Shoutbox

Search restrictions - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Search restrictions (/showthread.php?tid=34625)

Search restrictions by VuDu on 11-20-2004 at 10:47 AM

please remove that 4 min characters limit in the search because it makes it almost impossible to p.e. search for file extensions thread. i can't search for xml or ogg or whatever cause it wont let me.
i guess making the minimun limit to 3 wouldnt hurt the server that much and sure would make the life easier to those that use this forum ;)

RE: Search restrictions by Sunshine on 11-20-2004 at 11:04 AM

The minimum length for keywords/phrases is 4 characters, or 3 if you're only searching in subjects.

RE: Search restrictions by Millenium_edition on 11-20-2004 at 12:26 PM

cookie posted a post with "tips on searching". tried "xml " ? (with quotes)

RE: Search restrictions by CookieRevised on 11-22-2004 at 02:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by VuDu
please remove that 4 min characters limit in the search because it makes it almost impossible to p.e. search for file extensions thread. i can't search for xml or ogg or whatever cause it wont let me.
i guess making the minimun limit to 3 wouldnt hurt the server that much and sure would make the life easier to those that use this forum
Already asked many times before. The limit is there for server load issues. The limit is also not a big problem at all as there are many alternative things you can do...

Moral: you should have searched first before posting this request/comment, as this was handled/answered before (see below) :P

quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
cookie posted a post with "tips on searching". tried "xml " ? (with quotes)
CookieRevised's reply to Search: Under four character limit.

Related:
Ppl always asking questions that have been asked!
[split] use the search feature!
RE: Search restrictions by VuDu on 11-22-2004 at 12:47 PM

ok thanks, ;)
but im still laughing from the "xml " trick... :D lol. that made me realise that the searching for «xml» will work as «*xml*», i'm not used to that comparing to the all other forums i go to.
i'm not saying its wrong, i'm just saying i didn't thought it worked that way, since it's not explicit nowhere in the search page.

still thanks for the help. ;)

RE: Search restrictions by KeyStorm on 11-22-2004 at 01:46 PM

Well, if you have a sentence like:

quote:
I will try that in xml.
It won't work with "xml ". But then try "xml " " xml", which is more efficient.
RE: Search restrictions by CookieRevised on 11-22-2004 at 05:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by VuDu
but im still laughing from the "xml " trick... lol. that made me realise that the searching for «xml» will work as «*xml*», i'm not used to that comparing to the all other forums i go to.
i'm not saying its wrong, i'm just saying i didn't thought it worked that way, since it's not explicit nowhere in the search page.
Almost all forums have the exact same searchengine! They all work the same; If no other options are available or specified then it is always «*xml*» that is going to be searched...

In fact, everywhere you search in Windows, it uses the same non-word search unless you specifically enable the "words only" option if available.

In other words, there is nothing "strange" about it, it is the standard way used everywhere...

quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
Well, if you have a sentence like:
quote:
I will try that in xml.
It won't work with "xml ". But then try "xml " " xml", which is more efficient.
No, not on forums.

When you search for two words, it uses the AND operator, not the OR operator.

Searching for: "xml " " xml" means that the text should contain and "xml " and " xml".

see CookieRevised's reply to Search: Under four character limit.
RE: Search restrictions by KeyStorm on 11-22-2004 at 10:01 PM

Someone gotta halfstick that ;)

I noticed it did AND, but whatever, search both strings separately and you might find some more results. :P

Only that I didn't bother saying that. I feel sooo damn lazy today... |-)

RE: Search restrictions by .Roy on 11-23-2004 at 09:01 AM

i stil think it should change to 3... letters.. without doing all those extra steps..

RE: Search restrictions by WDZ on 12-01-2004 at 07:40 PM

I added a tip to the error message, that tells you about adding spaces to your keywords. :pound: