Shoutbox

Where did the extra mem come from - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Where did the extra mem come from (/showthread.php?tid=34449)

Where did the extra mem come from by _Humphreys on 11-14-2004 at 06:09 PM

I have had this p.c. for a while and in dxdiag it has always said approx mem : 4.0 MB but now it says 32MB where did the extra 28MB come from and is this the graphics card MB as well?

[Image: dxdiag.jpg]

RE: Where did the extra mem come from by user13774 on 11-14-2004 at 09:32 PM

For me it says 'total memory: 128 mb', so I don't know why it even says approx. for you. I guess 32 mb is the right amount of mb for ur graphic card, not 4.... :dodgy:

RE: Where did the extra mem come from by CookieRevised on 11-14-2004 at 11:35 PM

Did you installed something recently which needed an update of DirectX? Things like games, graphic programs, or even Windows fixes and updates (SP2 for example)?

It is quit possible that your DirectX drivers were updated and that the previous ones couldn't reconize your graphics card properly and thus gave a faulty result. Even now, it indicates that your total memory on the graphics card can't be read properly because of the "approximate".

PS: btw, what kind of screen do you got? A CRT or a TFT/Plasma? Because 60Hz for a 1024x768 resolution CRT screen would be very low (and bad for the eyes).

RE: Where did the extra mem come from by _Humphreys on 11-15-2004 at 08:11 AM

I use a massive crt monior with 1024 X 768 res. I have just installed XP sp2 but I can't understand this as I haven't customized my pc ever. I have never replaced the graphics card and I installed D.X. 9.0 a while back now.

RE: Where did the extra mem come from by ninja on 11-15-2004 at 08:25 AM

Get a LCD monitor :D

As for the vid mem, its possible your PC is an OEM, and that you have changed a bios setting that tells the system how much memory to reserve for vid card :D

RE: Where did the extra mem come from by CookieRevised on 11-15-2004 at 10:13 AM

1) DirectX 9.0 is old and SP2 came with an update (9.0b or something)
2) For a CRT and using that resolution you should at least config it to 75Hz, if not 85Hz (depending on the age/type/model)

RE: Where did the extra mem come from by user13774 on 11-15-2004 at 11:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
1) DirectX 9.0 is old and SP2 came with an update (9.0b or something)

DirectX 9.0c :gfdrin: :wink:
RE: Where did the extra mem come from by _Humphreys on 11-15-2004 at 12:59 PM

How do you change the Hz of the monitor? I suppose I will just have to test out a game that needs a graphics card of 4 and over.