Shoutbox

Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team (/showthread.php?tid=34581)

Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by aNILEator on 11-19-2004 at 01:49 AM

Cancer Fighting and other useful Research Tool

quote:
Originally posted on demonoid.com

This was my quote for a long time (I lost 4 loved ones to cancer so I had been doing this [grid.org] for a while):
Did you know one in four of us will at some time suffer from cancer? The high mortality rate, the suffering experienced by patients from the side effects of existing treatments, and the high costs of treatment all contribute to making cancer a priority for drug research. Please help us Beat Cancer!

The only time I run this kind of program is when I am not using the computer IE: when at work, out with friends, sleeping, in jail, when I am seeding, ECT....

This program only takes the CPU cycles that aren't being used (idle cycles). It doesn't slow down the computer. It releases the cycles it is using when another program needs them. It doesn't create a bottleneck. I use it on my 2 comps 1-2800xp, 1 gig ram and 2-celeron 700 with 128Mb ram. Granted it runs faster on the AMD, but the Celeron gets more points because of it being a slower machine. I have it running as a system service, and they (the wife and kids) never know it is working. Theirs is the celery comp. and it only uses the internet when it is sending the work packet info at the beginning and end of a work packet.I think this is really great that we (Team Demonoid) are doing this cuz I look at it this way. most of the people out there as well as but not limited to Game servers, File hosts, Message boards, FTP's, P2P leave the computers on for days at a time, and if you are going to have it on for days at a time why don't use help out mankind as well?

Install Notes can be found here http://www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm
=========

Grid.org is a single destination site for large-scale research projects powered by the United Devices grid computing solution, Grid MP Global. From the Cancer Research Project sponsored by Intel and the University of Oxford to the Anthrax Research Project sponsored by Intel and Microsoft, the Grid MP Global @ grid.org has been put to use for research and analysis projects of groundbreaking scope. With the participation of over 2 million devices worldwide, grid.org projects driven by the Grid MP Global have achieved record levels of speed and success in processing data.

United Devices invites you to download our software — a small program called the UD Agent — and become a Member of the United Devices Community. The UD Agent can recycle your PC's unused resources and use them to perform valuable scientific and medical research without disturbing your usual computer use.

Join grid.org and make a difference. To become a member of grid.org and participate in these important grid computing projects, simply download a free, non-invasive software program that works as a screensaver. It runs when your computer has idle processing time. Your computer never leaves your desk and the project never interrupts your normal PC use

Grid.org lets you make a real difference without donating money or time, with the system that you are using to view this site right now-your home or office PC.

I myself lost my mother to breast cancer in 2001, she was 39 (40 the next month) I was 11. I now have this program running 24/7 to help research.

I hope we have users on here who are willing to help out

To start helping out, you can download the software here http://www.grid.org/download/

Install the software + sign up (signup from within the software)

Then Join the Messenger Plus! Team here

http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team.htm?id=54...-92D6-1609C13850BC

Description:

The Messenger Plus! Team.

Are you a user of MSN Messenger?
Want to Enhance your MSN Messenger for FREE?
Then visit www.msgplus.net to download this great piece of software!

With its many features and ability to add Plug-ins, Messenger Plus! is by far the most recognised and probably most respected add-on created for MSN Messenger EVER!

Our aim is to help fight cancer and research into other extremely useful projects

HELP US ACHIEVE OUR GOAL, YOU NEVER KNOW YOU MAY BENEFIT FROM ITS RESEARCH ONE DAY!!!

Current Team Logo:
[Image: M+logo.gif]

If this could be Pinned it would be great, Thankyou, hope to see you all in the team!
RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Pipish on 11-19-2004 at 06:51 AM

I Actually Lost my Grandma to cancer its a very sad time and ofcourse i will help out with pleasure

EDIT: i wonder if there is a thingy like the whatpulse sig to say how much uptime we have

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by -dt- on 11-19-2004 at 08:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Pipish
I Actually Lost my Grandma to cancer its a very sad time and ofcourse i will help out with pleasure

EDIT: i wonder if there is a thingy like the whatpulse sig to say how much uptime we have
if there isn't me or someone else could make a script to do that for you
RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by user27089 on 11-19-2004 at 08:50 AM

I'm definitely joining for the fight for cancer... :)

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Dempsey on 11-19-2004 at 01:55 PM

Ill definatly joining.  I have cancer myself but i was very lucky as they diagnosed it at a very early stage, but I'll do anything I can to support this.

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Sunshine on 11-19-2004 at 02:25 PM

* Sunshine had a prestage of cervical cancer 5 years ago..

Needed two ops (was pretty close to actual cancer)....lucky me they found it tho...i wouldn't be here now if they hadn't :(

Also i've seen a neigbour of mine die from it beginnin this year..they didn't find it on time with her :'(

Hip hip hooray for research and the summoning women to come for checkup every five years starting at the age of 30 :D

Still i don't see how joining this will help =/

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by aNILEator on 11-19-2004 at 04:25 PM

This helps because, the researchers send the information or cell structures to your computer, your computer then works out (maps the cell or whatever) See the page links i posted below

Much like the human GEnome Project was like (That was where they found out what every chromosone in each cell was for)

This project was completed in 2003 (i believe) now they have started teh Human Proteome folding project which will tell those scientists people what each protein does

well learn about it here http://www.grid.org/projects/hpf/

the cancer project page is here http://www.grid.org/projects/cancer/

Either way its going to a good cause, if it only cures one person. Its been a sucess.

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by jren207 on 11-19-2004 at 05:39 PM

I have joined :) It's a good way of using the time that my PC does nothing lol. And it's helping people.

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Eljay on 11-19-2004 at 05:51 PM

i have joined up too:)

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by aNILEator on 11-20-2004 at 12:55 PM

I am very happy that you have all joined up!

Now if only this thread became a sticky thread....

Just looked at our team stats....there is none...

maybe it has sumat to do with this

http://www.grid.org/help/faq_connecting.htm

i dunno what type of port it is that needs opening

I'm using zonealarm pro 5

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Vazza on 11-20-2004 at 01:45 PM

Could have something to do with when the stats are updated. I checked to see if mine had been updated since I finshed my first task this morning, but nothing. The stats where last updated at midnigh last night for me. And baring in mind that this thread was only started yesterday......Give it time and see what happens

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Mike on 11-20-2004 at 03:26 PM

I registred with the username "Stonos" :)
However, I can't see my username in the list...

And it takes about 10 minutes to comple one (1) precent (%)]
Is this normal?

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by jren207 on 11-20-2004 at 03:48 PM

My name wasn't in the list, but today it is. I was looking at the FAQs and it said that info gets updated every few hours so thats why things look behind and theres no stats yet. And also if you change any prefs like the maximum storage size etc. in the prog, it wont be updated on your computer until it sends a job back.

It can also take any amount of time working on a certain part of the job. If you switch off your computer in the middle of a part/section, it might appear that it's working on the same % as it had to restart that part/section again.

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Vazza on 11-20-2004 at 03:54 PM

what list are you talking about?

quote:
Originally posted by Mike2

And it takes about 10 minutes to comple one (1) precent (%)]

I think the length of time it takes depends on what your doing with the system at that time. I think it also depends on what project your doing too. My first one took just over 9 hours to complete but the one I'm doing now is only 13% complete in 4 hours.

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by aNILEator on 11-20-2004 at 05:44 PM

thats probably waht i'm doing then, the 89 hour one,

ATM I'm on the human protone blah blah project and its taken 40 hours to do 60%

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by KeyStorm on 11-20-2004 at 05:56 PM

Hm, nice suggestion :)

I'm with it. But actually, the text and the logo should be changed. Hope Guido or someone could make a logo. Like "Messenger Plus! Community against cancer".

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Mike on 11-20-2004 at 06:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
ATM I'm on the human protone blah blah project and its taken 40 hours to do 60%
It downloaded me this project and it currently has done 18.5 % in 3 hours, 13 minutes, 20 seconds.
I think it goes quite well :)
By the way "My Device" score is 87.
Whats yours?

Anyway,
I want to run this application to another computer, while I have this one open too.
Will I have to make a new account to do this?
I made a new profile but I didn't test it...

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by marissa on 11-20-2004 at 06:13 PM

aw, this is such a good idea! i love helping like this again! =D I cut my hair to make wigs for people :)

really good idea (Y)

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Vazza on 11-20-2004 at 07:38 PM

Currently doing Cancer Research Project, Phase II which I think might be 20 hour long tasks :zzz:

Did start off with the uman protome project but decided to change it just to cancer

p/s note the edit of my above post

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by jren207 on 11-20-2004 at 07:48 PM

I started with Cancer Research Project, Phase II. It's been processing for 15 Hours and it's at 92%. This is gonna only take about a day so this task is ok. I can't wait for it to be transfered to the servers :)

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by aNILEator on 11-20-2004 at 08:09 PM

I know the text 'n' picture should be changed but i didn't know what to write at the time it was sumat like 2AM

i'm willing to change this, does anyone know what ports it uses? UDP TCP or whatever (preferably an easy ot follow guide for zonealarm pro 5)

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Dempsey on 11-21-2004 at 01:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike2

By the way "My Device" score is 87.
Whats yours?

My overal score is 121
Processor is 181
Memory is 67
Storage is 20
Network is 100
RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Moo on 11-21-2004 at 08:19 AM

Imma gonna join when I get to my other pc (this one aint mine)

RE: RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Guido on 11-21-2004 at 09:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
I'm with it. But actually, the text and the logo should be changed. Hope Guido or someone could make a logo. Like "Messenger Plus! Community against cancer".
Something like this...?

[Image: attachment.php?pid=338239]
RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by aNILEator on 11-21-2004 at 10:03 AM

great :D thanks guido i'll upload that shortly

EDIT:

Uploaded Now

Total Points: 1144

My overal score is 126
Processor is 155
Memory is 134
Storage is 20
Network is 100

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by KeyStorm on 11-21-2004 at 06:19 PM

Hm, looks good, Guido ;)

Gotta join the group asap.

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by aNILEator on 11-23-2004 at 04:43 PM

Can some Mod please make this thread sticky?

As far as i can see, you've made The Messenger plus whatpulse team a sticky

and IMO this is a bit more helpful and interesting than what pulse

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by ZrednaZ on 12-01-2004 at 09:44 PM

Hmm... that's strange. I'm currently a member of WorldCommunityGrid.org, which also involves pretome folding calculations, thus cancer research. Didn't know there was a grid.org, too! I wonder why the science teams don't just hook up and make ONE huge grid instead of several. Anyway, I'm sticking with World Community Grid, it has a much nicer webpage. :P

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by aNILEator on 12-01-2004 at 10:33 PM

your one is made by the same people :P its on grid.org's webpage

well in my country two big cancer research teams joined forces to become cancer research UK

anyway it is probably all going to the same people so meh, lightens the load on servers i suppose :)

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Ash_ on 12-03-2004 at 01:40 AM

even thought this thread is from like last month i joined (Y)(Y)

downloading the data now..

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by aNILEator on 12-03-2004 at 11:13 PM

Good on you Ash, this thread may be a month old. but cancer and diseases will still exist and i think this is a great way to contribute

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by deuce on 12-05-2004 at 01:00 AM

ill join my mom had cancer and i no like 5 ppl with cancer so i be glad and help

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by MC.POP on 12-21-2004 at 06:02 AM

i will join too my neighbour died of cancer and i will be glad to help and join

can somebody explain the freezing of my PC i have a celeron is it supposed to do that

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by paperless on 12-28-2004 at 01:00 AM

I will join.. well i think it will help for sure and i neer know if it can happen to me i lost a grandmother i never met her because of cancer my mother was 13 when my grandmother died...coz of cancer im gonna kill cancer!

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by MC.POP on 12-28-2004 at 01:03 AM

the program makes my PC freeze

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Zephyr on 01-08-2005 at 12:04 PM

I'll join as well. I lost my grandma to cancer when i was 9 and i was really sad. :( I 'll do anything to help.

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by BigTrev on 01-31-2005 at 06:12 PM

Iv just joined!! (Y)

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by jtstone1983 on 02-09-2005 at 02:19 AM

I've lost a long time friend to Cancer the beginning of Jan. I didn't find out until 3 weeks after she died.

This is her picture (To the left) She was a great person to live with and also a very high spirited person which made life easier and a heck of alot more fun.

With all that being said now, I have just joined and downloaded the software that was being advertised, and just wanted to say that it's now a great way to donate, especially for those who aren't always home, or always have time to donate money.

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by John Anderton on 02-09-2005 at 05:45 AM

I'd love to join such a noble cause so i'm in (Y)

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by ayjay on 02-17-2005 at 03:10 PM

I had to sign up with ajdajd lol. Someone already had ajd.

I'm on 40% so far on my first one :)

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Macabre Wolf on 03-13-2005 at 10:22 PM

I'll join as soon as I get my laptop back, luckily no-one I know has had or has got cancer, but I'm always willing to help in whatever way I can.

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by mwe99 on 03-13-2005 at 10:29 PM

I don't personally know anyone with cancer but i am downloading this program to show my support :)

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Fredzz on 03-20-2005 at 11:53 PM

im in, downloaded registered and running :)

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by MC.POP on 03-21-2005 at 01:00 AM

it kills my celeron.

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by albert on 03-21-2005 at 01:14 AM

no1 in my family ever got cancer or anything.. but as a soccer player i know the importance of beiing healty.. joining at the moment!

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by AnA on 04-06-2005 at 06:56 PM

Father dieing of cancer.

1st diagnosed of bladder cancer, they removed his bladder, and 3 months on we found out it had spread to his bones.

Things are hard, and sure ill give my support.

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by DaN00b on 04-19-2005 at 09:29 PM

I will also join. My dad just found out he had cancer so i will support this also :)

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Chris4 on 04-24-2005 at 11:22 PM

I'll support. But I still don't understand how it helps research?

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by paperless on 04-25-2005 at 12:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by chris4
I'll support. But I still don't understand how it helps research?

Your computer processes information which is sent to their computers after it finishes it.
RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by shine on 06-06-2005 at 07:11 AM

No one knows what cancer is untill one has a first hand experience.. No one is immune to it and no one will survive it without a scar.. There are no medicines for cancer.. the only known way is to amputate the organ, which is not possible in many cases.. I have seen sufferings of newborns to old.. its terrible..imagine your live body decaying....

I was away from plus due to this unknown slilent invader.. I lost my mom...I was with her throughout.....................but..

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by LittleK on 09-07-2005 at 08:03 PM

I lost my grandad to lung cancer.. 10 years after he quit smoking, ironic isnt it? Im gonna join up :)

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by myrtle on 09-22-2005 at 09:24 AM

I wanna join... I wanna help fight cancer too because it kills numerous people every year.

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Discrate on 11-22-2005 at 11:04 AM

i hope its not a virus or anything. i sighned up but you no with the teams if you make a team and people sighn up what happens does the team get a prize if they get the most members or somthing or is it just get as many members to help cancer research?

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by CookieRevised on 11-22-2005 at 02:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by joelm
i hope its not a virus or anything.
If it was there wouldn't be +50 replies in this thread (heck the thread wouldn't exist anymore) and millions of people using it...

quote:
Originally posted by joelm
i sighned up but you no with the teams if you make a team and people sighn up what happens does the team get a prize if they get the most members or somthing or is it just get as many members to help cancer research?
no prize, this is pure good will and based upon volunteers and doing something usefull with your computer idle time...

Also, read the first post in this thread and follow the links. Everything is explained there...

In other words: download and install the UD agent and join the Plus! team.

For more questions regarding Grid.org and/or the UD agent see http://www.grid.org/help/.

Welcome to the team ;)
RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by DJKAL on 11-22-2005 at 05:27 PM

i want to join but im a litle wary, i want to join as lost my nan to cnacer, my mum could have it in the near future and a girl i really like also could have it unless she has an operation.
how does it work, like what info does it receive? and just in eneral what have i got to do and what will it do?

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by CookieRevised on 11-22-2005 at 09:09 PM

As said, read the first post in this thread and follow the links. Also follow the links given in my previous post. Everything is explained there, explaining it here would mean simply copying what is stated on those pages...

Again, it is not harmfull in any way.

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Discrate on 11-22-2005 at 11:42 PM

i sighned up :)

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by ~~*CoRaL*~~ on 02-21-2006 at 01:17 PM

[color=blue]great fight and yeah i;ll help
i have breast cancer so i know all about the stuff you have to go through

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Fanta on 02-21-2006 at 07:13 PM

I was actually thinking about joining something like this months ago. For some reason, I just only now spotted this thread, so I joined the team. little late but hey, it's never too late to be helpful.

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Ezra on 02-21-2006 at 07:28 PM

I'm running the BOINC program, but I don't think they support that :(

Too bad, I don't want two programs doing this kinda thing. One is enough.

If anyone knows if I can combine this with BOINC tell me so I can join :)

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Jaffacake on 03-04-2006 at 03:04 PM

Can I be the token sceptic here? (Yes, I do realise im about to be hated by the whole Messenger Plus! community...)

First of all, I have no objections to this project, and I do commend all of you who have shown a heart of gold and have been generous enough to provide a service that is likely to better mankind in one way or another. If there were more people like yourselves, the world would be a better place.

But I do have my (personal) reservations. Athough projects like these are intended for saving lives, the amount of money pumped into them can be so great compared to the relative benefits. There are more important ways (in my view) that can save more lives, and cheaper in both the short- and long-term.

Although cancer is a big killer, and its prevalence makes it a factor in many families, it is actually curable in most cases. Even breast cancer, a scourge amongst young and middle-aged females, can be simply teated with good prognostic indicators.

Its all about finding it quickly enough.

If the money that is used in this project was instead used in public heath and educational projects, the number of lives saved would be, frankly, phenomenal. And you wouldnt be saving this generation, but that generation's children and so forth.

Theres a couple of ethical issues about these projects too. Firstly, the idea of treating cancer rather than preventing it promotes a lifestyle/culture that doesnt consider the consequences of its actions. I almost sends out a signal that we should do/dont do X/Y/Z and put ourselves at risk, and have it all treated afterwards. I must emphasise here, thinking about that statement more, that I am most certainly not saying that those that have died of cancer are at fault in any way, but if there was more insight into cancer, people would (for example) see the warning signs earlier, or reduce their risks of getting the cancer in the first place.

Although I appreciate that the project will help to understand the mechanics of cancer better (and so help in cancer prevention), this is not where the money is, and so it would be unprofitible for the institutions to follow that route too far.

Another problem is that these projects do indirectly, and invariably, divert resourses away from arguably more beneficial projects. The political impact that can be gained by having thousands of members of the public can be quite great: noone would dare stop a project that has great public support, regardless of viability.

Also, the main beneficiaries of this type of project will be the pharmaceutical companies. The profits that anti-cancer drugs would make would be huge. I dont have anything against the pharmaceutical industry per se, but our finances are ultimately going into a private business rather than within the heath care institutions.

Another point argues by some at present is the idea of preventing cell mutations in the body. Mutations are what drives evolution, and what makes you and me different. The idea of being able to control this ourselves worry some, as it would be another indicator for preventing further variety in humans, and also a continuation of the "designer baby" field of thought.

Anyway, im not trying to flame what is a well-meaning project. Its just I wish we could prioritise our efforts more. I just feel we could save more lives in other ways.

As I say, this is likely to be a minority view, and ill wait for the associated criticism. Bear in mind that this is not an opinion that represents the medical establishment, just very much a personal view, which is also not out to tell anyone that they are "right or wrong".

Im just probably bitter because I work in a "non-fashionable" field of medicine (mental health), which causes just as much grief and mortality as cancer does, but doesnt get these revolutionary projects. Similarly I see so many cancer institutions built (with pharmaceutical sponsership), and I have to fight to keep our decaying psychiatric hospital from being closed down.

Hm, sorry about the huge post (read: rant), I didnt realise this was going to happen. Still, I would commend you to join if you have a strong feeling about the project, or about fighting cancer in general.

[Conflict of interest: Stupid man who shouldnt have posted this in the first place]

RE: RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by CookieRevised on 03-04-2006 at 07:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jaffacake
(Yes, I do realise im about to be hated by the whole Messenger Plus! community...)
Not at all... nothing wrong in stating your opinions...

but...

quote:
But I do have my (personal) reservations. Athough projects like these are intended for saving lives, the amount of money pumped into them can be so great compared to the relative benefits. There are more important ways (in my view) that can save more lives, and cheaper in both the short- and long-term.
I don't know what exact money is pumped into such projects, but the fact remains that this amount of money is far less than what is needed for other stuff. This is because the technology used in such projects exists for a long time and it takes only a very small amount of setup to adapt such technology for new and other means (like this cancer research project).

Also, it is not a "this-or-that" situation; It is a "this and also that" situation. I mean, it is not because this project exists that other research stuff isn't done.

And, most importantly, this project allows people who can't (or wont) help in other ways to help a small bit whenever they can.

quote:
Although cancer is a big killer, and its prevalence makes it a factor in many families, it is actually curable in most cases. Even breast cancer, a scourge amongst young and middle-aged females, can be simply teated with good prognostic indicators.
The reasons why most cancers are cureable (or many other deseases for that matter) is because of the research done. The project talked about in this thread is a project to help such research....

Without research you wouldn't even have the means to prevent something, let alone to cure something.

quote:
If the money that is used in this project was instead used in public heath and educational projects, the number of lives saved would be, frankly, phenomenal.
Not true in any way.

Not only does such projects as this cost an (relative) extremely low amount of money, putting that money in public heath and educational projects wouldn't help one bit if the research needed for public health and educational projects isn't there to begin with.

quote:
Theres a couple of ethical issues about these projects too. Firstly, the idea of treating cancer rather than preventing it promotes a lifestyle/culture that doesnt consider the consequences of its actions.
This has got nothing todo with ethics at all. Again, you confuse (or don't get) the purpose of such projects as this.
You would stand nowhere at all if such research isn't done in the first place. The only reason why you could state "rather prevent it than cure it" is because reasearch has already done.

If you can help research to be done quicker (with projects like this), you automatically help in not only curing deseases, but also to find ways to prevent them quicker.

quote:
but if there was more insight into cancer, people would (for example) see the warning signs earlier, or reduce their risks of getting the cancer in the first place.
The main purpose of the project talked about in this thread (and other similar projects) is not about informing people how to prevent cancers and what not! The purpose is to help research, the very first step into preventing, curing and informing people.

You can't compare this project with other project which emphasize on informing people. Those two things are totally different things. Hence, you can't compare the two either...

quote:
Although I appreciate that the project will help to understand the mechanics of cancer better (and so help in cancer prevention), this is not where the money is, and so it would be unprofitible for the institutions to follow that route too far.
I totally disagree.

Everything depends on the research. If a company has an answer to disease X, because of its research it has done, be sure that companies around the world would wanna hear about it (and would pay for it if it indeed saves lives).

Also, such research projects aren't actually about the "big" money. They aren't done to make big money, they are in the first place done to help further studies to cure and prevent deseases.

If only big money is the thing behind all this, I wouldn't want to live in this world at all, not to mention that exactly such a situation would be unethical; If it is only by means of big amounts of money that company X could buy information from research done by company Y, information needed to save lives, only then it would be an unethical world.

quote:
Another problem is that these projects do indirectly, and invariably, divert resourses away from arguably more beneficial projects.
such as?

Again, such projects, as talked about in this thread, do not divert anything away from other projects in any way.

Projects as this only use some of your free computer system resources. System resources which would otherwise not be used. The people who participate in such projects actually don't need to do anything to participate (except letting their computer run). Hence why such projects also do not divert anything at all in any way. If people want to participate in other projects then they can.

quote:
The political impact that can be gained by having thousands of members of the public can be quite great: noone would dare stop a project that has great public support, regardless of viability.

(...)

Another point argues by some at present is the idea of preventing cell mutations in the body. Mutations are what drives evolution, and what makes you and me different. The idea of being able to control this ourselves worry some, as it would be another indicator for preventing further variety in humans, and also a continuation of the "designer baby" field of thought.
You're very seriously drifting away from the main purpose of this specific project with all this...

Politics has got nothing todo with all this.... Also to put the discussion of "designer babies" (GM) into this is seriously overreacting and/or putting totally different things all together. Also, There are very huge differences between researching a specific gene and abusing/altering it.

quote:
Anyway, im not trying to flame what is a well-meaning project. Its just I wish we could prioritise our efforts more. I just feel we could save more lives in other ways.
And you can.

Again, this specific project does not divert, prevent, alter any other ways there might be to help save more lives. In fact, it is additional, not an alternative.

In fact, it is even so additional that it uses otherwise lost resources; resources which wouldn't be used otherwise.

Therefor I really don't understand what this "prioritise our efforts more" comes from as there is nothing to prioritise with such online computing projects.
This is not a "I first do this and then I go help in the shelter next door" project. This is a "while I help in the shelter next door I leave my computer on so it can help as an online calculator for the research companies" project.

quote:
Im just probably bitter because I work in a "non-fashionable" field of medicine (mental health), which causes just as much grief and mortality as cancer does, but doesnt get these revolutionary projects.
Does that mean such projects are, as you frankly put it, not worth it or even bad???

The field of mental health might not need a super computer or something to crunch numbers (as that is exactly and the only thing what such projects as this are used for), hence why that field in medicine doesn't have such projects.

The only reason why this project exists is because there is a demand for huge computing power in that specific field of research and that huge computing power exists in the form of combined smaller computers in a network.

If such combined computer power wouldn't exist, they had to do the number crunching on small computers or by hand, which will take them hundreds of years (literally!!!) to do.

Each field of medicine has its own needs. And if people can help such a specific field (without doing anything extra!), why should they feel bad or why is that not good, unethical or not prioritizing stuff?

I'm sure the field of mental health has other needs, needs which wouldn't be usefull to the field of researching molecules. And I don't see anybody complaining about that.

Again, this project (and other projects like this) are only about crunching the huge amount of numbers and numerical data; helping to compute possible results. In other words, the researchers can actually put their precious time into actually researching instead of calculating boring numbers.

----------------------------------------

I really don't understand where all this you've said is comming from. Unless you totally missed the point of such online calculating projects or don't know what they are or how they work....

quote:
Similarly I see so many cancer institutions built (with pharmaceutical sponsership), and I have to fight to keep our decaying psychiatric hospital from being closed down.

...Or, after reading that last bit of your post, I maybe could understand where it all comes from: The hospital you work in may not have enough money anymore or there are too little patients (which again boils down to no money as no patients means no income for the institue). But this has absolutely nothing to do with projects as talked about in this thread. To put everything together and to go from there to what you've posted is one huge generalization and making absolute wrong conclussions.

Even if projects like this wouldn't exist, it wouldn't make any difference towards to financial situation of the hospital. Don't seek possible causes for the (near) closing down of the hospital in projects such as this; They do not replace anything which would have could prevented the lack in money for the hospital.

(In fact, it is the other way around, hospitals wouldn't even exist if there wasn't research in the first place)

Instead of "complaining" (or to put in a milder way: asking some questions) about such projects, why don't you organize a benefit or something so the hospital can stay open. And while people donate money or do other stuff to help the hospital, they can run a project like this on their computer at home, unattended.

-------

EDIT: Oh, and if a doctor in the hospital needs a massive list of data to analyze, ask him what he rather wants to do: visting his patients and helping them out, or sitting behind his desk with a caluclator for days to get the data calculated while his patients are dying.

With projects such as this, he actually can effort to visit his patients, while his data is being analyzed by a (huge) computer.

-------

sorry for this opinion...
RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by aNILEator on 03-05-2006 at 11:17 AM

Go Cookie :gfdrin:

Yeah data results are the worst, my cousin is a neuro scientist and she has to sit there for ever checking and re-checking numbers against a tv monitor. it sucks, with this she could be out researching and doing practical stuff more than wasting her time in the bedroom on her pc punching in 1....2......4......3.....j.....t... etc

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Jaffacake on 03-05-2006 at 12:11 PM

CookieRevised, thanks for the reply.

Ill get to a more detailed reply when I recover from my hangover (!)

Just a quick point to say that hospitals in the UK are publicly funded, not privately funded. Income isnt derived from the number of patients you treat, etc.

Oh, and my views havent changed too much from my time working in the NHS before working in psychiatry.

But, as I say, ill get to a more constructive reply soon.

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by NiteMare on 03-05-2006 at 12:41 PM

i've never lost anyone to cancer

but i don't want to ever lose one to it, downloaded and runing

RE: RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by CookieRevised on 03-05-2006 at 02:34 PM

quote:
Just a quick point to say that hospitals in the UK are publicly funded, not privately funded. Income isnt derived from the number of patients you treat, etc.
Doesn't make any difference (neither to what I said)... In fact, I didn't even thought about private funded hospitals, but about public hospitals...

If there are less patients, the hospitals will get less money. It doesn't matter if they are private funded or not.

In public hospitals the money from the patients goes to the goverment and it is the goverment who pays the hospitals, this is exactly the same as with private hospitals with the only difference that the money doesn't first pass the goverment.

--------

But all this is going seriously off topic though as all this has got absolutely nothing to do with the Gid.org project. So I suggest to make another thread in General Chit Chat if you want to continue such a discussion.
RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by aNILEator on 03-05-2006 at 11:49 PM

yeah thread needs a new haircut (trimmings ;))

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Ezra on 03-05-2006 at 11:58 PM

I don't think this project is compatible with BOINC so I just joined WorldCommunityGrid, doesn't research Cancer but Proteome Folding and AIDS.

So now i'm contributing to:

• Rosetta
  • WorldCommunityGrid
  • Folding@Home
  • Predictor

I'm also with SETI@HOME, but that's on my old slow pc and doesn't do any REAL work :P, so I didn't add it to that list ;)

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Fuzzles on 03-21-2006 at 06:13 AM

i'm sad to hear that fuka, all the best.

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by aNILEator on 03-21-2006 at 06:43 AM

Yay my cousin got her doctorship :D Wonder if any of her research will ever get on the news, her team have already discovered that stressactually eats away at your brain. eg the chemical your brain creates when your stressed out eats your other brain cells etc :) nice eh

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Idium on 04-26-2006 at 05:52 PM

just joined and dl'd and i have joined the team, i had 2 prestage cancerous moles on my back so im up for anything to fight cancer

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by bitterxend on 05-12-2006 at 06:13 PM

My Father Suffers from brain cancer

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by aNILEator on 05-12-2006 at 06:37 PM

i hope everyones problems sort themselves out one way or the other, it may sound saddistic but i was glad my mother died because she wasn't in as much pain anymore. and didn't have to put up with the struggle of everything and no one had to continue to see her deteriate slowly.

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by ZrednaZ on 06-28-2006 at 11:07 PM

I've been running my World community Grid client for 120 days now - and that's the actual time it's been working. :) So I thought I'd go ahead and caculate a price on this stuff just for fun...

I'm going to share these numbers in case any of you other folks would be interested in knowing how much these CPU donations actully cost on your electric bill.

Note that the end-result is bound to be very individual based on your CPU's power consumption, the number of hours a day your PC is running and the price of electricity in your area.

My scenario:
Computer using a Pentium 4 HT-enabled 3,0 GHz processor
$0.294 USD per kWh with our power company
Computer usually runs about 8 hours a day.
Using a power consumption meter I've established that my entire PC system eats 188 watts when the CPU is idle and 220 with the CPU at 100% - of course this is always the case when running the grid.

So that's an extra 32 watts for 8 hours a day I'm donating to the grid. About the same amount used by 2-3 televisions on standby.

How much money does this translate to?
32 watts / 1000 = 0,032 kW
$0.294 per kWh * 0,032 kW = $0,00941 per hour
8 hours * $0,00941 per hour = $0,07526 a day

Since my computer runs for about 8 hours a day I'll be paying an extra 7.5 cents on my electric bill every day compared to having my computer on but not running the grid. That's roughly $27.50 a year if I'm not mistaken. An amount I certainly don't mind contributing with every year.

Note that I'm not quite donating this amount to the WCG since my computer's CPU wouldn't always be totally idle even if the WCG wasn't running - especially applies to heavy-duty gamers..

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by aNILEator on 06-28-2006 at 11:35 PM

ha interesting, i think electricity must be bloody cheap in whereever you are!

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by benjyrama on 08-23-2006 at 09:10 PM

by joining the messenger plus team, does that automatically defer my cpu resources to the cancer project only?, also won't this inevitably involve double processing?

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Vazza on 08-23-2006 at 09:12 PM

no. basically the program runs in the background and if you are using the computer for other purposes say, surfing the net and messenger, then it will only use a small amount. When the computer is idling, then more resources will be used until you come to use it again :)

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by CookieRevised on 08-23-2006 at 09:30 PM

...and joining will do nothing; you actually need to install and run the program. I mean: it is not like if you join the team on that website that all of a sudden your PC is going to do stuff, you actually need to run the program too. Joining the team is just good for the team points which are gathered when you run the program (thus you can join whatever team you like; of course, if you do, we would be forced to come after you and kick your behind ;):p)

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by benjyrama on 08-23-2006 at 10:07 PM

thanx for replying but im just wondering if joining the messenger plus team does the client only work on the cancer project or all the projects occuring

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by aNILEator on 08-24-2006 at 01:07 AM

it depends what you choose to participate in, i thank you for your support and this joint research has lead to some improvments in treating cancer, i read the other day that they can now pin point an exact point to sevre to eliminate pain from (and 'feeding') the cancer (depending on where it is) thanks to joint CPU research :D

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Baggins on 12-16-2006 at 09:18 PM

i will do it on mine but mot here (at my dad's)

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by BraydenP on 12-21-2006 at 09:24 AM

Hello,

My uncle died of cancer, I have never seen him.

I was like 3 months old when he died.

I really think it is horrible to lose somebody, You never see them when people grow up.

So we can give other people chance to see their family or friends.

I have downloaded and registered with the program.

Thanks,

BraydenP.

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Vazza on 04-27-2007 at 05:11 PM

Hey guys, just thought you should all know this before you wonder what's up with the program:

http://forum.grid.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=599007

So that's it. It's been fun. Going to join another project now :)

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by aNILEator on 04-27-2007 at 05:13 PM

cool :D

what can we hop over to now?

#EDit:

Any others let teams in etc?

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by Vazza on 04-27-2007 at 05:19 PM

Well, worldcommunitygrid.org is accepting grid.org members as it uses a program based on/ is the same as the United Devices program from grid.org

RE: Help Fight Cancer! Join the Messenger Plus Grid.org Team by aNILEator on 04-27-2007 at 05:47 PM

Cool I'm seeting up a new team etc on worldcommunitygrid.org

if you are already a world community grid member click this link ->  http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamIn...teamId=Z17QB19CTR1

PLEASE CONTINUE POSTING IN HERE INSTEAD

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=74080

requesting lock/deletion/merge of this thread....