Shoutbox

HELP INSTALL LEXMARK!! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: HELP INSTALL LEXMARK!! (/showthread.php?tid=34497)

HELP INSTALL LEXMARK!! by TheFrank on 11-16-2004 at 10:41 PM

alright, today, i tried to scan, i got this error, and here whats the error is.....

and i'd liek to know why this is showing up... i un-installed it, and i tried re-installing it, but that showed up!! :(

AND IM ALSO RUNNING ON WIN XP... fyi!... IMO its just a dumb bug in the installation, but it ownt let me install.... so thx in advance, plz help

RE: HELP INSTALL LEXMARK!! by wj on 11-16-2004 at 10:51 PM

Steps to install a Lexmark Printer (Generic)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a) Disconnect Printer
b) Wrap space ethernet cable arround the printer (nice and securly)
c) Tie to trailer hitch or something so the printer sits on ground outside your car
d) Drive to Office Depot, Frys, Office Max, etc.... Attempt to retun the printer
e) Regardless of the success of step d, purchase a HP, Epson, or Cannon printer that will actually work for more then the first week.

RE: HELP INSTALL LEXMARK!! by Tochjo on 11-16-2004 at 10:54 PM

A friend of mine had the problem once as well. Replacing the file helped. See http://www.oldmp.com/forms/download/xpservicepack2.htm :)

RE: HELP INSTALL LEXMARK!! by TheFrank on 11-17-2004 at 12:23 AM

none of it worked.....

but thx for trying

RE: HELP INSTALL LEXMARK!! by TheFrank on 11-17-2004 at 12:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a) Disconnect Printer
c) Tie to trailer hitch or something so the printer sits on ground outside your car
d) Drive to Office Depot, Frys, Office Max, etc.... Attempt to retun the printer
e) Regardless of the success of step d, purchase a HP, Epson, or Cannon printer that will actually work for more then the first week.

plus dude, i dont have money to spend on another printer... my parents wont lend me money!!:P

RE: HELP INSTALL LEXMARK!! by Hank on 11-17-2004 at 01:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TheFrank
quote:
Originally posted by wj

a) Disconnect Printer

plus dude, i dont have money to spend on another printer... my parents wont lend me money!!:P

Google for an answer otherwise your out of luck,

RE: HELP INSTALL LEXMARK!! by .blade// on 11-17-2004 at 01:56 AM

Actually, my X83 broke down a couple months back (still under extended warranty). I called them, told them it didn't work and like 5 minutes later a cheque was sent out to me. I used the FULL PURCHASE PRICE to get a brand new HP 7760 Photosmart printer :refuck:

Where'd you buy yours and did you get an extended warranty.

Also: Have you tried un-installing the driver, then checking for a new one on the Lexmark website?

RE: HELP INSTALL LEXMARK!! by WDZ on 11-17-2004 at 04:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wj

a) Disconnect Printer
StaffSpam! :dodgy:

My Lexmark has been working fine for the better part of a year. The only time I had a problem was when a pen fell into the opening where you load the paper, and it got jammed. :p
RE: HELP INSTALL LEXMARK!! by Underlord on 11-17-2004 at 06:40 AM

On my Brother Multifunction Laser Printer the paper kept jamming and i couldn't work out why :dodgy:. Then i realised there was a pen in the paper loader.

RE: HELP INSTALL LEXMARK!! by Hank on 11-17-2004 at 07:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
extended warranty.

the word "Extended warranty" woulda worried me , specially being lexmark,

RE: HELP INSTALL LEXMARK!! by matty on 11-17-2004 at 04:43 PM

The autoexec.nt file is used to allow MS-DOS based applications to run on Non-Dos Based Operating Systems. (NT4/2000/X{/2003 Server) As we all know these Operating Systems are NT based and not DOS based.

To fix this issue you need to expand a new file from the install directory.

If you are using an OEM based PC (HP, Compaq, Dell, IBM, Toshiba etc) then do this.
Click Start
Click Run
Type expand c:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

If it doesn't work try another location
c:\windows\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

If both of these fail then try using an install cd
Click Start
Click Run
Type expand %cdrom_drive%:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

Where %cdrom_drive% is the drive letter where the CD is inserted.

Matty

RE: HELP INSTALL LEXMARK!! by CookieRevised on 11-18-2004 at 10:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
The autoexec.nt file is used to allow MS-DOS based applications to run on Non-Dos Based Operating Systems. (NT4/2000/X{/2003 Server) As we all know these Operating Systems are NT based and not DOS based.
Indeed, but IMO, this is the exact problem. I think TheFrank installed a 16-bit driver (AKA DOS driver) instead of the 32-bit Windows driver.

TheFrank, make absolutely sure you install the correct driver. You'll often find different drivers with the installation disc/cdrom, installing them all isn't needed and will even result in errors. Make sure you install the 32-bit driver, and if possible and included, even install the WinXP/NT driver instead.
RE: HELP INSTALL LEXMARK!! by matty on 11-18-2004 at 04:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Indeed, but IMO, this is the exact problem. I think TheFrank installed a 16-bit driver (AKA DOS driver) instead of the 32-bit Windows driver.

TheFrank, make absolutely sure you install the correct driver. You'll often find different drivers with the installation disc/cdrom, installing them all isn't needed and will even result in errors. Make sure you install the 32-bit driver, and if possible and included, even install the WinXP/NT driver instead.
But you will get this error when you TRY to run the installer. Here Cook do this test. Download any version of AVG. Rename your autoexec.nt file to autoexec.nt_ or something and try to run the intaller. That message is the same thing TheFrank gets.
RE: HELP INSTALL LEXMARK!! by CookieRevised on 11-18-2004 at 11:23 PM

quote:
Download any version of AVG. Rename your autoexec.nt file to autoexec.nt_ or something and try to run the intaller. That message is the same thing TheFrank gets.
I once installed AVG, no problems at all. Also, I don't have an autoexec.nt, so nothing to rename.... :(

Isn't autoexec.nt only used when you run a pure 16-bit program? In other words, the driver which has been installed (or tried to install) is 16-bit, which is the wrong version. So in fact, you could solve the error, but this will not solve the problem. He need to install a 32-bit driver, not the DOS driver...

see also http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767