Shoutbox

Why does MSN Messenger suck for File Transfers ? ? ? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Why does MSN Messenger suck for File Transfers ? ? ? (/showthread.php?tid=34155)

Why does MSN Messenger suck for File Transfers ? ? ? by Slack2116 on 11-06-2004 at 02:56 AM

its slower then anything.  no matter what connection speeds you or the other person have.  are they ever gonna fix this?

thats the only thing better on AIM.

RE: Why does MSN Messenger suck for File Transfers ? ? ? by gnownoskcid on 11-06-2004 at 03:09 AM

the only reason it's slow is because one of the person in the file transfer is behind a firewall (router/NAT). This disallows a direct connection between the computers and the file must be redirected to the msn's server and download from there. MSN's server has a upload/download speed limit. This is not a problem if you are not behind a firewall and have a direct connection. To enable a direct connection behind a firewall, you need to open the port needed for file transfer but im not sure which port that is.

This should belong to the MSN forum

RE: Why does MSN Messenger suck for File Transfers ? ? ? by Slack2116 on 11-06-2004 at 03:12 AM

sorry bout that.  a MOD can move it then.  someone should tell me what port to open and how.
i have Norton Personal Firewall 2003.

how come i dont have problems like this with AIM?

RE: RE: Why does MSN Messenger suck for File Transfers ? ? ? by Hank on 11-06-2004 at 04:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Slack2116
sorry bout that.  a MOD can move it then.  someone should tell me what port to open and how.
i have Norton Personal Firewall 2003.

how come i dont have problems like this with AIM?

AIM File Transfers use a Different Method/Port than MSN Transfers do

RE: Why does MSN Messenger suck for File Transfers ? ? ? by RaceProUK on 11-06-2004 at 11:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Slack2116
someone should tell me what port to open and how.
I believe the FT ports are in the 6000 range somewhere. A search of the forum should retrieve the correct numbers. As for how, I'm not familiar with that firewall, but you should be familiar with it's user manual ;)
RE: Why does MSN Messenger suck for File Transfers ? ? ? by saralk on 11-06-2004 at 12:18 PM

IIRC its Ports 6891-6900

RE: Why does MSN Messenger suck for File Transfers ? ? ? by Jeronimo on 11-06-2004 at 02:53 PM

Although not a direct solution to your problem, if you want to improve transfers over MSN, checkout the superb plugin, File Transfer Plus by RicarDog. While both sides will need the plugin, its features far outstrip those of MSN. You can pause, resume, auto-accept and use on-the-fly compression with this plugin.

Its well worth a look (y)

RE: Why does MSN Messenger suck for File Transfers ? ? ? by CookieRevised on 11-06-2004 at 03:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
IIRC its Ports 6891-6900

MSN Messenger file transfer can actually use the 1863 TCP server connection (the same that the normal chat is using) to send files (though it will be very slow).

File Transfer*: 6891-6900 TCP (this port range is not valid for MSN Messenger 6 clients sending/receiving to other MSN Messenger 6 clients)

* denotes features which can use Universal Plug and Play (UPnP), UPnP file transfer only available in Windows Messenger 5, MSN Messenger 5 and MSN Messenger 6
RE: RE: Why does MSN Messenger suck for File Transfers ? ? ? by ZrednaZ on 11-09-2004 at 11:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jeronimo
Although not a direct solution to your problem, if you want to improve transfers over MSN, checkout the superb plugin, File Transfer Plus by RicarDog. While both sides will need the plugin, its features far outstrip those of MSN. You can pause, resume, auto-accept and use on-the-fly compression with this plugin.

Its well worth a look (y)

Definitely worth a try. :O
The newest beta even features an option to automatically 'catch' files that are dragged info the conversation, hence freeing you from having to type /xsendfile... It then automatically detects whether or not the recipient has F.T.P.. It they don't, it will go ahead and send the file via MSN Messenger's standard system instead. :)
RE: Why does MSN Messenger suck for File Transfers ? ? ? by master811 on 11-19-2004 at 01:54 AM

Believe me, MSN isn't that bad, I transferred a 3.5Gb file over it last wknd, mind you it was on a 100Mbps network, but still I think that's quite impressive for MSN.

RE: Why does MSN Messenger suck for File Transfers ? ? ? by Slack2116 on 11-19-2004 at 06:51 AM

well that would never happen with me.  maybe ill try that pluin out.

RE: Why does MSN Messenger suck for File Transfers ? ? ? by s_spiff on 11-19-2004 at 01:29 PM

surpringly.. I didn't find da firewall theory quite true.... no offence.. but then its myobservation, In india... most ppl do not bother to put up firewalls.. as we don hav dat much problems with ads. nd all...so when i unintalled my firewall... nd i tried doin this transfer.. it was equally slow as when i had da sp2 firewall nd another firewall up.... so I doubt da firewall make s a diff... but I may be wrong!