Shoutbox

Plus on the news... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Plus on the news... (/showthread.php?tid=34082)

Plus on the news... by .blade// on 11-04-2004 at 02:49 PM

Well I watched a few minutes of the news yesterday and noticed there was an upcomming story about how to keep your PC hacker/spyware/trojan free. I decided to watch it becz those n00b segments are usually prety funny, but the comedy stopped when they mentioned a list of things to stay away from.

"...Stay away from Peer to Peer programs such as KaZaA, as a lot of files, along with the program itself, contain ad/spyware or viruses, and stay away from 'enhancing' programs such as Smiley Central, Outlook toolbars and Messenger Plus! as these also contain ad/spyware..." :-/

(Email already sent to them...)

RE: Plus on the news... by user27089 on 11-04-2004 at 05:37 PM

Thats really bad to hear that it was on National Television, but surely they don't believe that themselves, there must be someone there that isn't a n00b at all and knows about Plus! It really annoys me when such a popular extension gets put down like this, they ridicule Patchou, not only the Extension when they say this.

RE: Plus on the news... by Concord Dawn on 11-04-2004 at 05:44 PM

O god.......here we go again. I really HATE people that do this. I honestly think that someone should put a full Lop.com package in the next MP! version and send it to some people like this. Then they'll know that Patchou cleans out the sponsor. Well, I know it's not going to happen, but it would be interesting to watch. :refuck:

RE: Plus on the news... by riahc4 on 11-04-2004 at 05:45 PM

that is really sad....

What is the name of the station? I am gonna write a letter myself to them because its not right what they just did.

RE: Plus on the news... by .blade// on 11-04-2004 at 06:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
that is really sad....

What is the name of the station? I am gonna write a letter myself to them because its not right what they just did.

Well it was actually a local station BUT they didn't do the story, they re-aired a story from an american station...I believe an NBC affiliate...
RE: Plus on the news... by Stigmata on 11-04-2004 at 06:45 PM

Ummm guys what do you think you will solve by bitching and writing letters to the station ???

As long as the toolbar is there, there will be people saying it has formatted my harddrive, or uninstalled internet explorer :D

Just live with it....

You didnt make it, try not to get so affended :S

RE: Plus on the news... by M73A on 11-04-2004 at 07:14 PM

wtf, wat faggots. dont get programs bout fings tellin ppl not to buy pepsi or watever... swear dere must b a law or sumat bout tellin ppl, not to buy another product or sumat like that

RE: Plus on the news... by wj on 11-04-2004 at 07:14 PM

The idea behind writing to the stations is to make sure they have there fucking facts stright before the air storys like this.

Also it makes sure they know that they were wrong.

RE: Plus on the news... by MSN Buddy on 11-04-2004 at 07:17 PM

that is trully sad:(....

shame on that station for saying such a thing!:@

RE: Plus on the news... by user27089 on 11-04-2004 at 07:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MSN Buddy

To be honest, its not really their own faults, its the complaints that they've had, them themselves can't really be blamed.
RE: Plus on the news... by MSN Buddy on 11-04-2004 at 07:24 PM

well its there falt to make ppl think that messenger plus is rubbish

RE: Plus on the news... by user27089 on 11-04-2004 at 07:29 PM

quote:
well its there falt to make ppl think that messenger plus is rubbish

Can u please not post short posts like this, its just spam, and its wrong on these forums, thanks ;).

So is it really their fault for following imformation, so if they get something wrong, its their faults. 
RE: Plus on the news... by MSN Buddy on 11-04-2004 at 07:33 PM

well the news are reponsible for wat they say and thats just making a type of messenger look silly. im not saying messenger plus! is silly:). i use it everyday:)

RE: Plus on the news... by Kryptonate on 11-04-2004 at 07:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
quote:

To be honest, its not really their own faults, its the complaints that they've had, them themselves can't really be blamed.

they should first check the sponsorprogram themselves to see if the complaints are correct.
RE: Plus on the news... by saralk on 11-04-2004 at 07:46 PM

cant they be sued for libel?

RE: Plus on the news... by The_Thief on 11-04-2004 at 07:51 PM

Mabye they know something that patcho isn't telling us?

RE: RE: Plus on the news... by MSN Buddy on 11-04-2004 at 07:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
cant they be sued for libel?

well yer they should be for putting messenger plus! out of buiness:P
RE: Plus on the news... by The One on 11-04-2004 at 07:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
quote:
quote:

they should first check the sponsorprogram themselves to see if the complaints are correct.
Exactly.  They REALLY shouldn't just be taking what others say and not testing it themselves, that just plain slack, and it shows how the station (whatever it is) can't be bothered to research their *facts* properly.
RE: Plus on the news... by Anubis on 11-04-2004 at 08:39 PM

quote:
I think from what you've just said they can be blamed, they're taking the opinion of people who really don't have a clue on the situation and backing up their views...they should have researched into this (I'd like to have thought the BBC or ITV in our case would have)
however Messenger Plus does contain adware, so their facts are right, so no lawsuits can be done :p...but the adware is optional, they really should have taken the time to say that, but those companies don't really care...

quote:
Originally posted by serpico
Mabye they know something that patcho isn't telling us?
It's not that easy to hide adware and spyware scripts without someone finding out...but even if it was hidden someone would have found it before some TV company did...
RE: Plus on the news... by jren207 on 11-04-2004 at 08:47 PM

I guess those blind idiots think the sponsor agreement and the "I refuse to give my support, install messenger Plus! without the sponsor" labeled radio button are invisible.... they must think that 8-), If they bothered to use their eyes, they'd notice them.

RE: Plus on the news... by .Roy on 11-04-2004 at 09:04 PM

-_- This has always been a problem.. Everyday Messenger Plus! Is being written about in the internet or somewhere else.. It can not be helped. They ONLY WAY is to stop with the sponsor program. But that is stupid.. -_- Because there is no money that way.. So i just suggest that you ignore this because this will always be a problem no matter what.!! And they are stupid idiots and bastards for being too lazy to read about messsenger plus sponsor..

I BET they actually type spyware in google and looked at some articles that had programs with spyware.. those SoBS

RE: Plus on the news... by DJeX on 11-04-2004 at 10:08 PM

Dam those bastards! If they can't understand to read the agrement when installing Plus they have no right to write about it or even post it on TV!

What a bunch of morons!

RE: Plus on the news... by Patchou on 11-04-2004 at 10:12 PM

This is truly sad news.... of course; I totally support any letter you could send to the station about this. I just wish reporters actually checked things before they announce it on TV... but well, everything in the world is working the same way.

RE: Plus on the news... by Dane on 11-04-2004 at 10:15 PM

Hmm...Damn TV station.  Even they dont read, clearly.  Patchou should sue :P.

RE: Plus on the news... by Pr0xY on 11-04-2004 at 11:29 PM

Grr... I think there is a law against something like this.  If a news station slanders something, and it causes a lose of something, then you have a right to sue them.  And since the story probably will have an effect on people downloading Plus!, it will cut back on the people who do install the sponsor program, Patchou will lose money. 

Well dont quote me on that but I am in Law class right now and I think you'd have a really good case if you wanted to pursue taking them to court. 

RE: Plus on the news... by DJeX on 11-04-2004 at 11:32 PM

Woooo court, court, court ! lol I think that would just make it worse.

RE: Plus on the news... by FrozernFire on 11-05-2004 at 03:52 AM

even less people will download plus if it goes to court. people will think that this program has some stuff in it that it could be taken to court or something, though the real story is that that tv station is slandering plus

RE: Plus on the news... by Pr0xY on 11-06-2004 at 06:22 AM

Well if it was in court and it was that popular that people would know about it, they'd probably also know that we were taking THEM to court, and that we were suing THEM

RE: Plus on the news... by ceramic_spider on 11-06-2004 at 05:23 PM

can't you guys just say that the publicity of being on the air was good enought and stop arguing about going to court?

RE: Plus on the news... by Millenium_edition on 11-06-2004 at 06:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ceramic_spider
can't you guys just say that the publicity of being on the air was good enought and stop arguing about going to court?
wow. one phrase that kills the thead.

now, let's send mails and stop complaining about it :P
RE: Plus on the news... by crank on 11-07-2004 at 02:54 PM

Ok now stop complainging and start mailing.
Hey maybe we should send them some really fucked up-almost uremovable spyware :p

RE: Plus on the news... by ShawnZ on 11-07-2004 at 03:04 PM

if patchou sues, he would maby make enough money to last untill mp4 and he could take out the sponser program!

RE: Plus on the news... by Millenium_edition on 11-07-2004 at 03:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shawnz
if patchou sues, he would maby make enough money to last untill mp4 and he could take out the sponser program!
are you serious? ^o) cause if you are...

:lol:
RE: Plus on the news... by ShawnZ on 11-07-2004 at 03:27 PM

its so crazy it just might work! :spam:

RE: Plus on the news... by crank on 11-07-2004 at 04:21 PM

[Image: die_thread_die.jpg]

Really, people keep posting in it instead of mailing to that tv station.

RE: Plus on the news... by CookieRevised on 11-08-2004 at 01:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
BUT they didn't do the story
Then what is the fuzz about?

btw, sueing? Sueing for something like this only works in TV-series, in the real world all they have to do is stating after the docu (if it is aired) that they were wrong on that point. That's called "right for answer".