Shoutbox

[request] Temporary Static Page - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: [request] Temporary Static Page (/showthread.php?tid=34679)

[request] Temporary Static Page by Anubis on 11-21-2004 at 03:20 PM

Well I don't know about anyone else but I'm sick of all the guests visiting the "MsgPlus! for Messenger 7 - 3.40.110 BETA - Updated!" thread and maxing out the server load...So I was just wondering if there could be a temporary static page that comes up every time someone visits that thread with just the post from Patchou, to reduce the server load getting high

RE: [request] Temporary Static Page by scapeg0at on 11-21-2004 at 04:33 PM

This thread http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?mode...?
If mods wanted it static they would have made it that way :dodgy:. They have, after all, slimmed the thread down by having all replies minimized :wink:.

RE: [request] Temporary Static Page by Anubis on 11-21-2004 at 04:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scapeg0at
If mods wanted it static they would have made it that way
Mods can't make it static...Only someone with FTP access can, I believe...and do you even know what a temporary static page is?
RE: RE: [request] Temporary Static Page by scapeg0at on 11-21-2004 at 04:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
quote:
If mods wanted it static they would have made it that way
do you even know what a temporary static page is?

Yes. My point was that the thread has already been somewhat refined, which can be seen by clicking the link i provided.....if "a temporary static page" was as special as you make it out to be, it would have been implemented :wink:.
RE: [request] Temporary Static Page by Anubis on 11-21-2004 at 06:46 PM

quote:
if "a temporary static page" was as special as you make it out to be, it would have been implemented
No, it wouldn't have been...look it would reduce server load quite effectively
RE: [request] Temporary Static Page by Dempsey on 11-21-2004 at 07:06 PM

yea they did it for the handwriting thread, it just links to a 'standard' page taht doesnt perform lots of MYSQL queries and PHP commands, which increase server load

RE: [request] Temporary Static Page by scapeg0at on 11-21-2004 at 09:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
No, it wouldn't have been...look it would reduce server load quite effectively

Im just saying the thread has already been altered to i presume specifically reduce server load, while allowing users to post replies.

quote:
Originally poster by Dempsey
yea they did it for the handwriting thread, it just links to a 'standard' page taht doesnt perform lots of MYSQL queries and PHP commands, which increase server load

I dont know the "handwriting" thread, but if you mean it's static, the thread would have to be changed into a page users can't reply to, otherwise even if it has been specifially boiled down to reduce server load it's still dynamic (ie the thread this thread was about).
RE: [request] Temporary Static Page by CookieRevised on 11-22-2004 at 02:18 AM

quote:
I dont know the "handwriting" thread, but if you mean it's static, the thread would have to be changed into a page users can't reply to, otherwise even if it has been specifially boiled down to reduce server load it's still dynamic (ie the thread this thread was about).
That's exactly what he means; a static page, not linked to the database of the forum...

But, this was already discussed a week ago: server load limits all the time...
RE: [request] Temporary Static Page by WDZ on 11-22-2004 at 04:50 AM

As Cookie pointed out, this has been discussed. I can't make a fully static page for that post because Patchou needs to update it from time to time. I need to code an automatic caching system that generates and updates the cached version every time the post is updated, which isn't exactly easy. :p

RE: [request] Temporary Static Page by CookieRevised on 11-22-2004 at 04:56 AM

Convince Patchou to make one on the Plus!-server itself so he can change it whenever he wants (maybe with an added link to that thread so people can still react) ;)

RE: [request] Temporary Static Page by surfichris on 11-22-2004 at 07:08 AM

We should hopefully be moving these forums soon to a much bigger, and better server which will reduce this problem - and php acceleration software will also be installd (which effectively caches files in memory after they have been turned into machine code)

RE: [request] Temporary Static Page by WDZ on 11-22-2004 at 09:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
soon
For some reason, I don't really believe that. :p

I'm gonna try to make a simple caching system for that one post... I'm getting sick of the forums being so damn slow.
RE: [request] Temporary Static Page by _Humphreys on 11-22-2004 at 09:44 PM

quote:
We should hopefully be moving these forums soon to a much bigger, and better server which will reduce this problem - and php acceleration software will also be installd (which effectively caches files in memory after they have been turned into machine code)
Will we still get Max server load messages when over 400 guests view the forum when we move to the new server? Also will we be able to keep all of the forum stats and not start again? I am preety n00bish about server running and mybb so it would be helpful if you told me.
RE: [request] Temporary Static Page by WDZ on 11-22-2004 at 10:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Attitude Extreme
Will we still get Max server load messages when over 400 guests view the forum when we move to the new server?
We don't get them now, do we? ^o)

There can be 500 users online, and the server load is high, but not over the limit. The main problem I see is just the slow response time.

quote:
Originally posted by Attitude Extreme
Also will we be able to keep all of the forum stats and not start again?
Yeah, the database can just be copied to the new server.

Update: My caching thing works now, but there are some dodgy bugs I should fix... :dodgy:
RE: [request] Temporary Static Page by _Humphreys on 11-22-2004 at 10:09 PM

quote:
quote : Originally posted by Attitude Extreme
    Will we still get Max server load messages when over 400 guests view the forum when we move to the new server?

We don't get them now, do we?

There can be 500 users online, and the server load is high, but not over the limit. The main problem I see is just the slow response time.

Well I have saw one from time to time but they go after a min or two!

quote:
quote : Originally posted by Attitude Extreme
    Also will we be able to keep all of the forum stats and not start again?

Yeah, the database can just be copied to the new server.

Thanks I was just wondering so I don't look like a n00b on the new forum.;)
RE: [request] Temporary Static Page by WDZ on 11-23-2004 at 05:21 AM

OK, I think I've worked the bugs out of my caching system now. Users requesting the MsgPlus Beta thread from external sites will be redirected to a static HTML page: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/pid331874.html. editpost.php will automatically update that page when someone edits the post.

:banana:

RE: [request] Temporary Static Page by user13774 on 11-23-2004 at 12:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Users requesting the MsgPlus Beta thread from external sites

From externaal sites...? Like if people post the link on to that specific thread on another site and you click that link it doesn't open the forum thread, but the static page?

* Markus is testing it...

Hmm.. pasting this link (http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=34015) in my address bar links to the static....

Direct linking to Patchou's post (http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=34...d=331874#pid331874) works fine (opens the static)..

BUT.... linking to for example CookieRevised's latest post in the same thread (http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=34...d=339122#pid339122) also links me to static page which, of course, doesn't show Cookie's post... :dodgy:

Am I just being picky (or are you lazy :grin:) or is this a bug :wink: :tongue:

RE: [request] Temporary Static Page by WDZ on 11-23-2004 at 05:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Markus
BUT.... linking to for example CookieRevised's latest post in the same thread (http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=34...d=339122#pid339122) also links me to static page
Not for me, because my browser sends an HTTP_REFERER when I click it, and that lets my script know it's definitely not an external link. :p

But I'll do something about it anyway: if a pid is specified and it's not of Patchou's post, you won't get redirected to the static page.
RE: [request] Temporary Static Page by CookieRevised on 11-23-2004 at 05:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Originally posted by Markus
BUT.... linking to for example CookieRevised's latest post in the same thread (http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=34...d=339122#pid339122) also links me to static page
Not for me, because my browser sends an HTTP_REFERER when I click it, and that lets my script know it's definitely not an external link. :p
yup, same here, works perfect...

Although the forums are still slow though...
And I still get server load limits...