Shoutbox

Desktop - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Desktop (/showthread.php?tid=34002)

Desktop by -LuKe- on 11-02-2004 at 06:45 PM

Anyone know a place for good good desktop themes? 8-| ive looked in the november dekstops and you have nice layouts and weird start menus and stuff how is it all done?:S

RE: Desktop by .blade// on 11-02-2004 at 06:48 PM

I use http://www.wincustomize.net - it has lots of good things (wallpaper, logon screens, themes, media player skins, etc.)

Note - plz don't use the yellow text, I had to highlight it to read it :dodgy:

RE: Desktop by user27089 on 11-02-2004 at 06:50 PM

get style xp www.tgtsoft.com and you get themes for that here www.themexp.org

RE: Desktop by -LuKe- on 11-02-2004 at 06:51 PM

sorry, i misclicked colour, i did change it so there :P and thank for site

RE: Desktop by Eljay on 11-02-2004 at 06:53 PM

there are a few programs available if you just want to theme your taskbar, start menu, application windows etc.
1. Style XP
2. WindowBlinds
Other common programs are things like Rainlendar, and ObjectDock and Desktop Sidebar

For these programs you need themes etc. to use with them
Themes can be found at the following websites (amongst others)
1. ThemeXP.org
2.WinCustomize

Hope this helps ;)

RE: Desktop by Pr0xY on 11-02-2004 at 07:39 PM

Any good Theme sites for someone using Windows 2000?

RE: Desktop by Pr0xY on 11-07-2004 at 07:34 AM

Well I'll take that as a no.  Well I'll bug people about it one more time, to refresh their memory.  If anyone knows where I can get Windows 2000 themes and other desktop editors, please post it.  I tried googling it but nothing came it. 

RE: Desktop by gnownoskcid on 11-07-2004 at 07:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pr0xy
Well I'll take that as a no.  Well I'll bug people about it one more time, to refresh their memory.  If anyone knows where I can get Windows 2000 themes and other desktop editors, please post it.  I tried googling it but nothing came it.
what's the difference between modding win2000 and winXP, just use the sites leejeffery suggested, they work with all windows
RE: Desktop by user27089 on 11-07-2004 at 12:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gnownoskcid
quote:
Originally posted by pr0xy
what's the difference between modding win2000 and winXP, just use the sites leejeffery suggested, they work with all windows
Well no actually, they won't, because both of the style programs are designed for Windows XP, the desktops will work, but none of the others will..

RE: Desktop by crank on 11-07-2004 at 12:39 PM

XP is easier 2 change sinci it works with themes. StyleXP and others just use that 2 enable custom themes. 2000 however doesn't work that wy so there aren't any themes available for it (well maybe 1 or 2)

RE: Desktop by Eljay on 11-07-2004 at 12:42 PM

actually window blinds is for windows 2000 as well...

RE: Desktop by ShawnZ on 11-07-2004 at 03:15 PM

i suggest using the uxtheme.dll patch over stylexp. in windows xp there is themes, and stylexp just lets u use non microsoft themes instead of the two that come with windows. uxtheme.dll does the same thing, but it dosent need to be opened and it works all the time, you just need to patch a little system dll

RE: Desktop by gnownoskcid on 11-07-2004 at 08:26 PM

i didn't know that other mods don't work for win2000. cuz I use windowBlinds and it works for all window OS

RE: Desktop by lopardo on 11-07-2004 at 08:57 PM

OK, let's clear up some confusion...

Windows XP is the only one that natively supports "visual styles", older Windows versions don't, they just support "basic themes" which only change colors and fonts.

In order to use non-Microsoft visual styles (unsigned) in Windows XP you have to either patch a .dll file (uxtheme.dll) or use StyleXP.

However, you can use WindowBlinds in any Windows version to achieve similar effects, but this uses more system resources and its own format of themes.

RE: Desktop by ShawnZ on 11-07-2004 at 09:01 PM

what about 2003:( or longhorn

RE: Desktop by lopardo on 11-07-2004 at 09:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shawnz
what about 2003:( or longhorn

Windows 2003 is for servers... do you need themes in a server?

Longhorn is still an alpha/beta and I don't have it, so I don't know.
RE: Desktop by ShawnZ on 11-07-2004 at 09:12 PM

im just saying those oses also have native visual style support

edit:i guess this post is a little spamy but its still contribiuting to the conversation