Shoutbox

Sponsor Program - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Sponsor Program (/showthread.php?tid=34171)

Sponsor Program by ShawnZ on 11-06-2004 at 03:41 PM

I know patchou said he wont change the sponser window anymore, but i had a small idea while i was surfing the forums that might make the window a little easier to understand.
[Image: attachment.php?pid=333419]
just change the radio buttons with a simple checkbox

RE: Sponsor Program by CookieRevised on 11-06-2004 at 03:46 PM

Patchou has already said he wont change anything else. Also I don't see why that will make things clear...

RE: Sponsor Program by MoRiA on 11-06-2004 at 03:46 PM

WHY THE BITMAP??
WHY THE BITMAP?? :'(

*cough* Anyway...
We had a checkbox AGES ago, like for version 2.x or whatever, and it was exchanged for the radio buttons for some reason.

Personally I don't see what was wrong with the way it was before; if people are too ignorant to actually read the installer then it's their own fault. Many programs install worse "sponsors" and don't give you a choice (KaZaA springs to mind, as does RealOne Player).

RE: Sponsor Program by Patchou on 11-06-2004 at 10:55 PM

A checkbox is worse for many users as they would see only one option to check; and thats why it was changed so quickly last year :).

RE: Sponsor Program by RaceProUK on 11-06-2004 at 11:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
A checkbox is worse for many users as they would see only one option to check; and thats why it was changed so quickly last year :).
Also, with the radio buttons, one HAS to be clicked to continue. It's not possible to make it any plainer without some sort of telepathy.
RE: Sponsor Program by k776 on 11-07-2004 at 12:17 AM

Well, seeing as many are still missing the picture of the toolbar, Patchou, consider forgetting what you said and move the toolbar between the radio buttons and the "Install" button.

This way, they have doiuble the chancde of seeing it, one when they click the radio button, and one when they click the install button.

You might also consider a timer on the install button:
Install (5), Install (4), Install (3), Install (2), Install (1), Install

RE: Sponsor Program by Moo on 11-07-2004 at 01:12 AM

The default option should be "I refuse".

RE: Sponsor Program by Tochjo on 11-07-2004 at 09:34 AM

I think you're approaching this from the wrong side, k776 and Guillaume. We're not trying to avoid people installing the sponsor. It was put there for a reason - for Patchou to make money, and not just to avoid.

Patchou has already put a great deal of time and effort in making the window more clear, and the way it is now is very good. You will always have people installing the sponsor, and then they come here, where we will tell them how to uninstall it.

RE: Sponsor Program by gnownoskcid on 11-07-2004 at 10:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Tochjo
I think you're approaching this from the wrong side, k776 and Guillaume. We're not trying to avoid people installing the sponsor. It was put there for a reason - for Patchou to make money, and not just to avoid.

Patchou has already put a great deal of time and effort in making the window more clear, and the way it is now is very good. You will always have people installing the sponsor, and then they come here, where we will tell them how to uninstall it.
it doesn't sound quite right. Since we know that VERY FEW people love having a computer overloaded with adware, we can assume that if people pay attention to the agreement, they would choose "I refuse". We do know that many people ignore the agreement and accept the sponsor. Then they come here and everywhere else to complain. However, we cannot make the sponsor any clearer because msgPlus rely on people who do not read the agreement. Thus, it really sounds immoral. Only if there is another way to satisfy both users and creator.

Tell me if you think my logic is wrong.
RE: Sponsor Program by user27089 on 11-07-2004 at 11:57 AM

I can't really see how this will give any advantage to Plus! Users at all, if they read what the installer says then they won't click ok, but if they don't read it and click it, its their own faults, not Patchou's, its Patchou's choice, and He won't benefit at all. If anything, I'd say that people would still think that they'd have to press it.

quote:
Originally posted by gnownoskcid

it doesn't sound quite right. Since we know that VERY FEW people love having a computer overloaded with adware, we can assume that if people pay attention to the agreement, they would choose "I refuse". We do know that many people ignore the agreement and accept the sponsor. Then they come here and everywhere else to complain. However, we cannot make the sponsor any clearer because msgPlus rely on people who do not read the agreement. Thus, it really sounds immoral. Only if there is another way to satisfy both users and creator.

Tell me if you think my logic is wrong.

No-one loves having ad-ware on there computer at all, but its their fault for not being smart in the first place, this is optional, and yes, they should choose what they press themselves, and should read what it says. Its their fault they ignore any simple instructions. Patchou doesn't rely on the People that don't understand it, a group of people may accept that they install it so that plus! can carry on, and that they don't mind having adware on their pc's.

RE: Sponsor Program by ShawnZ on 11-07-2004 at 02:22 PM

Most people get so tired from all the garbage agreements they have to accept ppl might just think its the agreement for messenger plus! without looking. even with the toolbar and the C2Media text, ppl still see the licence-agreement looking textbox

RE: Sponsor Program by RaceProUK on 11-07-2004 at 04:26 PM

I don't read EULAs or TnCs usually (far too long most of them), but I always read installation screens. The issue here is really that people often don't read installation screens, and get RCN (Rapid Clicking of 'Next') syndrome. Then, when they see the sponsor, they get HUAS (Hasty Use of Anti-Spyware) syndrome, then they come on here and blow their top over our forum.
When they are encouraged to read stuff, they then suffer CBA  (Couldn't Be Arsed) syndrome, and at the end of day, it's their fault, not Patchou's.

RE: Sponsor Program by k776 on 11-07-2004 at 06:55 PM

Tochjo, dont have to change the window then. To post, member have to register. Send in the email that gets sent out for activation, something like this:

Sponsor Program
Plus! come with an optional sponsor program. If you have registered to the forum because your computer has been infected with spyware, please follow this thread [adware removal thread link here] and the next time you install, pay close attention to the install screens.

That should get rid of some arguements :D

RE: Sponsor Program by gnownoskcid on 11-07-2004 at 08:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Patchou doesn't rely on the People that don't understand it, a group of people may accept that they install it so that plus! can carry on, and that they don't mind having adware on their pc's.
I think you are wrong. If msgPlus can survive without people who don't read the agreement, we can say that msgPlus can survive if EVERYONE understand the agreement. If everyone understand the agreement, it doesn't matter if we use this in the installation:
Do you want to install the sponsor to support msgPlus?
The only reason patchou does not use this is that almost no one will install the sponsor, thus msgPlus will not survive.

Messenger Plus! does rely on people who do not read the agreement.
RE: Sponsor Program by Patchou on 11-08-2004 at 12:49 AM

quote:
However, we cannot make the sponsor any clearer because msgPlus rely on people who do not read the agreement.
Untrue. I don't rely on anyone reading the agreement, ghowever, Idorely on peopel who open their eyes and see the clear options given to them along with all the visual indications (such as the toolbarscreenshot). Even Google's installer is less "protected" than that. The factis that despite what some of you have always thought, many people just don't care about installing adware on their computer, as long as they get what they wanted for free. More advanced computer users are the ones who generally don't want adware and this class of people is supposed to be able to know what the screenshot of a toolbar means. In all honesty, I really think I just can't make it clearer than what it is today.