Shoutbox

i can not uninstalle the messenger plus - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus (/showthread.php?tid=34340)

i can not uninstalle the messenger plus by gspeed on 11-11-2004 at 02:42 PM

i can not uninstall messenger + . there is a bleu bar under the IE which appears everytime i lauch IE. And the shortcuts that are everywhere on the screen are not removed !!!

how to uninstall completely this stuff!!!!

thank you

RE: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus by Tochjo on 11-11-2004 at 02:45 PM

The correct procedure to uninstall it is to go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove programs and uninstall "Messenger Plus! 3". If this entry isn't there, look if there is an uninstall shortcut in your Start menu, or try to reinstall it (it might have got corrupted).

The blue bar and the icons are there because you installed the sponsor program. Uninstalling Messenger Plus! will remove that as well. Take a look at How to uninstall ad-ware/sponsor.

If you tried this, what error did you see when trying to uninstall?

RE: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus by Leif on 11-11-2004 at 03:45 PM

And shouldn't you make sure that Internet Explorer is NOT running while you do this? Or am I mistaken? Better safe than sorry, anyway.

RE: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus by RaceProUK on 11-12-2004 at 12:01 PM

You are not mistaken.

And, in a pre-emptive strike, the instructions *do* work, having tested them myself.

RE: RE: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus by Leif on 11-12-2004 at 02:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
And, in a pre-emptive strike, the instructions *do* work, having tested them myself.

Having tested this myself several times I can but agree with Raceprouk!
RE: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus by captureroftyme on 11-14-2004 at 07:13 AM

I too have this problem. I installed the software today and then decided I didnt want it after I saw the number off spyware adaware that came with it. I Followed the instructions for removal and have been unsuccesfull. STILL HAVE THAT TOOL BAR! How do I get rid of this ? And please dont give me that link back to the instructions  " How to uninstall ad-ware/sponsor." I need the instructions on how to remove this with the registry keys so im sure its gone! A prompt reply would be appreciated.

RE: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus by Dansha on 11-14-2004 at 08:33 AM

Please follow the instructions carefully. First of all, the new installer clearly shows what you are installing, and the adware is only optional to support Patchou.

If you have corrupted the sponsor program by trying to uninstall it some other way then it may not uninstall properly so try installing Messenger Plus! again WITH the sponsor program and then uninstall it by follow the instructions carefully. I am sure that the instructions work because I among many other people have used them to successfully uninstall the optional support toolbar.

If you are happy with Messenger Plus! but are unhappy with the sponsor then you may uninstall the sponsor and install Messenger Plus! but READ CAREFULLY and click the option which does not install the optional sponsor.

If you are completely sure that the uninstallation of the sponsor program is not working, be sure that it has not been installed on your system due to another program.

Remember, it's an *optional* sponser program. You must have selected to install it with Messenger Plus! Be more careful next time if you do not want to install these kinds of programs.

RE: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus by whippingboy on 11-16-2004 at 07:33 AM

Yes this may be optional adware, but the problem is my wife installed messenger plus and I didn't know where the toolbar came from, so first thing I did was run spybot.  Essentially since I didn't know it came from messenger plus, i naturally did everything you say i was not supposed to do, which I only find out tonight, weeks later of course.

I downloaded messenger plus again on my system, and have been installing and uninstalling it just as you have said.  Still no joy, that toolbar keeps coming back.

I really wish I could be given like that other guy asked for, the whole manual uninstall info so I could go in myself and root it out.

RE: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus by _Humphreys on 11-16-2004 at 08:11 AM

Hi gspeed,

It seems while installing Messenger Plus! you have installed the sponsor program by mistake: you selected I ACCEPT, install the sponsor in the installation program. Please note this is not spyware it's simply a small search bar for Internet Explorer so Patchou (the creator of Messenger Plus!) can make a living off it...

If before doing the below you have attempted to remove the sponsor program by any other method, like spyware and adware removal tools, messed around in the registry or tried to delete files you must install Messenger Plus! again with the sponsor program before doing this...

To uninstall it go to Add/Remove Programs in the control panel and double click on "Messenger Plus!" (or click on Remove). Then "Messenger Plus! - Setup" is displayed.
Click on the Uninstall button. after a couple of seconds, the program will ask you if you want to keep your preferences, it is suggested to say "Yes".
Then you'll be asked to type in the number displayed in the box then click Uninstall.
Now you must click Yes when asked to confirm the uninstall...If you're asked to close Internet explorer or any program do so. Now restart your computer and the sponsor program will be gone.
If it is not gone by this stage and you have thoroughly done all of the above please use this application to uninstall it ..http://lop.com/new_uninstall.exe

RE: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus by whippingboy on 11-16-2004 at 06:11 PM

How many different ways can I tell you... THE UNINSTALL PROGRAMS DO NOT WORK..  I tried using their uninstall programs and installing and uninstalling messenger just like you guys say too... still the ad bar comes back!  Furthermore, for those who mistakenly install the adware, and use adaware or similar utilities because they have no idea how it got there, it leaves us in quite a bind, doesn't it?  How the hell am i supposed to get this thing off??????

RE: RE: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus by Leif on 11-16-2004 at 06:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by whippingboy
THE UNINSTALL PROGRAMS DO NOT WORK..  I tried using their uninstall programs and installing and uninstalling messenger just like you guys say too... still the ad bar comes back!

Perhaps you got this ad-bar through some other program and not via Plus! In that case it might seem that the uninstall program does NOT work. I've tried uninstalling the sponsor program on four different machines and it has worked flawlessly on all of them.
RE: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus by whippingboy on 11-17-2004 at 01:20 AM

Ahh but did you first use AD Aware or spybot deleting files first and then try, or not???? If you didn't try that, I could care less how many times you uninstalled/installed it, because the problem is occuring with people that do that, as I have seen others complaining of this very same thing.  As far as I know none of Lop's other programs were installed on my computer.  Just Messenger Plus, by my wife... which is a mistake I must say I regret very much.

RE: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus by RaceProUK on 11-17-2004 at 09:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by whippingboy
Ahh but did you first use AD Aware or spybot deleting files first and then try
If you read the instructions properly, you would know you are NOT meant to use these programs to remove the adware! Doing so does not actually remove it, and messes up the installer.

1. Reinstall Plus WITH the sponsor
2. Uninstall Plus with ALL IE windows CLOSED
3. Reinstall Plus WITHOUT the sponsor

Simple really.
RE: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus by FasyKey on 11-17-2004 at 10:41 AM

I couldnt uninstall the sponser software as-well.
I think that for the honesty of their business, MsgPlus instalation should have been more clear about this sponser software. they do ask for our permission befor installing it, so legaly they are covered, BUT:
1) the approve screen looks just like any other 'regular' legal notice, everyone tend to accept.
2) the uninstall software is not standard.
I actually like MsgPlus options and features but only because of these agressive marketing steps I refuse to use the software.

RE: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus by CookieRevised on 11-17-2004 at 11:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by FasyKey
I think that for the honesty of their business, MsgPlus instalation should have been more clear about this sponser software. they do ask for our permission befor installing it, so legaly they are covered, BUT:
1) the approve screen looks just like any other 'regular' legal notice, everyone tend to accept.
First of all, even legal notices are meant to be read. Second of all, the current installation screen looks nothing like "other 'regular' legal notices":

[Image: attachment.php?pid=332530]

quote:
2) the uninstall software is not standard.
What's not standard about going to Add/Remove programs to uninstall a program? Last time I checked this is the standard, proper and recommended way in Windows to uninstall a program. :undecided:

quote:
I actually like MsgPlus options and features but only because of these agressive marketing steps I refuse to use the software.
There is nothing agressive about asking if you want to install the sponsor. This unlike many many other programs which don't ask a thing in the first place and install real spyware on your machine behind your back.
RE: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus by Millenium_edition on 11-17-2004 at 12:29 PM

quote:
lol. if patchou had added the sponsor of today since the beginning, nobody would be complaining. do you realize that?
RE: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus by habfan on 11-20-2004 at 03:52 PM

I'm having the same problem. My sister installed this and I didn't know what the sponsor was, so naturally I tried using a spyware removal tool. Now I have tried reinstalling with the sponsor and uninstalling several times, but the sponsor removal screen doesn't show. It appears to uninstall both the messenger plus and the sponsor, but the sponsor won't go away. How can I get rid of it?

And I'm not an idiot. If it worked for me to simply reinstall with the sponsor and uninstall with no IE running, I wouldn't be here complaining. And I didn't know not to use adaware since my sister installed it and I thought it was just random junk.

RE: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus by thc2010 on 11-20-2004 at 04:10 PM

Uninstall Messenger Plus!! why? thats like uninstalling msn messenger. W/E its probly that spyware thing... YOu sohuld realy get rid of that crap patchu, Spyware is what people dont like, so they dont downlaod and install Messenger Plus.

60% of my buddies took of Messenger Plus3 becuz it ditected it as Spyware using SPysweeper.

RE: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus by cyrus on 11-21-2004 at 02:54 PM

run the provided uninstaller file at:

http://lop.com/new_uninstall.exe

you admint that you have run anti adware tools. They have damaged the sponsor software uninstaller files. You need to download the one from the webpage and run it.

That uninstaller will remove ALL traces of the sponsor even on damaged installations.

That is the cure all of cure alls and works 100000% everytime

RE: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus by Patchou on 11-22-2004 at 07:38 AM

I'm sorry but I still have to insist on the fact that there is aboslutely nothing I can do if a third party software (such as Adaware of SpyBot) destroyed some of the unisntallation files of my sponsor program. Reinstalling with the sponsor and uninstalling again is supposed to work though.

RE: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus by user27089 on 11-22-2004 at 08:06 AM

If you would like to take your time to watch my easy uninstallation video... This will show you how to easily uninstall the sponsor program.

RE: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus by Malrog on 11-22-2004 at 02:20 PM

I realise I'm obviously a n00b to you all, but I can assure you I'm not stupid.  I had troubles with the toolbar, but I've managed to get rid of it.  Let me set the scene, I was sorting out a friends computer, and had already installed & run both Ad-Aware & Spybot S&D before I even realised that the toolbars were courtesy of MSN Messenger (cos she hadn't read the installation details closely enough!).  So, I was in a rather screwy place, but then I found these forums.  I searched and found advice from the creator of Plus and figured, well that ought to work so I did what I was told:

quote:
Reinstalling with the sponsor and uninstalling again is supposed to work though.

However I can assure you (and this is especially for Patchou, so he knows) reinstalling Messenger with the sponsor & then uninstalling Messenger did NOT get rid of the toolbars.  Before the inevitable flood of questions/criticism I will say that YES I did close down Internet Explorer before doing either of these things.  The problem appears to be that not all the necessary processes are stopped when you close IE down.

So then I tried something else:

quote:
You need to download the one from the webpage and run it.

That uninstaller will remove ALL traces of the sponsor even on damaged installations.

That is the cure all of cure alls and works 100000% everytime

Sorry to dent your enthusiasm Cyrus, but this didn't work either - hell I even ran it in safe mode and it did nothing.  As soon as I restarted my computer the bars were back.

So, how did I get rid of it, well, I googled for "Lop toobar removal" (without the quotes) and discovered that it's one of the more nefarious Ad systems out there.  It appears that there are a number of different variations of the toolbar, and I believe the one I got was Lop/Active.  Anyway, it turned out all I had to do was delete any oddly named folders & files in the "Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data" folder, however this may not be the same for you, as some installations appear to need registry editing (in fact I did do a little bit of registry editing aswell).  I will point you to a particularly helpful page, but be aware that this is a Google cached page as the original page no longer exists for reasons unknown, and I've no idea how long Google holds things in it's cache.

The page is here.  It is someone's journal or something, but there are hundreds of replies and you'll no doubt find what you need there.  If you don't, do the Google search I mentioned and look around.  There are a few programs ad-killing programs around that appear to work against the Lop toolbar, but I couldn't find one that didn't charge me for removing it from my system (though they'll happily detect it for you!!).

Hope this helps all who need the help and are finding, as I did, that reinstalling messenger or using Lop's own uninstaller weren't working.  I would stress though that you should try these methods first.

Good luck!
RE: i can not uninstalle the messenger plus by Patchou on 11-23-2004 at 06:52 AM

Well, as long as you did remove the toolbar, I guess it's a happy ending then :). I'll email C2Media about this, Idefinitively don't want this kind of problem to happen to other users.