Shoutbox

Game Forum? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Game Forum? (/showthread.php?tid=34337)

Game Forum? by KeyStorm on 11-11-2004 at 12:37 PM

Well, in the last weeks/months we've seen many endless topics about upcoming games or "hey I have a pic of the game package :drool:" and so on. Some might deserve going to T&T (specially the one I mentioned), but some other could be interesting for some people, Just as interesting as when we talk about new gadgets or storage technologies in TT.

My thought: As siple as having a gaming subforum.

I know this is a Messenger Plus! community and that's what it has to be... forever, but I know Patchou is positive on having other topic on the board apart from 'bug', 'suggestion', 'suggestion', 'f** sponsor', 'new version', 'bug', etc.

There could be a forum Politics or Sports, but I don't see special interest in most members.

Well, just a thought I had while scratching mi head :P

RE: Game Forum? by user13774 on 11-11-2004 at 02:44 PM

There are not that much game topics, but it's true that it's not very clear if game topics belong in tech talk or general CC.

RE: Game Forum? by Omar on 11-11-2004 at 03:05 PM

Yeah...so i can finally comment on my favorite abandonware ATARI 2600

RE: Game Forum? by user27089 on 11-11-2004 at 09:02 PM

How about you just say you edited it?

I agree that there have been endless topics about games, but can you blame these people, this year has probably been the most astronomically amazing time for gamers. Look at all of the games that have came out, and are coming out, its just endless on how many game there are, and how many are coming out! And, I should add, the topics have mostly been about the years 3 most anticipated games, Halo 2, Half-Life 2 and Doom 3.

Surely you can see how excited we are from this :p.

RE: RE: Game Forum? by .Roy on 11-11-2004 at 10:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
How about you just say you edited it?

I agree that there have been endless topics about games, but can you blame these people, this year has probably been the most astronomically amazing time for gamers. Look at all of the games that have came out, and are coming out, its just endless on how many game there are, and how many are coming out! And, I should add, the topics have mostly been about the years 3 most anticipated games, Halo 2, Half-Life 2 and Doom 3.

Surely you can see how excited we are from this :p.

hes right you know... This gaming threads will be gone soon because halo 2 is already released and most good games :-P I still agree with the idea of havving a game forum.. It will be more organized and easier to find threads.. :-P But also gaming goes on general. Because it is general.. So maybe if you do decide to amek a "Game" Forum then change the general chitchat description.. Like make it say the same thing but at the end it says there is also a gaming forum.. Lol my idea :-P
RE: Game Forum? by Maniac on 11-11-2004 at 10:27 PM

Alright.... my last post was split for an understandable... but debatable reason, so no spam here...

(y) for game forum, the forum i personally go to the most is a nintendo forum.... and even if most of the discussion in it is about Halo and random other stuff.... it's still fun!

RE: Game Forum? by user27089 on 11-11-2004 at 10:31 PM

I don't agree that we should have a game forum, this is the Messenger Plus! forum, and Messenger Plus! doesn't have anything to do with games at all, apart from in general chit chat and testing and trashing. Having a games forum would make no sence and make the forum seem.. misguided.

RE: Game Forum? by dotNorma on 11-12-2004 at 12:47 AM

The only thing that would ever be posted in that forum is Halo 2 nonsense :dodgy:

quote:
Originally posted by Ningc_Maniac
for game forum, the forum i personally go to the most is a nintendo forum.... and even if most of the discussion in it is about Halo and random other stuff.... it's still fun!

Why would you talk about Halo 2 in a Nintendo forum?

RE: Game Forum? by Pr0xY on 11-12-2004 at 01:02 AM

quote:
I don't agree that we should have a game forum, this is the Messenger Plus! forum, and Messenger Plus! doesn't have anything to do with games at all, apart from in general chit chat and testing and trashing. Having a games forum would make no sence and make the forum seem.. misguided.
Well you should know there WILL be dead times in the forum, when nothing related to Plus! is there to talk about (like back When Patchou disappeared for like 8 months), and so you DO need something else to chit chat about with your friends.

I'm all for it.  If anyone thinks this is just another way to spam easily to get your post counter up, then just make the posts in that forum not count, I'd rather have that and be able to talk about games freely then triple check a post I make about a game in General Chit Chat to make sure it hasn't already been posted or is spam. 

RE: Game Forum? by Chrono on 11-12-2004 at 02:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
know this is a Messenger Plus! community and that's what it has to be...
exactly.
quote:
forum Politics or Sports
lmao are u serious? :P
quote:
Originally posted by Markus
There are not that much game topics
true, or do u really want a subforum were onlyblade will post (about halo of course :P).

I think we have enough forums already. And there aint that many threads about games to put a subforum for them :P. its just 1 member who's crazy about halo (i wont say his name, but it starts with b and finishas with lade :refucck:, and thats it for the videogames threads :P

there is a sticky in GCC so people post their stuff about videogames, and thats enough.
RE: Game Forum? by .blade// on 11-12-2004 at 02:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
true, or do u really want a subforum were onlyblade will post (about halo of course :P).

:dodgy: That is not true :| I make very few threads about Halo :dodgy: :notfunny:

And TBA, there are actually quite a few game topics. I've noticed several Halo ones (other than mine) several GTA: SA ones, severl next gen. console ones, and several about your fav. games and such, and others...

Whether or not it deserves its own forum is debateable, but that one thread in GCC just doesn't cut it...
RE: Game Forum? by Chrono on 11-12-2004 at 02:45 AM

it does, maybe u should start to post there instead of creating new threads about the same :P

(and i was joking when i said ur name :P)

RE: Game Forum? by KeyStorm on 11-12-2004 at 02:23 PM

I agree that there aren't many Game threads. But there are some, and the tendence is growing, since newer gaming technologies are constantly appearing.

I reckon  only one thread is not enough. Why? thread means topic, and  we can't put the new Playstation together with Half-Life 2 in one topic. I'm also against the gaming threads spread between GCC and TT, which makes it confuse.

As gaming has sub-topics that can be discussed (similarly to Technology) it should have at leat a subforum in TT, in my opinion.

Don't misunderstand me: I'm still agains the multiple threads about a same topic (that handful topics about Halo 2 where doubtless excessive) (blade? few threads? what do you mean by "few"? :refuck:). I'd still report that thread with a pic of the package of an unreleased game (with lots of :drool:ing over it), which is all the way excessive.

But I think it needs certain separation from other topics to not to mess GCC and/or TT up with something that isn't directly relationed with Technology, but isn't really unrelated enough to be in GCC.

My suggestion:
Make a subforum "Gaming Talk" whatsoever in TT. I still think it will be more useful than the Poll Center (How many polls are made there in one week? How many of them are successful, since there is no capability to bump them up in the latest posts, the main page for most members).
This is just a mere comparison to show you there is already a less useful (not useles) forum.

And as I said, Patchou has always been supporting the idea of hosting other topics on this board, not only (but mainly) Messenger Plus! related. There are many members, it's difficult to stick to just one topic.

RE: Game Forum? by CookieRevised on 11-12-2004 at 02:42 PM

If any new forums are to be made, I suggest to start with dividing up some existing forums* (to keep the clutter in order) instead of creating brand new ones....

This is after all a Messenger (Plus!) forum, not an overall general forum of all the popular subjects you can think of. Blade (and others) want a game forum? Well, it is harsh, but there are thousands of dedicated games forums around, post there....

*eg:
plus suggestions
messenger bug reports
messenger addons/plugins/skins

RE: Game Forum? by _Humphreys on 11-12-2004 at 04:44 PM

quote:
There are not that much game topics, but it's true that it's not very clear if game topics belong in tech talk or general CC.

I agree it is a bit confusing with were you should post something about a video game so a sub forum would clear this confusment.

I play games nearly all of the time and I would talk about them to the death lol so it would be nice if there was a game forum for me and for others as I am sure there are people like me!:)
RE: Game Forum? by user27089 on 11-12-2004 at 04:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Attitude Extreme
I agree it is a bit confusing with were you should post something about a video game so a sub forum would clear this confusment.

I play games nearly all of the time and I would talk about them to the death lol so it would be nice if there was a game forum for me and for others as I am sure there are people like me!:)

Whys it so hard to find General Chit Chat, it doesn't really fit into any other category. Why should 'gamers' deserve a sub forum, people come in and talk about the sponsor agreement constantly, they don't get a forum called "Sponsor Agreement Chat", I don't see why its any different. If anything, then people to do with the sponsor agreement deserve a forum more. This is NOT a forum dedicated to games, try gamezville? OXM? any others, a forum for gaming, just not this one..

If you'd play them till death, then i'm sure it wouldn't be to hard to his the keys 'www.google.com' then one mouse click into the text box and type in 'games forum'.
RE: Game Forum? by _Humphreys on 11-12-2004 at 04:58 PM

Well there a lot of people here who like games and I see loads of threads in GCC and Tech Talk about games. It would then keep Tech Talk to just Computer Talk and GCC for other things and traxor why are you taking it so serious?

RE: Game Forum? by user27089 on 11-12-2004 at 05:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Attitude Extreme
Well there a lot of people here who like games and I see loads of threads in GCC and Tech Talk about games. It would then keep Tech Talk to just Computer Talk and GCC for other things and traxor why are you taking it so serious?

Well, why can't they just keep it to these two, if we don't have a game forum, then the Server Load won't mess up as much, we'll have a bunch of n00bs that don't know anything about messenger plus! joining purely to talk about all of their games, the new category  would be full of spammy posts, and screenshots of games that are completely irrelevant to this forum.

I'm taking it seriously because i'm giving out my facts and opinions in a sensible manner?
RE: Game Forum? by _Humphreys on 11-12-2004 at 05:15 PM

quote:
Well, why can't they just keep it to these two, if we don't have a game forum, then the Server Load won't mess up as much, we'll have a bunch of n00bs that don't know anything about messenger plus! joining purely to talk about all of their games, the new category  would be full of spammy posts, and screenshots of games that are completely irrelevant to this forum.

I'm taking it seriously because i'm giving out my facts and opinions in a sensible manner?

Well you have a couple of points there but there a couple of members who help out talk about plus and talk about games if someone made it clear where to post about the games then I suppose that would work too.
RE: Game Forum? by KeyStorm on 11-12-2004 at 05:58 PM

quote:
they don't get a forum called "Sponsor Agreement Chat"

Basically because they can only talk about one thing, THE Sponsor Agreement. But the gaming world is really vast and has many different subtopics thus being interesting to have them somehow separated from GCC.

I'm not saying it should be crowded. Because it won't. But simply move all the discussions and topics about games should be there. Just the same as Tech Talk. If Tech Talk didn't exist, all tech threads would be in GCC. As there are many of this kinf, Tech Talk made sense. For this reason I suggest the creation of a Gaming Forum, no more no less.
You could talk about tech better in Neowin, but some things may be discussed here, because it's not confortable to have to move the board to talk about each topic. If this was a small community, ok, let it be. But I'm seing many people wanting to talk a bit about gaming, while they keep track of Messenger Plus!' support, bugs, versions, information, etc.
RE: Game Forum? by saralk on 11-12-2004 at 07:59 PM

I think this is a perfect community, not to big to make yourself seem insignificant, and not to small to make the forums inactive. Neowin, i think is too big so you cant get an equal say.
So I think a games forum would make this forum a lot better

RE: Game Forum? by Chrono on 11-12-2004 at 08:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
This is after all a Messenger (Plus!) forum, not an overall general forum of all the popular subjects you can think of. Blade (and others) want a game forum? Well, it is harsh, but there are thousands of dedicated games forums around, post there....
thats exactly my point of view (Y)
quote:
Basically because they can only talk about one thing, THE Sponsor Agreement. But the gaming world is really vast and has many different subtopics thus being interesting to have them somehow separated from GCC.
exactly, is so vast that there are many forums dedicated to them. if u want to talk about videogames, please, dont do it here :P.

RE: Game Forum? by WDZ on 11-12-2004 at 08:31 PM

quote:
quote:
thats exactly my point of view (Y)
Mine too. :p A game forum is too much for this board. Gaming-related threads are acceptable, but only because they're just general talk. A forum specifically for game discussion would only encourage more threads about games, and I don't want that. :S Video games don't even have a real relation to MsgPlus or Messenger.
RE: Game Forum? by Chrono on 11-12-2004 at 08:57 PM

Maybe they want a games forum to talk about minesweeper and tic tac toe :refuck: :lol:

RE: Game Forum? by WDZ on 11-12-2004 at 08:59 PM

quote:
Maybe they want a games forum to talk about minesweeper and tic tac toe :refuck: :lol:
What is there to talk about? ^o)
RE: Game Forum? by Chrono on 11-12-2004 at 09:01 PM

oOoOoOooooo i want to share my tic tac-tics :lol:

RE: Game Forum? by saralk on 11-12-2004 at 09:36 PM

maybe there could be talk about /insult 2?

RE: RE: Game Forum? by Maniac on 11-13-2004 at 12:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NoName
The only thing that would ever be posted in that forum is Halo 2 nonsense :dodgy:

quote:
Originally posted by Ningc_Maniac
for game forum, the forum i personally go to the most is a nintendo forum.... and even if most of the discussion in it is about Halo and random other stuff.... it's still fun!

Why would you talk about Halo 2 in a Nintendo forum?

Lol, well it's a forum that's for a nintendo sites but its biggest members are video game freaks not fanboys and atm halo is our major source of discussion :p
RE: Game Forum? by CookieRevised on 11-13-2004 at 09:00 AM

btw, am I wrong in saying that this whole discussion only appeared because we had many different threads, all about Halo, which easly could've been posted in 1 or 2 single threads, instead of multiple threads all about the same Halo-subject?

I think, in other words, that the problem wasn't talk about a game (Halo) but about the fact that multiple threads were created with the exact same contents, while the older threads could easly be continued instead of creating yet another thread with the same Halo-subject...

(eg: just like those "what's your favorite song" threads... how many are there by now? It's not a problem to make such a thread, but it is when people are constantly creating new threads with exactly the same contents: eg: "list your song top-10")

RE: Game Forum? by user27089 on 11-13-2004 at 10:42 AM

quote:
btw, am I wrong in saying that this whole discussion only appeared because we had many different threads, all about Halo, which easly could've been posted in 1 or 2 single threads, instead of multiple threads all about the same Halo-subject?

I think, in other words, that the problem wasn't talk about a game (Halo) but about the fact that multiple threads were created with the exact same contents, while the older threads could easly be continued instead of creating yet another thread with the same Halo-subject...

(eg: just like those "what's your favorite song" threads... how many are there by now? It's not a problem to make such a thread, but it is when people are constantly creating new threads with exactly the same contents: eg: "list your song top-10")

I agree that there could've been only one thread, but the excitement between people meant that they weren't able to press the Search button to look for a thread, its quite annoying, the amount of multiple threads that are exactly the same there are.

RE: Game Forum? by FrozernFire on 11-13-2004 at 02:32 PM

a game forum might also die out during the times where no new games are coming out. a nice long thread about a particular game is good enough

RE: Game Forum? by user27089 on 11-13-2004 at 03:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by FrozernFire
a game forum might also die out during the times where no new games are coming out. a nice long thread about a particular game is good enough

I don't think it would die out at all, it would just be a pointless forum that is not relevant at all. Just 1 thread per new game would do.
RE: Game Forum? by KeyStorm on 11-13-2004 at 06:55 PM

quote:
quote:
exactly, is so vast that there are many forums dedicated to them. if u want to talk about videogames, please, dont do it here :P.

Great, Chromo. You should become journalist: selective-quoting-lover :dodgy:

quote:
If Tech Talk didn't exist, all tech threads would be in GCC.
This was the point of the whole post :P

It's not only about game forums, because I'm rather negative on all those halo threads and whatever, but there should be forums about other topics. I put Game Forums as example since I saw it was a recurrent topic around here (don't you expect me to post much in there if it existed).
RE: Game Forum? by Chrono on 11-13-2004 at 07:32 PM

quote:
This was the point of the whole post
if the "help and support", "bug reports" and "general Plus! talk" forums didnt exist, all the questions about messsenger plus! would be posted in GCC  :P

Tech talk is there  cause it has its place. Its kinda obvious that people will post other stuff than only msgplus related threads, being this a support board :P.

And i insist, there aint enough threads posted about videogames, it doesnt deserve its own forum. we would be encouraging people to post about videogames, and that seems stupid to me :P
RE: Game Forum? by KeyStorm on 11-13-2004 at 08:02 PM

quote:
we would be encouraging people to post about videogames, and that seems stupid to me
Bleh, you're prolly right about that in the end...