Shoutbox

Messenger Discovery Question - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Messenger Discovery Question (/showthread.php?tid=33917)

Messenger Discovery Question by Jessica on 10-31-2004 at 09:04 PM

Hi, I downloaded Messenger Discovery. I also have Messenger Plus. I just noticed that my discovery told me my friend, Jonah had just signed off but yet her name didn't appear coming online/offline in Messenger Plus, does that mean I am blocked? I know some of my people on my list like to blocked everyone on their list sometimes cos they get busy and even if they are on busy, away. People still im them..

RE: Messenger Discovery Question by Choli on 10-31-2004 at 09:35 PM

Messenger Discovery is known to make Plus not work properly. If Plus isn't showning your contact coming online/offline then MsgDiscovery may be the problem.

RE: Messenger Discovery Question by effekt on 10-31-2004 at 09:44 PM

Choli that is a load of crap. MessengerDiscovery is designed to work with Messenger Plus! (if it is installed). There's no way in hell MessengerDiscovery wouldn't interfere with Plus! without being done on purpose, which would defy the point of making it work [better] with Plus!.

You probably get that alert because they have signed in offline or some other circumstance Plus! doesn't detect. Due to the completely different way Plus! and MessengerDiscovery work, MD detects contacts going 'offline' differently (and more accurately).

RE: Messenger Discovery Question by Jessica on 10-31-2004 at 09:49 PM

Yeah, MD doesnt associate with MP cos all my other contacts have signed on and off in both places, this is only the first time that MD told me my friend, Jonah had signed off but yet MP didn't pick it up.

RE: Messenger Discovery Question by gnownoskcid on 10-31-2004 at 09:49 PM

I have both msgPlus and msgDiscovery on at all time and i never have any problem

RE: Messenger Discovery Question by user35870 on 10-31-2004 at 09:56 PM

I had the same problem i just removed md.

RE: Messenger Discovery Question by Jessica on 10-31-2004 at 09:59 PM

Yeah, I'll think I'll remove it

RE: Messenger Discovery Question by Choli on 10-31-2004 at 10:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by effekt
Choli that is a load of crap.
Measure your words, please. If I've said that MD causes problems to Plus is because we've had lots of people who have had problems with Plus when they installed MD. That's something that I didn't invented. Feel free to search these forums and you'll find several threads about that. If MD works fine (and lets Plus work fine) inyour computer, good for you; but that isn't usual.
RE: Messenger Discovery Question by eckocomplex on 11-01-2004 at 04:13 AM

It works fine for people that understand what it is doing. Not one beta tester (out of 30) had troubles with Plus! but actually commented on how good Plus! compatibility was. I think the people having issues are seeing behaviour that they normally wouldn't see and call it weird. MessengerDiscovery just doesn't make up contacts going offline. Like I said, it would be under a circumstance that MessengerDiscovery detects and not Plus! due to Plus! running on the Messenger API and its' events. It's simply because the API events differs to stop 'bugs'.

Example;
Client receives a "FLN matt@effekt.com". Messenger API checks if that contact is online, if is then calls the API function UserChangeStatus (or what ever it's called). MessengerDiscovery sees the FLN and alerts anyway.

I can't put it any more simple than that.

Jessica, you would be making a mistake in uninstallling it because there is no real problem. In fact you wouldend up geting no information about what is REALLY going on ;).

RE: Messenger Discovery Question by Jessica on 11-01-2004 at 04:22 AM

I had no problems with Plus or Discovery when I had both. But today Discovery told me Jonah signed off when she didn't show up on my list and Plus didnt detact it. It did it to my friend Loz too. I don't really Discovery, I only had it to see who blocks me but that doesnt really work. When people block me, they block everyone on their list cos they dont wanna be bothered but they will talk to me soon. Sorry but I just dont want a add on thing when Jonah or Loz aren't really online. Rather stick with Plus.

RE: Messenger Discovery Question by RaceProUK on 11-01-2004 at 01:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jessica
I had no problems with Plus or Discovery when I had both. But today Discovery told me Jonah signed off when she didn't show up on my list and Plus didnt detact it. It did it to my friend Loz too. I don't really Discovery, I only had it to see who blocks me but that doesnt really work. When people block me, they block everyone on their list cos they dont wanna be bothered but they will talk to me soon. Sorry but I just dont want a add on thing when Jonah or Loz aren't really online. Rather stick with Plus.
If the text in the toast MD shows says 'User has gone offline', then there is a probelm.
However, and I believe this is the truth, if it shows 'User has signed in offline' then everything is working fine.