Shoutbox

Service Pack 2, is it worth it? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Service Pack 2, is it worth it? (/showthread.php?tid=34065)

Service Pack 2, is it worth it? by DJeX on 11-04-2004 at 01:53 AM

I've seen and heard alot of bad news about the SP2 for XP. So I come to conclude that SP2 is crap. Who agrees?

RE: Service Pack 2, is it worth it? by .blade// on 11-04-2004 at 02:07 AM

Service pack 2 is basically  like "There's my rusty old 1982 Horizon with a 98 horsepower engine and it gets 15 mpg....I think I'll give it a spoiler! :D"

IMHO it's tottally useless,a nd I can't stand the fucking "You have no firewall enabled" & "An anti-virus was detected but was unable to communicate with WSC" shit :dodgy:

RE: Service Pack 2, is it worth it? by Hank on 11-04-2004 at 03:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
So I come to conclude that SP2 is crap. Who agrees?

agree, its Crapp, i'd use the SP2 CD for a Frisby :-)

RE: Service Pack 2, is it worth it? by bach_m on 11-04-2004 at 03:06 AM

if u want security, buy a Mac :P

if u wnat games, buy an XBox.

if u wnat a headache, buy a PC

RE: Service Pack 2, is it worth it? by Concord Dawn on 11-04-2004 at 03:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
if u want security, buy a Mac :P

if u wnat games, buy an XBox.

if u wnat a headache, buy a PC

If you want to be able to do anything other than watch your computer turn on, buy a PC. Games, and most other programs are designed specifically for Windows. I know that quite a few programs I use are designed for Windows only. Therefore, it is more advantageous to have at least one Windows system in your house. When I get a better computer, I'm going to dual-boot it with Linux. :D

Linux > *
RE: Service Pack 2, is it worth it? by Hank on 11-04-2004 at 03:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bach_m
if u want security, buy a Mac

Security in a Mac? *cough Cough*

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
If you want to be able to do anything other than watch your computer turn on, buy a PC. Games, and most other programs are designed specifically for Windows. I know that quite a few programs I use are designed for Windows only. Therefore, it is more advantageous to have at least one Windows system in your house. When I get a better computer, I'm going to dual-boot it with Linux

why not learn now? whats stopping you?
RE: Service Pack 2, is it worth it? by gnownoskcid on 11-04-2004 at 03:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Demandred
quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
If you want to be able to do anything other than watch your computer turn on, buy a PC. Games, and most other programs are designed specifically for Windows. I know that quite a few programs I use are designed for Windows only. Therefore, it is more advantageous to have at least one Windows system in your house. When I get a better computer, I'm going to dual-boot it with Linux

why not learn now? whats stopping you?

not "get better at computer"
RE: Service Pack 2, is it worth it? by k776 on 11-04-2004 at 03:37 AM

actually, its quite good in the respect that it offers IE a plugin manager and built in pop-up blocker, but the rest of the stuff isn't really that great.

The security centre is basicly a place to monitor already installed software. Who needs it. I only used it once and that was to turn auto updates on.

Anyway, if you ask me, it is worth it if you are worried about security. For eg: Neowin mentioned 2 bugs in windows that affected people without SP2. So I think its a lot more stable.

However, it does add to the load time on my computer which is a shame :(

Rating: 6/10 (mainly for IE's new features).

If you do upgrade, make a restore point first. And make sure you dont have any registry checkers (that ask you for permission to add stuff to the reg) such as TeaTimer.exe in SpybotS&D.

And after its installed, its good to give it a scan disk and defrag too.

RE: Service Pack 2, is it worth it? by gnownoskcid on 11-04-2004 at 03:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by k776
Rating: 6/10 (mainly for IE's new features).
since i don't use IE and i use firefox. i give 0/10
RE: Service Pack 2, is it worth it? by Pr0xY on 11-04-2004 at 05:07 AM

I would strongly advise NOT getting it.  Its nothing but a waste of money and time. 

RE: Service Pack 2, is it worth it? by ddunk on 11-04-2004 at 05:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pr0xy
I would strongly advise NOT getting it.  Its nothing but a waste of money and time.

It's free :undecided:

SP2 works perfectly fine for me, I've never had a problem for it except that I had to patch uxtheme.dll
RE: Service Pack 2, is it worth it? by WDZ on 11-04-2004 at 05:27 AM

SP2 works perfectly for me too... the only time "wasted" was while I was downloading and installing it. And as Ddunk said, it's free... how could it be a waste of money? :S

I'm surprised that so many people here don't like it, because my experience with it has been a good one.

RE: RE: Service Pack 2, is it worth it? by .Roy on 11-04-2004 at 06:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
SP2 works perfectly for me too... the only time "wasted" was while I was downloading and installing it. And as Ddunk said, it's free... how could it be a waste of money? :S

Never heard of the saying time is money?? -_- Well i never have any problems using it.. I dont even know what it does or anything like that.. But i dont really carfe i just download it because it says more security and thats good -_- Just download it while going to the bathroom or doing homework so you dont waste time and you dont waste money.. Lol Time is money :dodgy: