Shoutbox

MSN7 security holes? about Activities & Games downloading control - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: MSN7 security holes? about Activities & Games downloading control (/showthread.php?tid=34550)

MSN7 security holes? about Activities & Games downloading control by ChrisTorng on 11-18-2004 at 06:37 AM

I found that MSN Messenger 7.0.0425, using Activities & Games (like File Sharing), will not ask for download and install ActiveX control... It just download and install automatically... without any warning or confirming... I think MSN Messenger 6 had it... If I use a 3rd party Activities & Games, to invitate anyone, and he accept, then I can install any control to his computer? I can use the normal MSN games name and html page (with an extra control), then others just think he is playing a normal MSN game... without knowning the hidden control just installed...

RE: MSN7 security holes? about Activities & Games downloading control by Underlord on 11-18-2004 at 06:41 AM

The other person also have to have the references to the third party games, i believe.

RE: MSN7 security holes? about Activities & Games downloading control by ChrisTorng on 11-19-2004 at 01:50 AM

Ok... understand... But why Microsoft have the right to skip the "should have" security warning? Microsoft can silently install other ones with other ways? I think that any installation should ask for user's confirmation. I can't reject those ActiveX games and just accept jscript or flash ones. And then if I use games.mess.be, then they can install any control in my computer too.