Shoutbox

RssPlug Beta 0.3 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: RssPlug Beta 0.3 (/showthread.php?tid=34272)

RssPlug Beta 0.3 by KooKiz on 11-09-2004 at 09:28 AM

Here it is, my first plugin, still in beta so I really need your feedback :)
I searched for a long time a rss feeder program that would be really integrated to windows xp, but I didn't find any. Then I discovered Messenger Plus and his API, so I decided to make my own.
This plugin is very easy to use : just indicate url and delay between each check in the configure panel, and that's all. Each time the rss feed is changed, the plugin will display a notification toast with the rss's title property, and a link to the rss's link property.
For now two commands are recognized :
/xrssremind
which display the last displayed notification.

/xrsshistory <name of the rss feed>
which display history of the rss feed
----------------------------------------------------------------
Rssplug 0.3 is now available

Download Rssplug Beta 0.3

CHANGELOG
=========
V 0.3 (07/08/05)
- Removed the status change when displaying a notification
- Added history logging
- Added /xrsshistory command
- Added some debug informations for easier bug fixing
- Added automatic check for update
- Configuration file is now stored in a xml file to provide ascendant compatibility

V 0.2.2 (16/02/05)
- Fixed "active =-1" error message (I hope so)

V 0.2.1 (19/01/05)
- Fixed error message when adding a new rss feed
- Fixed missing delay when double-clicking on an item in configuration screen
- Fixed /xrssremind command

V 0.2 (19/01/05)
- Added multiple rss support
- Configuration is now saved in a file (instead of registry like previous version)
- Notification is disabled when status is "away"

V 0.1 (12/11/04)
- First released version

The server hosting the previous versions is temporary unavailable.

Download Rssplug Beta 0.2.2

Download Rssplug Beta 0.2.1

Download Rssplug Beta 0.1

This plugin use the excellent library rss.net : http://www.rssdotnet.com/

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.1 by John on 11-09-2004 at 09:41 AM

I don't know what a rss feeder is exactly, could you please explain exactly what it is and what it does? :) I might download it then if it sounds usefull to me.

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.1 by KooKiz on 11-09-2004 at 09:46 AM

I'll make an exemple. Imagine that you are someone who regulary check yahoo's news : http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=index&cid=716
But you are bored to reload the page every five minutes to see if there is a change. Then juste take a rss feeder program, and configure it to check this url : http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/topstories  , which is the rss feed of the news page. Then each time there is a change, the rss feeder program will inform you, so you can go and see the news :)

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.1 by user13774 on 11-09-2004 at 10:03 AM

Sounds like an execellent idea. Never used rss feeds before, but I think I'm gonna like this one.

Can you also add a fuction that it only display toast when for example I'm logged in @ msn and that it is disabled with all the other accounts, like my little brothers account?

EDIT:

Installed it. It's not in the plugin list. I think you need to check the installer *-)

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.1 by John on 11-09-2004 at 10:21 AM

Sounds interesting. I don't use any of those sites though so it wouldn't be useful to me, hehe. :)

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.1 by user27089 on 11-09-2004 at 10:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jaguar
Sounds interesting. I don't use any of those sites though so it wouldn't be useful to me, hehe. :)

I think that you can use any url for it..

It sounds good, does this mean that it may also be able to check such sites as gmail?
RE: RssPlug Beta 0.1 by -dt- on 11-09-2004 at 11:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
quote:
Originally posted by Jaguar

I think that you can use any url for it..

It sounds good, does this mean that it may also be able to check such sites as gmail?

only if they have a RSS feed a RSS feed is different from a normal webpage its like a whole bunch of xml insted of html and other stuff
eg
RSS page for popular del.icio.us http://del.icio.us/rss/popular/
then the popular del.icio.us page http://del.icio.us/popular/

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.1 by user13774 on 11-09-2004 at 12:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Markus
EDIT:

Installed it. It's not in the plugin list. I think you need to check the installer 

As I said it won't work for me. Can somebody also try to install it? 8-)
RE: RssPlug Beta 0.1 by -dt- on 11-09-2004 at 01:18 PM

yea the installer places the dlls into the msgplus folder
Rssplug.dll
RSS.NET.dll
interrop.MessengerAPI.dll

and your reg settings were put in correctly (well so it seems) so im clueless to what it could be maby a bad compile?

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.1 by KooKiz on 11-09-2004 at 04:32 PM

The plugin had been created in vb.net, so it need regasm registration. It seems that the installer doesn't  do that step (I couldn't test it since my dll are already registered...). Well, I think I'll have to create my own installer....

Can someone try to register dll files with regasm and then tell me if it works ? One of my contact told me he don't see RssPlug in the plugin list, even if it works perfectly on my computer. I really don't understand :(
RE: RssPlug Beta 0.1 by -dt- on 11-11-2004 at 10:15 AM

ok i tried the regasm thing on the dls and it still dosnt show up on my plugin's list

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.1 by KooKiz on 11-11-2004 at 03:40 PM

I found the problem. Juste type :
regasm rssplug.dll /codebase
and that'll work. Do anyone know why must I add this parameter ?

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.1 by KooKiz on 11-11-2004 at 10:19 PM

I've finished the installer, this time it works :)

http://www.avesan.com/rssplug/rssplug.rar

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.1 by DJHasis on 11-12-2004 at 01:46 PM

This feels very usefull but you should have a possibility of having multiple rss feeds and have options to disable and enable witch feeds should be on and witch not. Also would be nice if people could translate the plugin easly cause this plugin feels to be so usefull :D
The new installer works and now you can edit the settings from Plus's config ;)

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.1 by EGIS on 11-12-2004 at 03:55 PM

Nice plugin! I agree with DJHasis that you should be able to have multiple feeds and set individual update frequency.

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.1 by jameslives on 11-13-2004 at 11:16 AM

I cant download it!
My winrar says "unexpected end of archive" then i cant run the installer
Please help

Thanks
James

EDIT:

I got it to work (think its because i was using a download manager)

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.1 by Martijn. on 11-14-2004 at 12:49 PM

Well, I realy like the idea, this can be very usefull;). Although I doubt this is ever going to replace FeedReader:P. I've got loads of RSS feeds, and I don't think they're all going to fit in the Messenger Plus! toasts, too bad, because the Messenger Plus toasts look better:(.

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.1 by KooKiz on 11-14-2004 at 06:39 PM

Multiple feed support will be integrated in version beta 0.2, in one week or two I think :)

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.1 by WDZ on 01-09-2005 at 10:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by KooKiz
in one week or two I think
Well? :p

November 14th, 2004 + 2 weeks = November 28th, 2004 < January 9th, 2005
RE: RssPlug Beta 0.1 by user13774 on 01-09-2005 at 11:13 AM

Tsss.... WDZ being impatient... :dodgy:

* Markus would kinda like to see this plugin in final too :grin:

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.1 by KooKiz on 01-10-2005 at 11:58 AM

Well, next version (with multiple rss feed support) is ready since a long time but I've got some problems with visual studio that doesn't recognize messenger api anymore so I can't compile :(
My examinations finish wednesday, then I'll reinstall everything and I hope that will be ok :)

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.1 by KooKiz on 01-17-2005 at 02:19 PM

Still a little bit of debugging for the thread synchronization and I'll release it :)

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by KooKiz on 01-19-2005 at 01:41 PM

It's done, Rssplug 0.2 is available (see first post)
I hope there isn't too much bugs left.  Synchronization problems are very hard to detect :p

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by user13774 on 01-19-2005 at 04:12 PM

Found a bug:

I entered all the fields correctly (see screenshot) but it still gives the error. When I press ok in the error window, the rss feed do works and is added to the list..

[Image: attachment.php?pid=364771]

And second:

What is /xrssremind suppose to do.. cuz it doesn't seem to work...

Third:

When I double click an item in the list of rss feeds the delay field is empty...

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by KooKiz on 01-19-2005 at 04:21 PM

Bug fixed.
You can just download the new dll and replace the old one if you don't want to reinstall :
http://www.avesan.com/rssplug/RssPlug.dll

For xrssremind, I'm still trying to make it works :(

For the double click, I'm on it, for now you can at least modify by a right click

The three bugs are now fixed, thanks :)
RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by J.J on 01-27-2005 at 03:15 AM

I downloaded it, but get an error every now and then (see attatchment), i think the error comes up whenever one of the sites update

How can i fix it? i'm not getting any toasts, just the error message...

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by KooKiz on 01-31-2005 at 12:27 PM

I think I solved it.

http://www.avesan.com/rssplug/RssPlug.dll

Can you please download this file, replace the old one, and tell me if it works ? :)

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by rando on 01-31-2005 at 03:54 PM

Hello kookay, 
:D

we don't know each other but would it be possible to make a linux version ?
Knowing your competences, you can do that without MsgPlus.
I would like:  a command line of the read-rss-feed kind [ - abcdefghijklmnop ] [ addresses ] [ time ] [ protocol ] [ flow ] [ size of the packages ] [ measurements of your sister ]..

Thank you for your comprehension
8-|

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by J.J on 02-01-2005 at 06:05 AM

Nope still not working, getting the same error, and when i installed it, the box from the attachment came up...

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by KooKiz on 02-01-2005 at 07:46 AM

This box is just a warning because the dll file had been changed. When you see it, just restart msn and that'll work.
But this time you shouldn't have the "active = -1" error, since I removed the error message O_o
Maybe I uploaded the wrong file version. Try this one :
http://www.avesan.com/rssplug/RssPlug%20dll.rar    (decompress it in your plugin directory, then launch msn. Then you'll have the warning, restart it). I checked it twice : it's the good one

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by DJHasis on 03-02-2005 at 03:56 PM

New version works good BUT when you have a open conversation and the plugin shows a news in a pop up-toast status changes to busy and back to online when the toast dissappears.
It's pretty annoying and would be nice to get that fixed :D

Edit:
I looked a bit more close and saw that the status changes every time when the toast appeares and disappears not depending if theres a conversation open.

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by The_Thief on 03-02-2005 at 07:57 PM

What is it for?

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by DJHasis on 03-02-2005 at 08:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by serpico
What is it for?
quote:
I'll make an exemple. Imagine that you are someone who regulary check yahoo's news : http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=index&cid=716
But you are bored to reload the page every five minutes to see if there is a change. Then juste take a rss feeder program, and configure it to check this url : http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/topstories  , which is the rss feed of the news page. Then each time there is a change, the rss feeder program will inform you, so you can go and see the news :)

RE: RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by KooKiz on 03-14-2005 at 12:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DJHasis
New version works good BUT when you have a open conversation and the plugin shows a news in a pop up-toast status changes to busy and back to online when the toast dissappears.

Yes I know, that's a little trick I use to bypass a limitation of the messenger plus api. I haven't find any other way yet, but i'm still searching...
RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by Goshi on 03-14-2005 at 04:00 PM

It doesn't work for me (on 7.0.0632 and 6.2), see the atachment. It will be better than messagecast :p :p

[Image: capture13ta.jpg]

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by KooKiz on 03-14-2005 at 04:54 PM

If you restart messengerplus, do you still have this error message ?

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by Goshi on 03-14-2005 at 05:59 PM

Yes. I've restarted msg plus more than 3 times :)

RE: RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by DJHasis on 03-14-2005 at 07:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Goshi
It doesn't work for me (on 7.0.0632 and 6.2), see the atachment. It will be better than messagecast :p :p

[Image: capture13ta.jpg]

I have Msn Messenger 7.0.0632 and don't have any other problems with the rss-plugin then the status-change :D

But what if you shutdown messenger plus and messenger and after that install the rss-plugin and restart them both?
If it would work then. If it won't work then you'll maybe need to delete the rss-plugin dll from messenger plus!-plugins folder and then re-install it.
RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by KooKiz on 03-16-2005 at 10:04 AM

This error message show up when the file "rssplug_configuration.ini" is missing (next time I'll put more explicit messages like "Configuration file is missing", or at least "File doesn't exist",I promise :D ). This file should be located in the plugin folder, and created by the installer. Anyway, after the warning message, it should be created when you quit messenger plus. So I guess there is a bug... :(

I'll give it a look, but can you try to download this file and tell me if it still doesn't works ? (after putting it in your plugin directory)

RssPlug Beta 0.2 thanks/bugs/advices by arenor on 04-05-2005 at 01:59 PM

Hello, i use Rssplug since 2 days and it works !!!
First i'd like to thank you.
If i write this message it's because i'd like to report somes bugs and advices :
- i've had some trouble during installation so i give here the method i use to install it correctly. First I must (before proceding the installation) turn on "enable plugins" in msgplus. Then I close msn and I use the windows taskmanager to shutdown manually msgplus. I proceed the rssplug installation and i restart my computer in order to reinitialize msgplus. It appears a error message that i ignore (something like a file is missing) and i go in msgplus to configure rssplug with my favorite information sites.
- i'd like to inform you that i've still a bug : when i'm starting msn, i choose to always appear offline and then turn online when i've seen who's contact are online... but since i use rssplug, my contacts told me that, when i'm connecting, i appears online and then offline several times (maybe when rssplug check web site...). They ask me why i go online and then offline 4 or 5 times... I don't know if my trouble is clear for you but i hope so ;-)
- just 2 advices now on a new fonctionnalities that could be usefull : 1) i check several rss feed coming from different websites. When a news is collected by rssplug, it doesn't tell me in which site the news appears so it would be great if it does. 2) when more than one news is posted on a website, rssplug takes only one of them, it would be great if it can gives all the news if there's more than one....

Thanks again for the usefull plug
PS: (sorry for the mistaken in this message, i'm french speaker....)

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 thanks/bugs/advices by KooKiz on 04-05-2005 at 02:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by arenor
- i'd like to inform you that i've still a bug : when i'm starting msn, i choose to always appear offline and then turn online when i've seen who's contact are online... but since i use rssplug, my contacts told me that, when i'm connecting, i appears online and then offline several times (maybe when rssplug check web site...). They ask me why i go online and then offline 4 or 5 times... I don't know if my trouble is clear for you but i hope so ;-)

I totally forgot the offline status :S
As it's mentionned before, each time the plugin show a notification, it quickly switch the status to "be right back", that's why contacts are able to see you. Since I haven't find yet another way to display the notification, I think I'll temporary desactivate them when you are offline.

quote:
- just an advice now on a new fonctionnality that could be usefull : i check several rss feed coming from different websites. When a news is collected by rssplug, it doesn't tell me in which site the news appears so it would be great if it does ...

Ok, that will be for next version, thanks for your feedback :)
RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by Foxinou on 04-05-2005 at 10:39 PM

Hi !
This is my first post here.

I post because i am very disapointed because RSS plug does not work on my PC.

I have :

Xp pro
MSN 7 Beta 7.0.0732
Msgplus : 3.50.124
Net Framework 1.1

At first install, there was Framework already installed...

When i start MSN the first time (i closed it during install), i got an error message with a DLL (framework net i think) that there were 2 DLL versions or something like that...

I clicked ok and never saw that message again.

The problem is that RSSplug have never informed about new messages.... 8-) => RSS plug does not work :(

I tried to reinstall RSSplug several times and Framework but still nothing happens.

PLugin is well configured and active in Messenger plus.

Do you have an idea? What can I do? is there a debug mode? something that will help you to troubleshoot ?

Thanks very much for your plugin and your support...

Julien,
french user.

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by KooKiz on 04-06-2005 at 08:31 AM

Wait about 30 seconds after msn finished loading, and then type "/xrssremind" in a contact window, and please tell me what happens.  And do the status change ? (it should be set briefly on "be right back").

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by Foxinou on 04-06-2005 at 08:57 AM

Hi

I tried what you asked me :

It turns me to "be right back" but it STAYS in be right back... does not go back to normal..... :S

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by KooKiz on 04-06-2005 at 08:59 AM

I guess your default internet browser isn't Internet Explorer ? (firefox for example)

RE: RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by Foxinou on 04-06-2005 at 09:00 AM

quote:
I guess your default internet browser isn't Internet Explorer ? (firefox for example)

Correct !!! Firefox ! :D is it a problem?
RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by KooKiz on 04-06-2005 at 09:04 AM

I have exactly the same problem : the plugin hangs when trying to display a notification and firefox is default browser. It works fine when I reset Internet Explorer to default browser. I wasn't sure it was the problem, but now I have no doubt. Now question is : why firefox as default browser can make the notification window malfunctioning ? Since I'm using a messenger plus api's function, I guess I'll have to ask Patchou :S

RE: RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by Foxinou on 04-06-2005 at 09:06 AM

quote:
I have exactly the same problem : the plugin hangs when trying to display a notification and firefox is default browser. It works fine when I reset Internet Explorer to default browser. I wasn't sure it was the problem, but now I have no doubt. Now question is : why firefox as default browser can make the notification window malfunctioning ? Since I'm using a messenger plus api's function, I guess I'll have to ask Patchou :S

ok so the (temporary solution) is to make IE default browser ?

thank you very much, i will try that
RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by Foxinou on 04-06-2005 at 09:13 AM

Damn.... I can't change my IE to be the default !!

I unticked in frefiox 'check if firefox is default..." and tick in IE "check if IE is default"....

But IE does not tell me it is not the default ! and When i check in Firefox if Firefox is the default : it says ys, firefox, is your default browser.

The file icons, are the firefox ones....

I don't want to manually change the filetypes.... IE should detect that it is the default one....

Strange..

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by KooKiz on 04-06-2005 at 09:15 AM

Yes I know, ie doesn't warn you for default browser each time :S
Maybe try to reboot and then retry launching ie ?

RE: RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by Foxinou on 04-06-2005 at 09:33 AM

quote:
Yes I know, ie doesn't warn you for default browser each time :S
Maybe try to reboot and then retry launching ie ?

Ok i will do this my i can't reboot right now... Will keep you informed...

BTW, where are you from Kookiz ? Europe ?
RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by absorbation on 04-06-2005 at 12:03 PM

Great work i'm going to use this alot :D

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by Foxinou on 04-06-2005 at 09:21 PM

Hi all !

Problem was solved with the help of the developper (million thanks to him)

I has to reinstall Windows Messenger, not MSN messenger i repeat Windows messenger (the old messenger that comes with Windows)

And problem was solved :D

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by arenor on 04-07-2005 at 09:27 AM

Hello, could you tell me how we could stay informed about updates of rssplug ? have you an internet site or newletter or something else ?
Thanks

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by KooKiz on 04-07-2005 at 09:32 AM

There isn't anything like that yet. I think I'll add a "check for updates" function in next version, and maybe a web site this summer.
Now, to stay informed, there is only this thread :)

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by arenor on 04-11-2005 at 09:17 AM

Maybe you could make a special rss flux in order to use the functionnality of your own plugins to inform user about updates ;-)

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by KooKiz on 04-11-2005 at 10:12 AM

That's what I was thinking about ^^

RE: RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by DJHasis on 04-11-2005 at 12:43 PM

quote:
Maybe you could make a special rss flux in order to use the functionnality of your own plugins to inform user about updates ;-)

quote:
That's what I was thinking about ^^

KooKiz what about microsoft's spaces service? There you can inform about updates and with it you can have your news automaticly in a form of a rss-feed :D

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by arenor on 04-20-2005 at 12:47 PM

Hello...
Any news... ?

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by KooKiz on 04-20-2005 at 12:50 PM

Lots and lots of things to do, I don't think I'll have the time to work on the plugin before june :S

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by arenor on 04-20-2005 at 01:41 PM

ok good luck for your work and thanks anyway

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by KooKiz on 06-07-2005 at 12:22 PM

Ok, now that I have plenty of free time, I'm going to resume the plugin developpement.

For the next version, I think I'm going to add :

- automatically check for updates
- name of the feed displayed in the notification
- stop/resume function for each feed
- maybe some debugging functions

And I'll also try to remove that annoying status change when displaying a news.

Is there any other function that you'd like to see in next version ?

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by arenor on 06-07-2005 at 01:17 PM

Hello
All the improvement you mention sound great.
I would like to add a suggestion if i may :
It could be interesting if Rssplug could store somwhere the last alerts it sends, because if i close msn and then open it again, i recieve the same last alert, it is useless. Another advantage, if i've miss an alert (because i don't look at my screen at this time e.g.) it will be nice if rssplug could display the list of the last news it receives (let's say the last 5 e.g.) on demand.

Thanks anyway for the great plugins

RE: RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by DJHasis on 06-07-2005 at 07:00 PM

quote:
Ok, now that I have plenty of free time, I'm going to resume the plugin developpement.

Nice!
This plugin is very usefull but the little annoynce of status-changes are bad :D

quote:
it will be nice if rssplug could display the list of the last news it receives (let's say the last 5 e.g.) on demand.

I would more prefer 10 cause I have now 4 feeds and they all are changed very offen or if the list will be made so that last 5 from a feed will be possible to see. In my case there will be 20 news to be able to see. :P
RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by KooKiz on 06-08-2005 at 10:44 AM

I think I'll add an option to set the number of news to keep, to avoid any complaint :)

RE: RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by DJHasis on 06-08-2005 at 06:37 PM

quote:
I think I'll add an option to set the number of news to keep, to avoid any complaint :)

Nice :D
RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by KooKiz on 07-21-2005 at 08:45 AM

After weeks of research, I finally found a way to get rid of these annoying status change :)
The plugin now need a serious optimisation, then I'll add the functionalities which we talked about before. That should be a matter of days from now on.

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by Sypher on 07-21-2005 at 01:57 PM

Maybe you can check out some cosmetic things aswell.. Things like Form-titles, the flat buttons (you can use a manifest or something to round the buttons)..

Nice plugin though :)

With the upcoming features you will have a nice set of tools ;)

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by KooKiz on 07-26-2005 at 02:39 PM

I'm still working on it, but if you want a version without status change to help you wait, you can use this dll : http://www.avesan.com/rssplug/RssPlug%200.3%20alpha.rar

(just replace the old one with this one)

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by Waxime on 08-07-2005 at 03:32 AM

your plugin work really good and i love the connection to the news directly in the web site and not the same of firefox RSS

but 2 littles change i request

1- give the possibilitly to open the URL in other windows. Becose sometime, many RSS is update in the same time. If i read the first news, i can't clic in the second before finish to read the first news, becose i lost the first news for go the URL of second news.

2- History. I not 24H behind my computer. Can you create a histoy of all new RSS change. Exemple during the night. Some RSS is change. When i wake up, i can see my history RSS change. I know messenger plus have a history. But i prefer RSSPlug history only

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by Waxime on 08-07-2005 at 03:56 PM

i look the date of the last release (Febuary 2005)
if you stop the developpement of the plugin
send me the source code and i continu the developpement

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by MC Inferno on 08-07-2005 at 08:33 PM

great idea (Y) useless for me, but still, great idea (Y)

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by Waxime on 08-07-2005 at 09:07 PM

i receive one error and that close my messenger. If the RSSPlug is off, that don't append. If i not clic close to the error, messenger work good again but RSSPlug stop to working.

i think is becose one RSS have a problem or not valid. Please add some try .. catch with good error message.

thanks
messenger 7.5.0244 Beta
plus 3.54.132 french config
RSSPlug 0.2.2 with http://www.avesan.com/rssplug/RssPlug%200.3%20alpha.rar

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.2 by KooKiz on 08-08-2005 at 06:48 PM

Finally, version 0.3 is available !

It took a long time, sorry for that.

- Removed the status change when displaying a notification
- Added history logging
- Added /xrsshistory command
- Added some debug informations for easier bug fixing
- Added automatic check for update

Also, the configuration file is now a xml file, to provide ascendent compatibility. The only problem is that rssplug 0.2 configuration file can not be read by this version, you'll have to re-add your rss feeds.

The 10 last news of the rss feed are stored, and can be read with the plugin. Interface is, well... ugly, but I'll work on that in next versions.

The plugin sometimes make msn messenger freeze when displaying a notification. This is not a rssplug bug, but a messenger plus one :/
I'll try to make my own displaying notification system in next versions, to avoid this.

The news's publication dates aren't stored correctly. I'm still working on that bug, but this is a tough one.

Waxime, the developpement is a bit long because I also work on some other projects, but I'll surely continue it until the first final version, and probably even after. Still, I take note of your proposal.

Sypher, I'll work on the interface for the final versions, since there will probably be lot of new features.

Well, I hope I forgot nothing.
Here is the link : http://www.avesan.com/rssplug/rssplug%200.3.rar

Once again, I need your feedback ! :)

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.3 by Waxime on 08-09-2005 at 04:35 PM

always same error

messenger error and it close

my rsrplug_configuration

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<rssplug version="0.3" debug_enabled="0" check_for_update="1">
  <rss name="VnuNet" url="http://www.vnunet.fr/rssrdf/news.xml" delay="3600" />
  <rss name="VnuNet" url="http://www.vnunet.fr/rssrdf/softwin.xml" delay="3605" />
  <rss name="GameKult" url="http://www0.gamekult.com/cobranding/rss/news.xml" delay="1800" />
  <rss name="JeuxVideo" url="http://www.jeuxvideo.com/rss/rss.xml" delay="3610" />
  <rss name="LogicielFR" url="http://www.logiciels-fr.com/index2.php?option=com_rss&amp;feed=RSS2.0&amp;no_html=1" delay="3615" />
  <rss name="Gueux Portable" url="http://mobiles.gueux.be/modules/news/rss/gueux_news_mobiles.rss" delay="3625" />
  <rss name="Gueux NGC" url="http://ngc.gueux.be/modules/news/rss/gueux_news_ngc.rss" delay="3630" />
  <rss name="msn Fanatic" url="http://www.msnfanatic.com/rss.php" delay="3595" />
  <rss name="OpenFiles" url="http://www.open-files.com/backend.php3" delay="3590" />
  <rss name="WinBeta" url="http://www.winbeta.org/feeds/backend.php?page=winbeta&amp;feed=RSS2" delay="3585" />
  <rss name="NeoWin" url="http://www.neowin.net/backend.php?page=main" delay="3580" />
  <rss name="GenerationNt" url="http://www.generation-nt.com/export/rss.xml" delay="1805" />
</rssplug>

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.3 by KooKiz on 08-09-2005 at 06:40 PM

I tryed with your configuration file but I don't have any kind of error :/
The more surprising is that messenger plus is closing. Usually, when a problem occurs, messenger plus simply close rssplug, and continue working...

I didn't install msn 7.5 yet, did you try with 7.0 ?

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.3 by Waxime on 08-09-2005 at 07:09 PM

no i not try
but messenger continu to work if i not press on the error message and the error message isn't significative error :-(

if you want i test something, send me a version with many more try catch msgbox("1") .. msgbox("2") ....

i try it and i can say to you the number of the error. with that you can say where is the bug with messenger 7.5

i don't have other plugin
and if i stop rssplug. I don't have error

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.3 by oxygenuk on 08-12-2005 at 08:51 PM

this sounds cool but i use personalized google hompage for my rss feeds

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.3 by arenor on 11-03-2005 at 10:10 AM

your web site appears to be closes, is it normal ? I can't download your plug anymore....:(

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.3 by Waxime on 11-03-2005 at 01:59 PM

try webbulle, that make exactly trhe samething

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.3 by KooKiz on 11-03-2005 at 02:57 PM

Webbulle isn't really the same. That's a rss reader, indeed, but not fully integrated to the environment.
The reason why I maked rssplug a Messenger plus plugin rather than a stand-alone application, is that this way the plugin is loaded only when you are connected to internet (I don't know anyone who use msn messenger offline), and use very few ram (Webbulle use more than 16 Mb). After installation, Rssplug do everything to be forgetted : no start menu folder, no desktop icon, not even an icon in the taskbar. The only times when you remember that you are using Rssplug is when a news is displayed, or when you want to add a new rss feed.
I don't know why you use this plugin rather than any other application, but I created it and I use it because I don't know any other free rss reader that I can forget so easily.

I don't know when the previous server will be available, so you can download the plugin here : http://k.gosse.free.fr/rssplug/rssplug%200.3.rar

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.3 by arenor on 12-01-2005 at 10:43 AM

Since a month i've problem with messenger. It crash every time when loading. I discover that when i remove your rssplug, it works correctly. It's strange that the plug works correctly for months but crash messenger since november... Do you see a reason ?

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.3 by KooKiz on 12-01-2005 at 10:55 AM

You probably installed an incompatible program/plugin, but I don't know which one...
Rssplug is compatible with msn 7.5, Messenger Plus! 3.61, .net2.0.

Anyway, this plugin really need to be rewritten from scratch, but I don't have enough free time this year :/

If someone is interested in helping, please contact me.

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.3 by KooKiz on 12-02-2005 at 07:07 PM

Can you please replace your old dll with this one ?
http://k.gosse.free.fr/rssplug/RssPlug.dll

I think this should work.

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.3 by laurenz on 12-10-2005 at 10:04 AM

it makes my msn gets a error report and crash when i start msn up!
its very very anoying, and im sure of it that it is this plugin, cuz when i de-install it, everything works fine, when i install the plugin again, BOOOM, crash!
i got msn 7.5.0311 (dutch version) and msgplus 3.61.145.
I got the Countdown plugin, stuffplug plugin, and the adcontrol plugin in stalled with this one..then i get the error..

EDIT:
haven't seen the post above me lol..
thnx for the dll, it works

RE: RssPlug Beta 0.3 by sector15 on 02-19-2007 at 01:45 PM

Hi,

I was just wondering if this plugin could be used in conjunction with the gmail RSS function (http://forevergeek.com/geek_resources/gmail_rss_feed.php) to check for for new emails...

It would be great if this actually worked as the pop3 checker built into messenger plus has issues with the gmail pop3 protocol...