Shoutbox

Computer Noises!? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Computer Noises!? (/showthread.php?tid=34413)

Computer Noises!? by Maniac on 11-13-2004 at 11:49 PM

Alright, lately my computer has been acting very strangely. I usually turn it on when i get back from school (at around 4 pm) then shut it off in the morning (at around 7 am) ... now for some very odd reason, everytime i come back from school and turn it on, it makes a very loud freaky sound just like some car engine or something and it gets really loud at some points. I then keep shutting it off/putting it on, and only after a couple of tries (and sometimes smashing the case :$) does it boot silently... :/

Now i opened up the case and checked the fan.... it looked normal, i also noticed there were two fans, one on the cpu and one facing the outside... but they both look normal... so im not sure if its even the fans...

More... once the computer does boot normally, it brings me to the setup screen and highlights "cpu speed" and tells me to set it from 2667MHZ (which is what it has always been) to MANUAL because the computer hung from an improper cpu speed, i did that.... but i still have the problem and now it goes directly to cpu external frequency (set at 133/33) and says the same error....

So what should i do? Do i change the fans? Is it some other hardware problem? Cause I checked all the manuals i had about my pc... none talk about cpu specs....

RE: Computer Noises!? by Vazza on 11-14-2004 at 01:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ningc_Maniac
Alright, lately my computer has been acting very strangely. I usually turn it on when i get back from school (at around 4 pm) then shut it off in the morning (at around 7 am) ... now for some very odd reason, everytime i come back from school and turn it on, it makes a very loud freaky sound just like some car engine or something and it gets really loud at some points. I then keep shutting it off/putting it on, and only after a couple of tries (and sometimes smashing the case :$) does it boot silently... :/

The sound is probably coming from a fan. All you need to do is take it out and give it a little oil and it will be fine for a month or two. I had this problem too but I'll need to check which fan it was (I think it could have been the one facing out). Will get back to you.

RE: Computer Noises!? by Underlord on 11-14-2004 at 01:15 AM

Maybe your HDD is stuffed :).

RE: Computer Noises!? by Maniac on 11-14-2004 at 01:29 AM

Stuffed as in stuffed with dust? There IS a lot of dust inside but how can i clean it all safely without breaking anything?

RE: Computer Noises!? by ddunk on 11-14-2004 at 01:31 AM

Compressed air cans work wonders.

And I assume stuffed meaning screwed, lost, gone. :P

RE: Computer Noises!? by Maniac on 11-14-2004 at 01:45 AM

Oh.... well hopefully not.... i don't see why it would be though, this computer is fairly new :(

RE: Computer Noises!? by Hank on 11-14-2004 at 02:06 AM

quote:
Oh.... well hopefully not.... i don't see why it would be though, this computer is fairly new :(

if its a fan, there not much to buy a New one,  get a tech Guy to Diagnose it for you :)
RE: Computer Noises!? by Underlord on 11-14-2004 at 02:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
Compressed air cans work wonders.

My dad got one of those and it works quite well :).
RE: Computer Noises!? by marissa on 11-14-2004 at 02:49 AM

haha, i had this same problem and i also posted it on the forums, and guess what it was. A cd in the CD-ROM. :p you're probably not as stupid as me with that though, but you could check that ;)

RE: Computer Noises!? by Maniac on 11-14-2004 at 03:01 AM

:rofl: @ marissa

no no, this is a REALLY loud noise, i can hear it from quite far.... it's freaky :p

RE: Computer Noises!? by Underlord on 11-14-2004 at 03:07 AM

The northbridge fan on my Gigabyte motherboard used to make a huge noise and didn't spin properly on bootup, so i replaced it with a Zalman heatsink :).

RE: Computer Noises!? by Maniac on 11-14-2004 at 03:14 AM

Do all fans work on everything? or do i need to look for something specific to my motherboard?

RE: Computer Noises!? by Underlord on 11-14-2004 at 03:35 AM

Are you talking about a cpu fan?

RE: Computer Noises!? by Hank on 11-14-2004 at 04:27 AM

quote:
Do all fans work on everything? or do i need to look for something specific to my motherboard?

Depends what fan it is, heatsink, Cpu fan or any other fan, what you should do is Open the case up an  Listen for the Noise an where it maybe comming from
RE: Computer Noises!? by lizard.boy on 11-14-2004 at 05:08 AM

it could just be your fans running full speed for some reason, or faster than normal. the servers at my moms work sound like jet engines when the boot, and that only a 1u thing with like 40 mm fans.

when i clean out my computers i use my dads compresser. it gets dust out extreamly well, but the $350 can price tag isnt worth it. get air in a can.

RE: Computer Noises!? by Hank on 11-14-2004 at 07:34 AM

Just take the case off an listen while running the system

RE: Computer Noises!? by user35870 on 11-14-2004 at 11:34 AM

it wouldn't be the hard disk? because once my computer was making weird wining noises and it turned out to be the harddisk drive!

Hve u checked mycomputer> system> device manger to see if it says anything their?

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
could just be your fans running full speed for some reason[/quote

when my computer first starts up it is very noiseay but after about 5 mins it gos normal :)

RE: Computer Noises!? by Hank on 11-14-2004 at 11:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Demandred

Just fo as i suggested an take off the case an listen :)

quote:
Originally posted by chris100
t wouldn't be the hard disk? because once my computer was making weird wining noises and it turned out to be the harddisk drive!

Hve u checked mycomputer> system> device manger to see if it says anything their?

RE: Computer Noises!? by NeoRevan on 11-14-2004 at 12:57 PM

I am having this problem also. I cant be arsed to take off the case to listen tho, because the wiring where my computer is makes it virtually impossible to actually SEE the case once its connected, unless I pull out my ENTIRE comp desk...
I am getting my computer completely upgraded in like 20 days anyways, so I will ask those guys to take a look at it :)

RE: Computer Noises!? by user27089 on 11-14-2004 at 01:02 PM

quote:
what you should do is Open the case up an  Listen for the Noise an where it maybe comming from
quote:
quote:

Just fo as i suggested an take off the case an listen :)

Listen to the guy, take the case off, find out where the sound is coming, and we'll tell u waht to do fully.
RE: Computer Noises!? by Maniac on 11-15-2004 at 11:28 PM

Lol.... the guy is insisting, that's what i shall do.... i guess i should shut off my comp now so it can start getting noisy when i wake up.... lol

RE: Computer Noises!? by Hank on 11-16-2004 at 01:45 AM

quote:
Lol.... the guy is insisting, that's what i shall do.... i guess i should shut off my comp now so it can start getting noisy when i wake up.... lol

if the Noise is that bad, it also could be ball bearings, i recently had to get my comp looked at  due to a Noise , luckily the parts that had to be replaced was still under warranty ( not that it would have mattered ) but the noise can be comming from a Fault in the Bearings somewhere  fans etc.
RE: Computer Noises!? by .Roy on 11-16-2004 at 12:14 PM

open the computer up then lay it out (dont touch anything) and you will hear what the problem is.. Hardrives make just as much noise as the fans.. But it never sounds like an engine.. Turn on your computer once its layed out in front of u and look for any defects.. Maybe the fan is touching something.. Anything.. Then post it here and we will see what we can do to help :-)

RE: Computer Noises!? by paperless on 11-17-2004 at 06:52 PM

lol i had a probe like this like 2 weeks ago with the energy fan, but even with oil and with(the machine some people use after the bath) to take some wsuperficial dust, well the "OMFG its so loud" noise is resolved but it stills doing a ittle bit noise it didnt do before.. well..

To put the oil ofcourse i didnt open the (arrgh.. its the thing that gives energy to ya computer) but it has some holes and with a little pipe that u attach to the oil spray i could put it in the right place.

Look, to discover where the noise comes from open the case and turn on the computer.

But as the computer is new u probably cant open it coz of guarantee, contact the company where you bought it from.

I am 99% sure the sound comes from there, and as any fan probe IT IS VERY NOISY BELIEVE ME people, i didnt use the comp while it was like that coz it was impossible to do anything on the comp with that friccking noise

RE: Computer Noises!? by Maniac on 11-22-2004 at 08:43 PM

Alright, i know now for a fact it's the power supply fan... but it became constant this thing never shuts the fuck up, i'm listening to REALLY LOUD music now and i can still her the fan, it's really scary.

I was gonna open the power supply case then saw this little warning saying danger blablabla.... will anything happen if i open it and clean the fan? :s