to extend the lease on an IP address? by gnownoskcid on 10-31-2004 at 10:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
SMC Router = $15 on boxing day = why I bought it :banana: :refuck:
hooooooooly shiiiiiiiit i bought mine 5 or 6 times the price of yours
RE: How to extend the lease on an IP address? by user13774 on 10-31-2004 at 10:27 PM

I payed 6 or 7 times that amount :)

RE: How to extend the lease on an IP address? by Concord Dawn on 11-01-2004 at 01:39 AM

Ummm....I got a Microsoft router and wireless card for $100. Not bad router, and always works. It's just my :dodgy: internet provider.

RE: How to extend the lease on an IP address? by wj on 11-01-2004 at 01:52 AM

Ok, Get a Linksys WRT54G router/wi-fi access point. It rocks!

RE: How to extend the lease on an IP address? by chris on 11-01-2004 at 06:55 AM

i got mine for free from microsoft it works as a router but its for the dsl i get        from goin through them but i think they changed over and the phone company is in charge of my internet now so they forgot i got this modem