Shoutbox

Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! (/showthread.php?tid=34373)

Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by matty on 11-12-2004 at 08:27 PM

Title says it all. Back on August 16th I preordered Halo2. What a big let down this was. The game has many bugs. The AI is stupid as hell and the game, as good as it was, was short and too easy to beat.

I personally feel the game was rushed. With FMV seens not being 3D rendered right away causing objects to appear as blocks, and Visible/Invisible dead characters. (I shot a guy with the snipper and he lay dead, so I moved to look somewhere else a few inches away and the dead guy was gone, so I looked back where he was dead and he reappeared.) The first time I loaded the game and started a Campaign the game wouldn't load, it just sat playing music at the loading screen. So I hit back and tried a few times before I was actually able to play it.

Now don't get me wrong but the game play was awesome, the ability to fire 2 guns at once is amazing. The graphics are amazing as well but when a game is hyped so much to the point of being getting the the title " The God of all Games" you expect a bit more from something. I personally feel the Bungie (Microsoft) let us down. I don't know about the rest of you but I am pretty disgusted.

The ending is pathetic and predictable, but I wont spoil it for those who haven't beaten it yet.

Matty

RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by user27089 on 11-12-2004 at 09:25 PM

I haven't yet got very far, but I do agree that the rendering takes to long, but personally, I think the AI is awesome, and the abilities that both sides have got are amazing. Bungie did a good job at creating this game. I haven't really had any problems whatsoever with the videos, loading or anything, the game for me is absolutely great, apart from the rendering in the fmv's of course.

RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by surfichris on 11-12-2004 at 09:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
but I do agree that the rendering takes to long
The specs of the Xbox, I mean like its generally only a 733mhz (right?),  compare nothing to PC's these days which is why the rendering takes so long..
RE: RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by Mike on 11-12-2004 at 09:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
The specs of the Xbox, I mean like its generally only a 733mhz (right?),  compare nothing to PC's these days which is why the rendering takes so long..

Oh really? :tongue:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=335488]
The picture is real!
We got this computer from 1996 :D

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
The ending is pathetic and predictable, but I wont spoil it for those who haven't beaten it yet.
You beat it in one week?!?! :shocked:

By the way i havent got it yet...
But I may...
I dunno right now... :S
RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by matty on 11-12-2004 at 09:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike2
You beat it in one week?!?!
Try 3 days, and the first 2 days I played max 4 hours combined
RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by Kryptonate on 11-12-2004 at 09:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike2
Oh really?

The picture is real!
We got this computer from 1996
he was talking about computers these days, not computers of 8 years ago :rolleyes:. Xbox is 3 (?) years old so the games they create now for Xbox have to use the technologie of 3 years ago while games created for pc can use more up-to-date technologies. That's why you can't compare the games anymore.
RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by Pr0xY on 11-12-2004 at 10:26 PM

Well I beat Halo2 in 3 days too, but it was more like 5 hours first day, 9 the second, and like 7 the third day.  The game loads fine for me, and the fact that it has over 2 hours of just cinima's, is just awesome, thats like a full feature film.  The opening cinima being 15 minutes long was also cool, it could have been better though.  The FMV's could/should have been worked on alittle bit more.  When/If a X-Box2 comes out, the game will prob. work ALOR better, since the tech. will be newer then the game.  But one can only hope...

RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by .blade// on 11-12-2004 at 11:15 PM

I think the game is pretty awesome.
The story is solid, game play is good, and IMO the AI isn't too too bad (though I chucked a grenade near a brute, he yelled "WATCH OUT, GRENADE!" then just stood there :P). My only real let down is that there is no ability to choose what game you want yo play on LIVE without creating a private game and inviting people manually.

Overall I think it's good, though there are several points where they should have worked a little more on.

Overall:
9.8/10 is my verdict.

BTW, I haven't really been trying to beat the game, but I don't know why you're taking so long. I'm on level 11 of 15 and I've only spent about 6 hours on campaign...

quote:
Originally posted by Pr0xY
  When/If a X-Box2 comes out, the game will prob. work ALOR better, since the tech. will be newer then the game.  But one can only hope...

The Xbox 2 IS comming out (Xenon), but word is it will use a different type of media, meaning there will be no back support for Xbox games...
RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by matty on 11-12-2004 at 11:31 PM

My problem with the AI is that they will get stuck trying to run through a wall and you just walk up behind them, plant a plasma gernade and run like hell.

RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by Vantage on 11-12-2004 at 11:42 PM

The Xbox 2 should show up around somewhere January 2006

RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by saralk on 11-13-2004 at 12:35 AM

i agree the AI is sometimes really stupid, for example you can use the battle rifle to aim at someones head, keep firing till uve gone through the shield, and then some. It'll never move.

RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by Underlord on 11-13-2004 at 01:07 AM

The AI is pretty good most of the time. Although, yes it is sometimes very stupid. For example one of my grunt allies was shooting a wall once and wouldn't move.

The game is still pretty good. Have you noticed some of the multiplayer levels are very similar to old ones? :)

RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by DJeX on 11-13-2004 at 05:33 AM

Halo 2 works great in my Xbox, amazing graphics and the AI seems to be good. Halo 2 is a great game. (Y) The live feature makes it better. :D

Haven't beaten it yet tho. :undecided:

RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by .blade// on 11-13-2004 at 05:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Vantage
The Xbox 2 should show up around somewhere January 2006

Spring 2006 actually, at earliest...

quote:
My problem with the AI is that they will get stuck trying to run through a wall and you just walk up behind them, plant a plasma gernade and run like hell.

I had that happen a couple times, but for the most part is good (I like what happens when you stare at your team mates for a while, or gives them a weapon with almost no ammo :P "That's not fair!" :P)

Anyways, I beat the game now and I have to say, the ending is gay. It climaxes and you think there's 1 or 2 levels after that, but there isn't....it's over :( But did you watch until after there credits? There's like a 15 seccond clip of that odd creature telling Cortana she's going to answer his questions now...
RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by .Roy on 11-13-2004 at 08:23 AM

u make the game sound so bad.. should i get it or should i not.. please tell me.. I dont want to be dissapointed :-)

RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by CookieRevised on 11-13-2004 at 09:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DureX
u make the game sound so bad.. should i get it or should i not.. please tell me.. I dont want to be dissapointed :-)
If you're in doubt now then you should better wait till the price drops (and maybe when the next version, with some bugfixes, will be released, although this is very hard to find out as it is almost never mentionned on the box)...
RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by user27089 on 11-13-2004 at 10:53 AM

quote:

Its a really good game in the long run, but in the end, the final decision is purely up to you, I bought this game, and I'm insanely glad that I bought it.
RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by .blade// on 11-13-2004 at 04:40 PM

quote:

Get it - overall it's worth it imo.

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
If you're in doubt now then you should better wait till the price drops (and maybe when the next version, with some bugfixes, will be released, although this is very hard to find out as it is almost never mentionned on the box)...

The price won't drop :-/ Halo 1 has cost $55 since it was released in 2001 :-/
RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by .Roy on 11-13-2004 at 04:44 PM

lol yes it does Halo 1 costs now around 30 bux...

RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by .blade// on 11-13-2004 at 04:47 PM

quote:
lol yes it does Halo 1 costs now around 30 bux...

Then it JUST went down, because up until now it has been $55 :dodgy:
RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by paperless on 11-13-2004 at 05:29 PM

quote:
Title says it all. Back on August 16th I preordered Halo2. What a big let down this was. The game has many bugs. The AI is stupid as hell and the game, as good as it was, was short and too easy to beat.

I personally feel the game was rushed. With FMV seens not being 3D rendered right away causing objects to appear as blocks, and Visible/Invisible dead characters. (I shot a guy with the snipper and he lay dead, so I moved to look somewhere else a few inches away and the dead guy was gone, so I looked back where he was dead and he reappeared.) The first time I loaded the game and started a Campaign the game wouldn't load, it just sat playing music at the loading screen. So I hit back and tried a few times before I was actually able to play it.

Now don't get me wrong but the game play was awesome, the ability to fire 2 guns at once is amazing. The graphics are amazing as well but when a game is hyped so much to the point of being getting the the title " The God of all Games" you expect a bit more from something. I personally feel the Bungie (Microsoft) let us down. I don't know about the rest of you but I am pretty disgusted.

Matty

80 bucks one ga,me? and i tought that a game here was expensive..

Im awaiting that game for PC so hard im ogna buy it in the first day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by .blade// on 11-13-2004 at 05:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by paperless

Im awaiting that game for PC so hard im ogna buy it in the first day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the collector's edition.
$80 Canadian Funds
$67 US Funds
51 Euros
RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by saralk on 11-13-2004 at 06:09 PM

quote:

You have to take currency conversion into account.

For example £1 roughly= $.50
RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by dotNorma on 11-13-2004 at 06:54 PM

I played Halo 2 multiplayer at a friends.

Suprisingly the controls were fairly simple for such a clogged controller. Only the "L" and "R" buttons and a control stick were really needed to play.

I didn't like the weird motion control/veiw control though. You have to use two seperate joysticks , one for walking and one for turning/aiming. It would of been easier to use Metroid Prime based controls.  I ended up using the energy sword or something like that the entire time for simplicity of control.

With the energy sword , no horrindous aiming is neccessairy and its a one hit kill. (Or perhaps it was my Zelda kicking in)

Overall it was an alright game , But it wasn't worth the huge fuss.

RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by CookieRevised on 11-14-2004 at 02:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
The price won't drop Halo 1 has cost $55 since it was released in 2001
quote:
It's the collector's edition.
$80 Canadian Funds
$67 US Funds
51 Euros
You may want to look around a bit. Prices drop all the time, even for just published games. And stores don't sell them all by the same price also...

eg: (all xbox versions)

On Amazon.com
Limited Edition Halo 2: $54.99 US
Normal Edition Halo 2: $44.99 US
Normal Edition Halo 1: $25.99 US

On Amazon.co.uk
Normal Edition Halo 2: $59.40 US

On Nedgame.com
Normal Edition Halo 2: $71.30 US

On Proxis
Limited Edition Halo 2: $81,63 US
Normal Edition Halo 2: $68.66 US
Normal Edition Halo 1: $75.14 US

etc... etc...

BIG TIP: If you're not a hardcore fan or you can not afford the money, look elsewhere in other stores and/or wait a bit, prices will vary much! Ordering something in backorder on the first occasion/site or store you visit, is almost always a bad idea and you will have spend too much money in the end... Stores know this also (that people want something instantly without waiting or looking around) and of course will sell it for a very high price.
RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by user27089 on 11-14-2004 at 04:40 PM

quote:

thats pretty cheap considering I payed £42.99 for the game, and whats the in US Dollars? I really like that game, and its worth the cash though...

my next purchase may be:

Chronicles of Riddick
Kingdom's Under Fire: The Crusaders
Prince of Persia 2 <when it comes out>
Need for Speed: Underground 2 <when it comes out>
RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by ShunterAlhena on 11-14-2004 at 09:26 PM

Does anybody know an estimated release date for Halo 2 PC?

RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by Underlord on 11-14-2004 at 10:19 PM

I've heard mid-2005

RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by paperless on 11-14-2004 at 10:51 PM

w00t???
BAH! Its the same thing with GTA San adreas and PS2..well..i eed a better PC anyway.. but my father needs to get a job first..my life is all a god damn sh*t ... My coomputer is completely outdated now the games look like they are getting slower as the time passes... lol..

RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by CookieRevised on 11-14-2004 at 11:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
quote:
thats pretty cheap considering I payed £42.99 for the game, and whats the in US Dollars?
that's $79.79 US

quote:
i need a better PC anyway.. but my father needs to get a job first
Why not get a weekend job yourself an earn the money to pay for a PC (or part of it)?
RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by .blade// on 11-14-2004 at 11:46 PM

Firstly, There is no confirmed Halo 2 for PC (and if there will be, it will be late 2005 AT EARLIEST).

Also, Cookie, I was stating that that's how much me/Matty paid for Halo 2 collector's edition, not how low you could get it for.

Also: If you buy the game in store, don't expect to get a discount :dodgy:

RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by CookieRevised on 11-15-2004 at 12:58 AM

quote:
Also, Cookie, I was stating that that's how much me/Matty paid for Halo 2 collector's edition, not how low you could get it for.
I replied to your statement that prices don't change, this also implied that your $80 would be roughly $80 everywhere...

Maybe my quotes of you didn't made that clear what I meant with it, sorry for that...

But my mean point is: look around before you buy, prices do change and are (very) different from store to store.

Of course, this doesn't apply to hard core fans who want everything at first hand as soon as possible, no matter what the costs are (not meant negative btw; I also bought stuff which I really wanted for lots of ping-ping while I could've waited or looked around first for cheaper prices).

quote:
Also: If you buy the game in store, don't expect to get a discount
Why not? I already know of one store here that will have a discount on Halo2....
RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by Pipish on 11-15-2004 at 07:05 AM

i personaly am looking forward to getting the game but is it worth trading thug and nsfu for it????

RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by .Roy on 11-15-2004 at 04:00 PM

ive made up my mind and im gonna go get it :-P Im waiting for my moms friends to come visit her so she brings along the game :-P

So far this is my list.. what else should i add
Halo 2
Halo
Fable

RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by martin on 11-15-2004 at 04:29 PM

im just going to rent the game, since i dont play my xbox very often.  to me the whole thing was a waste of $200

RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by user27089 on 11-15-2004 at 05:20 PM

quote:
ive made up my mind and im gonna go get it :-P Im waiting for my moms friends to come visit her so she brings along the game :-P

So far this is my list.. what else should i add
Halo 2
Halo
Fable
Wise choice of games mate, they're all awesome, although Fable finishes to quickly if you don't do all of the quests.. but heres a hint, if you don't skip the credits then you get to carry on playing, rather than not being able to play again... this way, you can complete a load of stuff aswell :).

RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by Joe on 11-15-2004 at 07:16 PM

Of course the AI is going to be horrible on Normal or easy.......:dodgy: and don't give me that "i was playing on legendary" $|-|!+

RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by Millenium_edition on 11-15-2004 at 07:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by atownjoe
Of course the AI is going to be horrible on Normal or easy.......:dodgy: and don't give me that "i was playing on legendary" $|-|!+
agreed. the AI in heroic is a bitch to surpass. and, besides a few minor bugs on my game, i haven't noticed anythng weird.
quote:
Originally posted by NoName

Suprisingly the controls were fairly simple for such a clogged controller. Only the "L" and "R" buttons and a control stick were really needed to play.

I didn't like the weird motion control/veiw control though. You have to use two seperate joysticks , one for walking and one for turning/aiming. It would of been easier to use Metroid Prime based controls.  I ended up using the energy sword or something like that the entire time for simplicity of control.

With the energy sword , no horrindous aiming is neccessairy and its a one hit kill. (Or perhaps it was my Zelda kicking in)

lol. you make me laugh, really. just cause you can't play it doesn't mean the game is shit. there is something like "settings", you know? ;)

and, blade, trust me, there always is discount even one month after :rolleyes:
RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by user27089 on 11-15-2004 at 07:26 PM

quote:

True, but surely if the AI isn't very good on it, as in they walk into walls and stuff and are stuck there, then its not really going to change much in Legendary in that region, the combat will change a huge amount though i'm positive.
RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by Joe on 11-15-2004 at 07:33 PM

apparently you haven't tried much legendary....
whole new experience.... and yes, they learn how to avoid walls in legendary and heroic :dodgy:

RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by user27089 on 11-15-2004 at 07:41 PM

quote:
apparently you haven't tried much legendary....
whole new experience.... and yes, they learn how to avoid walls in legendary and heroic :dodgy:

Ah good, so in legendary and heroic they give the aliens a bit of common sence to turn :S. IMO thats a bit lame that they made it so in easy and normal the aliens can't avoid walls, and get stuck easily... :dodgy:

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition

quote:
Originally posted by NoName

lol. you make me laugh, really. just cause you can't play it doesn't mean the game is shit. there is something like "settings", you know? ;)

and, blade, trust me, there always is discount even one month after :rolleyes:

Agreed, it annoys me when if people can't play something, or don't understand it, they tell everyone that its rubbish and that they hate it, IMO, this is just lame, and people should appreciate it cause its art in all aspects..
RE: Worst $80 bucks spent EVER! by Pyroteq on 11-16-2004 at 08:27 AM

Its a mad game, Yes the ending sucked and the storyline was sorta predictable but the multiplayer is awsome, and ledgendary is f-king hard, ive beat it only on easy,normal havnt tried heroic yet but i tried ledgendary and oh god..

I have never seen anyone get stuck on a wall =\

P.S energy sword pwnz :p