Shoutbox

anyway to block ppl from seeing a msg when u opened their window? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: anyway to block ppl from seeing a msg when u opened their window? (/showthread.php?tid=34017)

anyway to block ppl from seeing a msg when u opened their window? by dahit15 on 11-03-2004 at 02:06 AM

hmm ok, now that stuffplug lets u see when someone opens a conversation with u, is there a way to block someone with this feature from seeing u when u open a conversation with them?

RE: anyway to block ppl from seeing a msg when u opened their window? by gnownoskcid on 11-03-2004 at 03:23 AM

no, because that's how the protocol work
when you open a conversation, you ask for info about the contact from msn's server, then packets are sent to the other contact from the server

but maybe there's a way to mod msn so that you don't request new info from the server when opening a conversation but read the info from a 'cache'?

RE: anyway to block ppl from seeing a msg when u opened their window? by FrozernFire on 11-03-2004 at 06:31 AM

but modding is playing around with the protocol which patchou wouldn't do. so it's up to plugin makers but still i don't think that it is possible

RE: anyway to block ppl from seeing a msg when u opened their window? by Alpha Binary on 11-04-2004 at 12:24 PM

yes it's possible to interrupt the packet flow so that the 'initiate convo' signal is not sent until the user send his first message.
you'd better recommend this feature to the messengerdiscovery guys as it won't be hard for them to implement it.

RE: anyway to block ppl from seeing a msg when u opened their window? by evr124 on 11-05-2004 at 07:30 AM

ya tis hv been a problem for me.. i keep gettin conv notifer popin up like mad everytime i sign in

RE: anyway to block ppl from seeing a msg when u opened their window? by RaceProUK on 11-05-2004 at 10:42 AM

I would be careful about blocking the initial notification. Knowing a bit about the protocol, if you have the window open for two minutes, the switchboard won't let you chat when you send the first message. It is still possible to implement this feature: you've just got to be careful about it (delay the XFR to the NS until a message is sent). Also, you'll need to avoid Messenger thinking the connection has dropped.