Shoutbox

[Suggestion] Save text files with the Unicode character set - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: [Suggestion] Save text files with the Unicode character set (/showthread.php?tid=34478)

[Suggestion] Save text files with the Unicode character set by ~*McoreD*~ on 11-16-2004 at 02:37 AM

Hi Patchou,

It would be great have General Options > Save text files with the Unicode character set as default. Unicode character set includes all the charaters in ANSI character set and more, so I guess this will be a better option.

Much appreciated,

Thanks,
McoreD

RE: [Suggestion] Save text files with the Unicode character set by ddunk on 11-16-2004 at 02:41 AM

If you open the preferences window from the contact list, the option right near the center (the only radio buttons) is the option to choose which character set you would like to save in :)

RE: [Suggestion] Save text files with the Unicode character set by Patchou on 11-16-2004 at 02:48 AM

The Unicode option is not enabled by default for backward compatibility reasons. Some people may want to copy their logs on a Windows 98/ME station and would wonder why the file cannot be opened. Also, Unicode takes twice the space and people who chat a lot may be bothered by that.

RE: [Suggestion] Save text files with the Unicode character set by ~*McoreD*~ on 11-16-2004 at 02:58 AM

Thanks for the justification, Patchou. I didn't really think about those difficulties.  :)

RE: [Suggestion] Save text files with the Unicode character set by RaceProUK on 11-16-2004 at 09:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
The Unicode option is not enabled by default for backward compatibility reasons. Some people may want to copy their logs on a Windows 98/ME station and would wonder why the file cannot be opened. Also, Unicode takes twice the space and people who chat a lot may be bothered by that.
How about using UTF-8 encoding? For text that uses only ASCII characters, there is no discernable difference between UTF-8 and ASCII.