Shoutbox

{request} floating contacts icons - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: {request} floating contacts icons (/showthread.php?tid=33983)

{request} floating contacts icons by suleiman on 11-02-2004 at 10:54 AM

Hello, I've just left the live chat support and unfortunately no one was able to help me there. I've basically got a skinned version of MSN 6 that i have set with floating contacts. I wanted to know if there was a way for me to use the same icons for my floating contacts as i have for my contacts within the skinned version of the Messenger window. Is there a way to have msgplus automatically update itself to use the icons with whatever skinned version of MSN you are using? If so that would be a reallly great feature to implement. Looking forward to your support, and keep up the good work, this is amazing software!

RE: {request} floating contacts icons by MoRiA on 11-02-2004 at 11:29 AM

* MoRiA wonders why a request is in the bug reports board...

Apparently I wasn't in IRC at the time, but can't you do the same res-hacking that is necessary for skinning to msgplus as well? Of course there are certain legal issues here... *cough*

RE: {request} floating contacts icons by stuartbennett on 11-02-2004 at 11:30 AM

ok my friend. i have no doubt that patchou could design plus to do that if he wanted to. however i must point out to you that messenger skins in themselves are illegal addons to messenger, therefore it is unlikely that messenger plus are going to support skins in any way shape or form. i know cause when i asked for plus to include messenger skins as a feature they said no as they are illegal so i doubt they will add this feature for that very same reason. personally i like you idea and its something id like to see added but realistically i dont think its going to happen.

RE: {request} floating contacts icons by FrozernFire on 11-02-2004 at 01:32 PM

messenger skins only change the images and look of MSN, not msg plus. and since messenger skins are illegal and msg plus is copyrighted, i don't think this will happen. and i don't think skin makers and patchou will go friendly and work together

RE: {request} floating contacts icons by suleiman on 11-02-2004 at 07:05 PM

ok, well thanks for the input.

RE: {request} floating contacts icons by stuartbennett on 11-02-2004 at 07:45 PM

hey suleiman. i didnt know that skins were illegal either until i suggested such a feature on this forum and had my ideas knocked back. thats why i made sure to let you know as soon as possible and in the nicest possible way. i hope you find a solution to your problem.

RE: {request} floating contacts icons by suleiman on 11-02-2004 at 09:54 PM

hey stuartbennet, yeah i think that it's a bit rediculous that msn skins are deemed "illegal" as though using one is tantamount to theft or piracy. MSN is free software, and skinning it is a great way to enhance it's appeal. But in any case, i have reshacker and got the icons looking the way that i wanted in the end anyways. It looks much better on my desktop too :)

RE: {request} floating contacts icons by stuartbennett on 11-02-2004 at 10:00 PM

oh ok thats cool. whats reshacker?

RE: {request} floating contacts icons by Millenium_edition on 11-02-2004 at 10:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by suleiman
hey stuartbennet, yeah i think that it's a bit rediculous that msn skins are deemed "illegal" as though using one is tantamount to theft or piracy. MSN is free software, and skinning it is a great way to enhance it's appeal. But in any case, i have reshacker and got the icons looking the way that i wanted in the end anyways. It looks much better on my desktop too :)
it is modifying the EXE, and it's written in the EULA that you are not allowed to modify it.
quote:
Originally posted by stuartbennett
oh ok thats cool. whats reshacker?
resource hacker, it's the tool used to skin.
RE: {request} floating contacts icons by suleiman on 11-02-2004 at 10:22 PM

reshacker is software that allows you to change resources in an exe or a dll file. Swap out icons, bitmaps, etc. The only precaution i'll give you if you're interested in using it, is to not mess around with exe files too much, as that can cause them not to function.

Millenium Edition, while i am aware skinning the app involves modifying the exe, when msgplus removes the banner advertisements in msn, it is also modifying that same exe. Additionally, I don't think Microsoft was interested in prohibiting "skinning" of the app when it banned modification of the exe file, i'm almost certain their intention was to prevent malicious forms of MSN from circulating that could damage the end-user's PC, or hinder the MSN servers that host the service. The bottom line here, is that the future is in customizability, and MSN users should be able to have that option open to them as well.

RE: {request} floating contacts icons by Millenium_edition on 11-02-2004 at 10:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by suleiman
Millenium Edition, while i am aware skinning the app involves modifying the exe, when msgplus removes the banner advertisements in msn, it is also modifying that same exe.
plus doesn't touch the msnmsgr.exe file. it uses win32 api to modify it
quote:
Additionally, I don't think Microsoft was interested in prohibiting "skinning" of the app when it banned modification of the exe file, i'm almost certain their intention was to prevent malicious forms of MSN from circulating that could damage the end-user's PC, or hinder the MSN servers that host the service. The bottom line here, is that the future is in customizability, and MSN users should be able to have that option open to them as well.
true, but hey, it remains illegal.

even tough i agree with you, i can't deny the fact that it's illegal and that we should not discuss it here.
RE: {request} floating contacts icons by suleiman on 11-03-2004 at 12:32 AM

if plus doesn't modify the exe then i stand corrected. I'm glad we both see eye to eye on this skinng matter, and i understand if it can't be talked about on these forums so long as it is deemed "illegal."  On the same not however, i think there should be a petition or a tally somewhere on this site, of MSN users that are interested in getting MSN to expand the customizability and skinnability of messenger. If we keep our mouths shut about a request, i doubt it'll ever come to fruitition.

RE: {request} floating contacts icons by stuartbennett on 11-03-2004 at 08:28 AM

well i use msn premium and i have an option to send feedback directly to msn in order to suggest new features etc. ill certainly suggest to them about having skins we can but ask right? also msn 7 apparently has a feedback link in its help menu so once its officially released we will all be able to suggest future enhancements for the next messenger. besides i think they are moving in that direction as according to the list of new features for 7 theres a feature called drag and drop backgrounds.

Drag and Drop Backgrounds – See an image you like?  Drag it to your MSN Messenger window to set it as your background. So easy!.

to access this list of features go to http://g.msn.com/2meen_us/2_3561770_05 however please note at this time on 3 of the new features are mentioned as they want the other features to be a surprise.