Shoutbox

msn messenger loads very very slowly - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: msn messenger loads very very slowly (/showthread.php?tid=34555)

msn messenger loads very very slowly by ronanyello on 11-18-2004 at 10:02 AM

here is my idea about what would have caused the problem:

while installing never versions of msgplus or msn messenger, i never unistalled the former. even while updating from msgplus 2 to msgplus 3, i did not uninstall the old version. (i suspect this might be the problem as i accidentally saw some registry entries that probably belong to msgplus 2 yesterday)

i don't remember if i accidentally installed the sponsor program in former installations of msgplus. even so, i might have cleaned it using spybot or adaware.

with these suspections in mind, i have been searching this forum for more than 2 hours. i read tens of threads including hundreds of messages posted by many many users before. according to the suggestions to similar problems (and some suggestions to problems that are not so similar to mine :) ) here is what i have tried so far:

1- i uninstalled msg plus. msn messenger alone still loads very slowly.
2- i reinstalled msg plus with the sponsor program, and uninstalled it, then installed without the sponsor program, just in case there are some junk files from a possible adaware-spybot removal of sponsor program. nothing changed.
3- i uninstalled all plugins, then disabled plugin download. nothing changed.
4- i ghosted my whole hard disk to another one, tried with the same computer, another computer with a very very similar configuration (only monitor is different!). and i even used my old hard disk with a computer which is quite different than mine (an intel based one), made hardware new configurations, installed the new drivers and removed the old ones. all other programs worked perfect, msn messenger still loads veeeeery slowly.

although not with the exact hardware configuration, i installed all my major programs with msgplus (windows xp sp2, norton utilities 2003 including personal firewall antivirus ghost etc, spybot with teatimer and resident ie function turned on, adaware personal,..) to different configurations including a brand new laptop and 2 other desktop computers before. none of them had a better configuration than my computer, but they load msn messenger in -at most- 2 seconds.

i even installed msgplus to a very old computer (p3 450 with windows me installed) of my mother just in case i use it sometime. it works well.

i really love the capabilities of this program, and have been using it since v2, it really drives me mad to see my super-fast computer cannot initialise a simple instant messenger in 30 seconds!

any suggestions? ("format c:\" is not an acceptable one)

RE: msn messenger loads very very slowly by Sunshine on 11-18-2004 at 10:20 AM

Defrag time :D (do that in safemode..it's heaps faster..no interfering progs or processes)

Also make sure that the partition (on wich msn messenger is installed) isn't too full..less then a quarter free space slows it down and may cause your computer to freeze.

RE: msn messenger loads very very slowly by Underlord on 11-18-2004 at 10:22 AM

Updating from 2 to 3 would not be the problem :).
All the Plus! 3 keys are named in the registry as 2 to keep compatibility with certain plugins and such, i believe.

As for the reason why it is running slowly i don't know.
Could you please supply your complete MSN Messenger and Plus! versions?

RE: msn messenger loads very very slowly by CookieRevised on 11-18-2004 at 10:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ronanyello
1- i uninstalled msg plus. msn messenger alone still loads very slowly.
So, in your case it isn't a Messenger Plus! problem at all, but a pure Messenger related problem...

Do as Underlord asks and supply us with all the versions (complete version numbers) of MSN Messenger you used and in which system.

What Sunshine said is also quite possible, if a HD has become to fragmented it can slow down a simple start up process significantly.

RE: msn messenger loads very very slowly by ronanyello on 11-18-2004 at 03:31 PM

i defragment all discs once a month using norton speeddisk.

msn: 6.2.0137
msgplus: 3.25.106

RE: msn messenger loads very very slowly by ronanyello on 11-24-2004 at 05:32 PM

ok thanks for the great help. at least tell me this:

my msgplus is set to check my pop3 account every 60 minutes. however, when i am trying to recieve my new e-mails from outlook gives an error most of the time, telling me that there is something else trying to contact with server. as i own the mail server i use, i checked who is logging on to my account and guess who: me! i highly suspect that this is a msgplus related problem. any ideas?

RE: msn messenger loads very very slowly by CookieRevised on 11-24-2004 at 05:59 PM

My pop3 is checked by Plus! every minute. Yet, I never received any error while I'm checking my pop3 with my own mailclient and/or outlook express.

(Same Plus! and Messenger version)

RE: RE: msn messenger loads very very slowly by Sunshine on 11-24-2004 at 06:49 PM

quote:
ok thanks for the great help. at least tell me this:

my msgplus is set to check my pop3 account every 60 minutes. however, when i am trying to recieve my new e-mails from outlook gives an error most of the time, telling me that there is something else trying to contact with server. as i own the mail server i use, i checked who is logging on to my account and guess who: me! i highly suspect that this is a msgplus related problem. any ideas?

Are you constantly connected to your mailserver? Or is it plus! connecting with it at the time you try to download your e-mail into outlook, how do you download it to outlook..by clickin the link in MSN messenger or manually?
RE: msn messenger loads very very slowly by ronanyello on 12-21-2004 at 07:02 AM

ok. here are the two errors that i ripped from the systen log in event viewer:

1)

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    DCOM
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    10010
Date:        21.12.2004
Time:        08:56:13
User:        NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:    DULDUL2
Description:
The server {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

2)

Event Source:    Service Control Manager
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    7023
Time:        08:55:12
User:        N/A
Description:
The COM+ Event System service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The first one leads me to a knowledge base article called "windows messenger does not start". The second one leads me to nowhere.

Also, i constantly get these errors at application log:

1)
Event Source:    COM+
Event Category:    Unknown
Event ID:    4689
Time:        08:59:44
Description:
The run-time environment has detected an inconsistency in its internal state. This indicates a potential instability in the process that could be caused by the custom components running in the COM+ application, the components they make use of, or other factors. Error in d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\comsvcs\events\lcedisp.cpp(129), hr = 80040206: Failed to CoCreate EventSystem object.

2)
Event Source:    EventSystem
Event Category:    (50)
Event ID:    4609
Time:        08:59:44
Description:
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing.  HRESULT was 80080005 from line 44 of d:\nt\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp.  Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

These two lead me to nowhere too.

Just for the record, i have uninstalled windows messenger ages ago. Would that cause a problem? -i don't think so...-

I uninstalled 6.2, old plus!, all the add-ons and installed MSN 7 Beta, still no solution. I installed plus! for Beta, nothing changes.

By the way, I fixed the mail checking issue. Thanks for the replies.

RE: msn messenger loads very very slowly by Eljay on 12-21-2004 at 08:35 AM

quote:
Just for the record, i have uninstalled windows messenger ages ago. Would that cause a problem? -i don't think so...-

have u tried reinstalling windows messenger to see if the problem is resolved?
RE: msn messenger loads very very slowly by ronanyello on 12-21-2004 at 10:53 AM

yeah i've tried it today. no use at all. i installed wm 5.1, it is as slow as msn messenger.

RE: msn messenger loads very very slowly by Fergy on 12-21-2004 at 02:13 PM

I dont think anyone has really identified it as a plus issue or not

End the process msgplus.exe and see if the problem persists
If it doesn't then the problem is MSN Messenger itself
Make sure MSN Messenger isnt open when you do it

Windows XP/2000
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del then click the processes, scroll to msgplus.exe and click [End Process]

Windows 98/ME
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del, scroll to msgplus and click [End Program]

It's a better way for testing Plus! conflicts in my opinion

PS: to open MSN Messenger with Plus! again, go to wherever you installed it (eg. C:\Program Files\Messenger Plus\) and open MsgPlus.exe

If the problem is plus, uninstall plus and remove user settings becaus that can be a problem (make sure you have a backup if i am wrong) because this afternoon Messenger Plus was renaming my name every 5 seconds to a name i had entered earlier before a MSN crash...

Hope this helps -Fergy