Shoutbox

plus uninstalling itself - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: plus uninstalling itself (/showthread.php?tid=34487)

plus uninstalling itself by ohyoureDIVINE on 11-16-2004 at 05:06 PM

So, Messenger Plus! used to work all fantastically until I upgraded MSN Messenger (This was a long time ago, too) to version 6.2, which is the version in which I am currently running.

It lets me install Plus! and it works just fine until I turn off my computer. Then, when I turn my computer back on-- plus has uninstalled itself. Anyone have any idea why this is happening? It's really starting to irritate me. Before, I thought that it was just Plus! conflicting with the new version, but this version of MSN isn't so new anymore so that couldn't be the case.

Any/all suggestions are highly appreciated. I have NO idea why this is happening and I really, really want Plus! back.

Oh, and I have Windows Millenium Edition, if that matters.

Thanks!

<3
Brianne.

RE: plus uninstalling itself by user27089 on 11-16-2004 at 07:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ohyoureDIVINE
So, Messenger Plus! used to work all fantastically until I upgraded MSN Messenger (This was a long time ago, too) to version 6.2, which is the version in which I am currently running.

It lets me install Plus! and it works just fine until I turn off my computer. Then, when I turn my computer back on-- plus has uninstalled itself. Anyone have any idea why this is happening? It's really starting to irritate me. Before, I thought that it was just Plus! conflicting with the new version, but this version of MSN isn't so new anymore so that couldn't be the case.

Any/all suggestions are highly appreciated. I have NO idea why this is happening and I really, really want Plus! back.

Thanks!

<3
Brianne.

as far as I know, when you repair or update messenger, you have to reinstall msgplus again....
RE: plus uninstalling itself by Plik on 11-16-2004 at 07:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
as far as I know, when you repair or update messenger, you have to reinstall msgplus again....
Thats wrong, you can leave plus installed as long as it is compatable with the Messenger version.
Do you have the latest version of plus. 3.25 i think?
RE: RE: plus uninstalling itself by ohyoureDIVINE on 11-16-2004 at 10:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by madman66
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Thats wrong, you can leave plus installed as long as it is compatable with the Messenger version.
Do you have the latest version of plus. 3.25 i think?

Yes, I have the most recent version of plus, 3.25.
RE: plus uninstalling itself by Sunshine on 11-16-2004 at 10:26 PM

Do you have any programs running that will stop "unnecessary" programs/processes from running?

RE: RE: plus uninstalling itself by ohyoureDIVINE on 11-17-2004 at 08:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Do you have any programs running that will stop "unnecessary" programs/processes from running?

I don't believe I do (aka: If I do, I have no idea they exist on my computer).
RE: plus uninstalling itself by _Humphreys on 11-17-2004 at 08:26 AM

Did you install the sponsor file and then try to take it out with something like Ad-Aware. If so you might of damaged some plus files and I would suggest uninstalling plus! Then reinstalling it with the sponsor then uninstalling it when you try to uninstall it you will get a number/letter image. Type in the letters/numbers exactly as you see them into the image into the box below. Next you can reinstall plus! with out the sponsor and everything should work perfectly.:)

RE: plus uninstalling itself by Underlord on 11-17-2004 at 08:36 AM

quote:

Thanks!

<3
Brianne.

It hasn't uninstalled itself. It probably just isn't hooking.
Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete in 98 or Ctrl + Shift + Esc in 2000/XP to go into Task Manager and see if Msgplus.exe is in the list.
If is has loaded but is still not showing up in Messenger: go into Plus! --> Preferences --> Miscellanous and select Force Messenger Plus! to load when computer starts
RE: RE: plus uninstalling itself by ohyoureDIVINE on 11-17-2004 at 04:08 PM

quote:
It hasn't uninstalled itself. It probably just isn't hooking.
Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete in 98 or Ctrl + Shift + Esc in 2000/XP to go into Task Manager and see if Msgplus.exe is in the list.
If is has loaded but is still not showing up in Messenger: go into Plus! --> Preferences --> Miscellanous and select Force Messenger Plus! to load when computer starts

Good thing I know it's ctrl+alt+del in ME, since you didn't mention that one.

I've been installing plus everytime I get on the computer, so I actually didn't get to do that step-- I did go into Plus! > Prefs > Misc and the "force messenger plus! to load when computer starts" is already checked. Besides, if Plus wasn't showing up in messenger... wouldn't I not be capable of clicking the "plus" tab on top of the MSN messenger main window? Cause yeah, it's definitely not there until I re-install plus.

quote:
Originally posted by Attitude Extreme
Did you install the sponsor file and then try to take it out with something like Ad-Aware. If so you might of damaged some plus files and I would suggest uninstalling plus! Then reinstalling it with the sponsor then uninstalling it when you try to uninstall it you will get a number/letter image. Type in the letters/numbers exactly as you see them into the image into the box below. Next you can reinstall plus! with out the sponsor and everything should work perfectly.:)

I haven't run Ad-Aware since I installed it, and I actually didn't install the sponsor file like the first four times I've installed Plus! I did like two times after that, but I never got that stupid toolbar to begin with so I don't think the sponsor file even got added to my computer at all.
RE: plus uninstalling itself by CookieRevised on 11-17-2004 at 11:47 PM

quote:
Besides, if Plus wasn't showing up in messenger... wouldn't I not be capable of clicking the "plus" tab on top of the MSN messenger main window? Cause yeah, it's definitely not there until I re-install plus.
No, Plus! can still be running (or being installed for that matter) without you seeing a menu. Do as Underlord suggested. When you boot up your PC, and without reinstalling Plus! first, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and check if there is a process named msgplus.exe. If not, then check your registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
for any entries of Messenger Plus!.

Also, another question, do you have administration rights on your account where you want to use Plus!.

Also, look at the directory where you previously installed Messenger Plus!, is it still there...

In short, answer these questions one by one, without reinstalling Plus! first:
1) Do you have a process names msgplus.exe after a reboot
2) Is Messenger Plus! listed in one of the run-sections of the registry
3) Do you have administration rights on the account where you want to use Plus!.
4) Is the directory of Messenger Plus! still there after rebooting.

RE: plus uninstalling itself by ShawnZ on 11-17-2004 at 11:51 PM

but he said to fix it to go into plus preferences, which arent there atm, cookie

RE: plus uninstalling itself by CookieRevised on 11-17-2004 at 11:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shawnz
but he said to fix it to go into plus preferences, which arent there atm, cookie
what are you talking about? Please reread this thread....
RE: plus uninstalling itself by ShawnZ on 11-17-2004 at 11:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Underlord

RE: plus uninstalling itself by CookieRevised on 11-18-2004 at 12:14 AM

That's something Underlord has said, not me.

quote:
Originally posted by Shawnz

And Underlord meant:
If it is still not showing up in Messenger after you reboot your PC, but it has loaded and hooked when you reinstall it then go into Plus! --> Preferences --> Miscellanous and select Force Messenger Plus! to load when computer starts.
RE: plus uninstalling itself by ShawnZ on 11-18-2004 at 01:42 AM

ya i was talking about what underlord said:s forget it

RE: RE: plus uninstalling itself by ohyoureDIVINE on 11-18-2004 at 05:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
No, Plus! can still be running (or being installed for that matter) without you seeing a menu. Do as Underlord suggested. When you boot up your PC, and without reinstalling Plus! first, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and check if there is a process named msgplus.exe. If not, then check your registry:
and
for any entries of Messenger Plus!.

Also, another question, do you have administration rights on your account where you want to use Plus!.

Also, look at the directory where you previously installed Messenger Plus!, is it still there...

In short, answer these questions one by one, without reinstalling Plus! first:
1) Do you have a process names msgplus.exe after a reboot
2) Is Messenger Plus! listed in one of the run-sections of the registry
3) Do you have administration rights on the account where you want to use Plus!.
4) Is the directory of Messenger Plus! still there after rebooting.

msgplus.exe isn't located in the CTRL+ALT+DEL thing at all. Not even when I've re-installed Plus! and have it running, for that matter.

I don't know what a registry is... Sorry if I'm ignorant/naive or something, but I honestly have *no* idea as to what you're referring to. Additionally, I don't know what you mean by "Administration Rights." This computer only has one user, the one that both my mother and I run off of.. so... ? I don't know what that means.

1) Nope.
2) I don't know. >.<
3) My guess is yes, since this computer has one user, one internet sign-on name.. etc.
4) I'll edit this comment to answer this question after I'm done doing what I'm currently doing. =)
RE: plus uninstalling itself by Hank on 11-18-2004 at 05:37 AM

What Operating system are you using? XP/2000 ? Me/98/95 ?

RE: plus uninstalling itself by ohyoureDIVINE on 11-18-2004 at 06:24 AM

quote:
What Operating system are you using? XP/2000 ? Me/98/95 ?

ME. I do believe I said that in my original post.
RE: plus uninstalling itself by CookieRevised on 11-18-2004 at 11:28 AM

quote:
msgplus.exe isn't located in the CTRL+ALT+DEL thing at all. Not even when I've re-installed Plus! and have it running, for that matter.
Look into the processes tab. Don't look into the application tab.

quote:
I don't know what a registry is...
Oh, sorry... Well do this:
1) Press your Windows Start button
2) Click on Run
3) Type: regedit
4) Press enter, and the registry editor will be started up. Now navigate to the following keys. You'll find that the structure is a simple (but big) tree-like structure, so this shouldn't be the problem:
and
5) When you're there, look in the right window and look if you can find a listing named "MessengerPlus3"
6) So do this for the both registry paths given in step 4.

quote:
Additionally, I don't know what you mean by "Administration Rights." This computer only has one user, the one that both my mother and I run off of.. so... ? I don't know what that means.
It indeed proberly means your account has administrating right. Administrating rights mean that you have to most "power" over other accounts on your PC and can configure and do anything (eg: if you're admin, you could restrict other accounts from using certain programs)
RE: RE: plus uninstalling itself by ohyoureDIVINE on 11-18-2004 at 03:58 PM

quote:
Look into the processes tab. Don't look into the application tab.

ME isn't like XP at all, there are no tabs.

quote:
1) Press your Windows Start button
2) Click on Run
3) Type: regedit
4) Press enter, and the registry editor will be started up. Now navigate to the following keys. You'll find that the structure is a simple (but big) tree-like structure, so this shouldn't be the problem:
and
5) When you're there, look in the right window and look if you can find a listing named "MessengerPlus3"
6) So do this for the both registry paths given in step 4.

Under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry, there's "MessengerPlus" but it's not "MessengerPlus3" ... Hmmm.
Under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry, there *is* "MessengerPlus3."

quote:
Administrating rights mean that you have to most "power" over other accounts on your PC and can configure and do anything (eg: if you're admin, you could restrict other accounts from using certain programs)

I'm pretty sure that's another XP thing...
RE: plus uninstalling itself by greendaysk8r on 11-19-2004 at 05:08 PM

I've had the exact same problem but for XP.
I've tried pretty much everything thats been said here and STILL no luck. Plz plz plz someone help me. I don't mind adding anyone to MSN Messenger to talk quickly just aslong as they can help me. Any replies/feedback would be greatley appreciated.

Thankyou!

RE: plus uninstalling itself by ohyoureDIVINE on 11-20-2004 at 02:42 AM

quote:
I've had the exact same problem but for XP.

well, that rules out my potential theory of "oh well maybe plus hates me 'cause i don't have XP"
RE: plus uninstalling itself by lukes on 12-03-2004 at 08:30 AM

First at all you have to excuse my poor english:$
now i had the same problem after reboot i wasn't able to found  plus.so I have switch my ad-watch to manual mode 'nd i've discovered that it was stopping any changes in the registry at the voice of messenger so windows every time had to load (not sure about this is correct :)) the "normal" version. So probably you have some software for registry protection. in this case you can

1) Do the changes in the registry manually (very bad thing)
2) Switch the softwar to manual control and grant the permission to change the registry key after you install plus! (it seems that plus change the same key in the register evry time you start it)
3) Unistal software for registry, install plus, reboot, reinstall software for register
:S:S hope i'm right

Another thing when i had the problem of uninstall i had 2 user in win. i had to cancel the second one (for other reason) but don't thing this is a matter.
Bye 'nd sorry again for my "Maccaronical" English

RE: plus uninstalling itself by greendaysk8r on 12-03-2004 at 12:11 PM

Don't worry about your english, mate. It's fine :)
I tried that and still no luck :(
I think its because I have several users on this computer....Oh well!
Its now become routene to install Messenger Plus every time I log on :P
Thanks for the help anyway!

RE: plus uninstalling itself by Sunshine on 12-03-2004 at 12:20 PM

greendaysk8r : as you are using windows XP, have you tried installing Plus! on the administrator account? To be sure you have the account with all priviledges boot into safemode and choose the account called "administrator". After installing plus! onthere go back to your regular account and see if the problem is solved, if not reinstall plus! there aswell. If nothing else works you can force plus! to load on startup as described earlier on in this thread or place plus! in your startupfolder.

Edit: yw :D

RE: plus uninstalling itself by greendaysk8r on 12-03-2004 at 12:22 PM

I have administrator on my account, so i dont think thats the problem. Ill try sticking it on the start-up folder thing. thanks :)

RE: plus uninstalling itself by CookieRevised on 12-03-2004 at 02:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by greendaysk8r
Its now become routene to install Messenger Plus every time I log on
I would find it very strange that Plus! will uninstall itself after you've installed it. I think you mean: Plus! doesn't start up when I boot up in Windows. Big difference there. It also means, that you don't need to install Plus! every time, but simple start it up, just like Sunshine said:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
If nothing else works you can force plus! to load on startup as described earlier on in this thread or place plus! in your startupfolder.

To make sure that Plus! stays installed, do the following and report back to us:
1) Restart your Computer
2) Install Plus!, like you're used to do. Remember the directory where you've install it to.
3) Restart your computer again
4) Now, do not reinstall Plus! again, but instead go to the directory where you previously installed Plus! (in step 2). Check if it is still there...

Now report back here if Plus! was still in that directory or not...
RE: plus uninstalling itself by greendaysk8r on 12-03-2004 at 02:20 PM

Yes its still in the directory. what im doing when i re-install is installing over the original one..if that makes sense

RE: plus uninstalling itself by lukes on 12-03-2004 at 05:05 PM

when i had this problem i've controlled the directory nd in the register nd every thing seemed ok; i had installed as admin but i had anothe user . when i've reinstalled i had just canceled the second user now if isn't a problem in the register maybe the other user? if you install msg plus for every user?

RE: plus uninstalling itself by greendaysk8r on 12-03-2004 at 05:10 PM

hmm u cud be on to something there...ill ask my dad when he's home. ty