Shoutbox

Slow transfers on msn - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Slow transfers on msn (/showthread.php?tid=34068)

Slow transfers on msn by vincerooney on 11-04-2004 at 03:45 AM

Its getting quite annoying transferring things to people on msn as its painfully slow. i have 750k broadband so things should be quick but whenever i transfer i get the 'slow transfer rate' message at the top of the conversation box.

If i turn the xp firewall off and close the conversation box down it works at a good speed but this is painfully annoying process of turning on and off the firewall.

If i forget to turn the firewall back on i then get a bloody virus even though i have an additional firewall too.

Any ideas on how to get fast transfers with the xp firewall still turned on?

RE: Slow transfers on msn by frankiedaman on 11-04-2004 at 05:10 PM

Find out the ports that File Transfer uses and open them in the firewall. If you have SP2, you can do this under the "Exceptions" tab.

I believe the ports File Transfer uses are Ports 6891-6900, but im not 100% sure.

RE: Slow transfers on msn by RaceProUK on 11-05-2004 at 02:19 AM

The XP firewall is UPnP-compatible, so you don't need to open the ports in it. Try opening them in your other firewall instead.

RE: Slow transfers on msn by ABC123 on 11-05-2004 at 03:47 AM

MSN has always had slow transfer compared to other IM programs like AIM. That's the only thing I dislike about MSN, I use AIM for nothing but file transfers.

RE: Slow transfers on msn by vincerooney on 11-11-2004 at 02:46 PM

The only other firewall i have is the kerio firewall, this makes no difference to the speed then i disable it. it seems only to be the xp firewall that does anything or affect the transfer rate. which is very peculiar.