Shoutbox

Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person (/showthread.php?tid=34582)

Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by Omar on 11-19-2004 at 01:57 AM

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - E-mail users inundated with unsolicited "spam" messages have reason to hope Microsoft Corp. will develop better tools for tackling the problem: Bill Gates (news - web sites) is suffering more than anyone.

Gates, Microsoft's chairman, gets 4 million e-mails a day and is probably the most "spammed" person in the world, his Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer said Thursday.

However, only a few junk e-mails gets through to Gates's inbox thanks to anti-spam technology that filters his messages, Ballmer said at a Microsoft event in Singapore.

Spam e-mails touting everything from aphrodisiacs to home loans are believed to account for over 80 percent of Internet traffic.

CLICK HERE

RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by Maniac on 11-19-2004 at 02:31 AM

:spam:

this is actually scary... 4 million emails a day.... just stick to forum spamming :p its better and doesnt hurt as much :spam:

RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by Pipish on 11-19-2004 at 06:48 AM

4 million a day :| damn it sucks to be rich&famous

RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by _Humphreys on 11-19-2004 at 08:20 AM

4 million :o I thought 13 junk emails a day was a lot obviously not compared to some people. I have that crappy Microsoft spam filter checking my emails, it sucks!:P

RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by user27089 on 11-19-2004 at 08:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Attitude Extreme
have that crappy Microsoft spam filter checking my emails, it sucks!
In my opinion, Microsoft should stick to operating systems and microsoft office and crap, their browsers, wep page builders and their email software just completely sucks, i'm not surprised that he gets spammed a lot actually..

RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by WDZ on 11-19-2004 at 01:49 PM

I wonder how many servers they have dedicated to Bill's e-mail... :p

Almost 50 messages per second... :|

RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by jren207 on 11-19-2004 at 05:44 PM

Just when you thought all your emails had been marked as read.... another one appears!!! 8-)

RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by user27089 on 11-19-2004 at 06:10 PM

here are my crappy calculations:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=337684]

[edit]I edited the image size..

RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by Maniac on 11-19-2004 at 09:14 PM

I wonder if they pay someone to clean out the spam :rofl:

RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by Pr0xY on 11-20-2004 at 04:44 AM

oh my, 4,000,000 emails in one day, thats impressive.  I wonder how many of those are from this ex wifes and old girl friends from college asking for money. 

RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by Kryptonate on 11-20-2004 at 09:43 PM

he'll know what to do when he's bored :rolleyes:

RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by lopardo on 11-21-2004 at 04:57 AM

:dodgy:

Why doesn't he just change his address? :refuck:

RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by user27089 on 11-21-2004 at 12:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo

Why doesn't he just change his address? :refuck:

he ain't that smart is he really? lol, maybe he should get a gmail with an advanced spam blocker :O
RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by andrey on 11-21-2004 at 10:48 PM

hmm...wow, 4 million e-mails a day...
i wonder what these people actually write him, probably something like: "Please Bill, you have soooo much money and we have nothing...Please send us some money !!!
...what's his e-mail btw ? :P

RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by b_birak on 11-21-2004 at 11:14 PM

most likely anything and everything. think about the type of spam u get then u have the answer. but multily that by ???

RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by paperless on 11-21-2004 at 11:30 PM

hey whats his adress i wanna send him an email..

RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by CookieRevised on 11-22-2004 at 01:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ningc_Maniac
just stick to forum spamming :p its better and doesnt hurt as much
It hurts even more!!!
Spamming some individual with 100 spammails will hurt only that individual, spamming a forum with 100 spamposts will hurt all the members.
quote:
I have that crappy Microsoft spam filter checking my emails, it sucks!:P
If you mean the "crappy" spamfilter from hotmail, then I can assure you that that "crappy" filter holds an enourmous amount of spam back from entering your inbox.
quote:
Originally posted by Ningc_Maniac
I wonder if they pay someone to clean out the spam :rofl:
yeah, a team of 1000 fairies that read his email 24/7 to check if it is spam or not. Actually a boring job though, but it pays well...
quote:
Originally posted by AndreY
i wonder what these people actually write him, probably something like: "Please Bill, you have soooo much money and we have nothing...Please send us some money !!!
spammail is 99,9% not mail send by an individual to an individual, but by spambots. Like mailmachines who spread advertisements etc.
quote:
Originally posted by b_birak
think about the type of spam u get then u have the answer.
indeed

RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by _Humphreys on 11-22-2004 at 11:31 AM

quote:
quote : Originally posted by Attitude Extreme
    I have that crappy Microsoft spam filter checking my emails, it sucks!

If you mean the "crappy" spamfilter from hotmail, then I can assure you that that "crappy" filter holds an enourmous amount of spam back from entering your inbox.

Without setting it to exclusive it won't catch spam never has done for me. It only works with exculsive as it takes everything and puts it into the junk email folder unless you make every contact known to hotmail.
RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by Anubis on 11-22-2004 at 11:37 AM

quote:

Without setting it to exclusive it won't catch spam never has done for me. It only works with exculsive as it takes everything and puts it into the junk email folder unless you make every contact known to hotmail.
But that can just get buggy, I mean I get e-mails off loads of people, not spamming just I haven't accepted their address...I'd hate to sign up for something and then it be regarded as spam and then the folder is automatically cleared only a few minutes after. Maybe if you don't expect many e-mails off people who want to ask you something who aren't on your contact list or if you never sign up for anything, but really the exclusive feature isn't a good solution unless you are really only expecting e-mails off your contacts and don't sign up for anything...
Conclusion: If you're very sad and no one wants to get in contact with you and you don't sign up for anything exclusive is the answer
RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by _Humphreys on 11-22-2004 at 11:42 AM

quote:
But that can just get buggy, I mean I get e-mails off loads of people, not spamming just I haven't accepted their address...I'd hate to sign up for something and then it be regarded as spam and then the folder is automatically cleared only a few minutes after. Maybe if you don't expect many e-mails off people who want to ask you something who aren't on your contact list or if you never sign up for anything, but really the exclusive feature isn't a good solution unless you are really only expecting e-mails off your contacts and don't sign up for anything...
Conclusion: If you're very sad and no one wants to get in contact with you and you don't sign up for anything exclusive is the answer

Exactly! You can't use exclusive if you get emails outside of your known contacts and if you don't use exclusive you get spammed down in flames.:(
RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by saralk on 11-22-2004 at 01:43 PM

I have Spam Assasin installed on my server, and it is really good. Plus, it learns from what you say is spam or not.

And then spam that is not detected by spam assasin is detected by Opera M2.

RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by Jhrono on 11-22-2004 at 03:04 PM

Why does the guy need an email? really!how many emails does he send  per year(just a guess 5:P)?can't he aford phone calls?next week they'll say he speaks to his granny by windows messenger;)...stupid thought;)

RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by user35870 on 11-22-2004 at 04:02 PM

Wonder if bill has his own msn hotmail service are he uses the free one ....lol

RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by ayjay on 11-22-2004 at 04:12 PM

How would the spam be sent there? No doubt his address won't be written on the net anywhere.

RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by user35870 on 11-22-2004 at 04:13 PM

i think it says somthing about when he goes to talks n all he gives it out

RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by Pr0xY on 11-23-2004 at 05:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ajd
How would the spam be sent there? No doubt his address won't be written on the net anywhere.
Well I have a personal email account and I ony give the addy to family and close friends, and I still get spam.  I personally think Microsoft just has a list of emails and sells that list for money.  Alot of companies do that...

RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by WDZ on 12-06-2004 at 06:44 AM

Update: http://mikesejournal.com/archives/003089.php

quote:
Meanwhile, Ballmer said he misspoke last week when he was quoted as saying Microsoft chairman Bill Gates gets about 4 million spam messages a day. "I should have said year." he told me. "It's 4 million a year he gets."
RE: Microsoft's Gates Is World's Most 'Spammed' Person by Pr0xY on 12-06-2004 at 12:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Update: http://mikesejournal.com/archives/003089.php

hmm.... well that seems more realistic...

But that is still alot of spam emails...