Shoutbox

Internet Explorer Issues - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Internet Explorer Issues (/showthread.php?tid=34596)

Internet Explorer Issues by Wabz on 11-19-2004 at 12:54 PM

Hey guys my sister got an issue that I'm supposed to fix.

Well she had a lot of spyware and I assume it infected the hosts file. As she was getting mywebsearch at every page she clicked on.

I used Spybot S&D to clear it :D

Now she can't view a single webpage as she just gets a This page cannot be displayed.  Or a 404 error.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to repair the error?  I assume its something to do with DNS and Internet explorer.  Although she can sign into Messenger and get on irc.

Windows XP & Internet Explorer 6

Thanks Guys

RE: Internet Explorer Issues by Sunshine on 11-19-2004 at 01:02 PM

Try reinstalling IE ;)

Info and downloads: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx

or go directly to: IE 6 (SP1) download page

Download and burn onto CD for her..or reinstall from her original Win CD then update ;)

RE: Internet Explorer Issues by Wabz on 11-19-2004 at 03:56 PM

Thanks Sunshine :D

Anyone got any quick fioxes to this problem (note shes on 56 k)

RE: Internet Explorer Issues by Mike on 11-19-2004 at 04:06 PM

I heard that S&D sometimes deletes system files...
I think that you should restore these items from the quaratine.
Then go to http://www.lavasoft.de and get an Adaware personal edition.
Make a full scan, and remove the spyware it founds.
Then try to see if it works...

Also you can try getting her another browser like "Mozilla Firefox" ( http://www.getfirefox.com )

RE: Internet Explorer Issues by Wabz on 11-20-2004 at 04:01 AM

* Wabz sighs

That isn't giving the soulution I want at all sorry if i'm cranky but its 4am again.  Adaware is just the same as spybot.  I want to know how to recover in my current situation not something in the future.  And I cant download firefox for the simple reason all i get is a DNS error

RE: RE: Internet Explorer Issues by Hank on 11-20-2004 at 04:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
* Wabz sighs

That isn't giving the soulution I want at all sorry if i'm cranky but its 4am again.  Adaware is just the same as spybot.  I want to know how to recover in my current situation not something in the future.  And I cant download firefox for the simple reason all i get is a DNS error

is this what your looking for Wabz

http://www.free-web-browsers.com/support/remove-mysearch.shtml

if that dont work try bottom Url

http://www.opentechsupport.net/forums/archive/topic/27500-1.html
RE: Internet Explorer Issues by k776 on 11-20-2004 at 04:36 AM

your not as cranky as some people I know over at the *cough*mybboard.com forums*cough*

Anyway, first, clear your cache, cookies, and temps to get rid of some junk there.

If it doesn't work, spyware may have changed the way IE displays pages or altered the connections settings. Check to see if the spyware put any proxy setting etc.

If that doesn't work, disable all plugins loaded into IE. There might be a spyware program left behind that is causing havoc.

Finally, if all else fails, kick it, j/k. Just use Sunshine's idea

quote:
Reinstall from her original Win CD
Demandred, the computer has been cleaned out already, its just left some stuff behind perhaps??

Anyway, the same thing happened to me 2 days ago, even firefox wouldn't display pages. I kept getting "connection time out" or "cannot be displayed" errors. The above steps worked fine.
RE: Internet Explorer Issues by Hank on 11-20-2004 at 04:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by k776
your not as cranky as some people I know over at the *cough*mybboard.com forums*cough*

Anyway, first, clear your cache, cookies, and temps to get rid of some junk there.

If it doesn't work, spyware may have changed the way IE displays pages or altered the connections settings. Check to see if the spyware put any proxy setting etc.

If that doesn't work, disable all plugins loaded into IE. There might be a spyware program left behind that is causing havoc.

Finally, if all else fails, kick it, j/k. Just use Sunshine's ideaDemandred, the computer has been cleaned out already, its just left some stuff behind perhaps??

Anyway, the same thing happened to me 2 days ago, even firefox wouldn't display pages. I kept getting "connection time out" or "cannot be displayed" errors. The above steps worked fine.

maybe it has left some stuff there, but wasnt uninstalled Properly? an in result has cleaned out 95% of the spyware but left other Particles of the MyWebSearch bar which cannot Be removed. just by Cleaning ones cache isnt gonna fix the problem,  an By easil;y Putting in your Windows CD an reinstalling aint gonna Fix the Problem permantly, the problem will rise its Ugly head yet again if the problem isnt totally removed.

Try Opening IE. then clicking on Tools > general > Settings Button > an View Objects button > an remove the offending Object ?
RE: Internet Explorer Issues by Mike on 11-20-2004 at 08:54 AM

Does restoring the spyware fix the problem?

RE: Internet Explorer Issues by The Napster on 11-20-2004 at 11:22 AM

The power of the Windows CD!

After you do that you should get a program Like SpywareBlaster to stop too much spyware/adware to install. Note: It wont stop ALL, So you should run a Ad-aware/Spybot S&D Check weekly/monthly...

RE: Internet Explorer Issues by CookieRevised on 11-22-2004 at 12:24 AM

very far fetched, but when clearing some virusses some files could be become unregistered (eg: blaster virus). Also the same can occur when removing other stuff, so this may be related... try:
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll
?

it can't hurt if it doesn't work, so....

Also, much simpler, make sure S&D didn't change your Internet Security Settings (settings for the different "zones", aka internet zone, local zone, trusted websites, etc...)